Heathrow Airport descends into fresh immigration chaos

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 400 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

I know there must be blindingly obvious reason why it doesn’t happen! Because its the same arrival protocol throughout the world! But why can’t UKBA merge the Immigration and customs check together. Surely it makes more sense to collect luggage and then go through a combined customs and immigration check. From an immigration point of view surely the amount of or lack of baggage is an indication of your real intent! It surely also means that staff can be more effiecently deployed? On another note ilm thinking of starting another thread called ” The blog sniping world cup”. I’m sure. I can get Michael Buffer to launch it! I will negotiate with the BT editors if I can sell it to my fellow contribuitors as a PPV thread for those of us who enjoy some of the personal bickering between some of us!

canucklad
    Participant

I know there must be blindingly obvious reason why it doesn’t happen! Because its the same arrival protocol throughout the world! But why can’t UKBA merge the Immigration and customs check together. Surely it makes more sense to collect luggage and then go through a combined customs and immigration check. From an immigration point of view surely the amount of or lack of baggage is an indication of your real intent! It surely also means that staff can be more effiecently deployed? On another note ilm thinking of starting another thread called ” The blog sniping world cup”. I’m sure. I can get Michael Buffer to launch it! I will negotiate with the BT editors if I can sell it to my fellow contribuitors as a PPV thread for those of us who enjoy some of the personal bickering between some of us!

Bucksnet
    Participant

canucklad, I agree that someone presenting themselves to an immigration officer with all their luggage would give a better idea of their intended visit, but we go through immigration first while we are waiting for our bags.

The ideal waiting time to go through immigration should be roughly the same time it takes for our bags to come out. There’s no hope of anything sensible like that though. Making it any faster would mean us waiting by the carousel instead, but it would benefit people with no bags.

canucklad
    Participant

Cheers Bucksnet. As I said blindingly obvious! YVR is the only place it might work as I’m normally landside within 20-25 minutes with my luggage! BD couldn’t get my pink tagged luggage from gate 8 to the domestic carousel quicker than the flying time from EDI ! So an immigration queue might have proved a distraction!

David61
    Participant

Bucksnet-if you read the thread you will see that Craig Watson posted the words ”delusional and paranoid”. not me. Because I agreed with his opinion,I said ”you are big time”.And you took offence!! Tominscotland made the nurse comments at both of us and others.When you continued in your usual manner,I made a flippant remark about calling a nurse for you-you obviously see the funny side of nothing so I really can’t be bothered anymore.And that is definitely my final comment on the matter.

Bucksnet
    Participant

David, I know what was posted in the past as it’s easy to read up. When you say ‘continued in your usual manner’ I presume you mean telling the truth, or telling it like it is. Please let me know if I’ve made any mistakes reporting the news items of today.

If you had any understanding of the situation you would know it’s not a laughing matter. I’m still waiting for you to impart your better understanding, but as you probably haven’t then it’s no wonder you’ve given your final comment before saying anything useful.

stevescoots
    Participant

Martyn, re your comment about TSA in UK. I flew out of San Diego on monday night and there were 2 British army troops (in Nato berets) discussing security with TSA officials, taliking to passengers and looking at some passports at check in in for the BA flight.

capetonianm
    Participant

Bucksnet is one of a small number of contributors on this forum whose comments make sense (*) and are coherent. The fact that they are unpopular with so many people is due to blinkered views about what may or may not be said for fear of being called ‘racist’.

(*) With the exception of his ‘shooting down’ theory of AF447 – we have to disagree on that!

Bucksnet
    Participant

Thank you very much capetonianm, I try my best. Nothing ‘racist’ about me, but this is not the issue with this topic. The main issue I can see with a lot of posters here, is their unwillingness or inability to get their head around the fact that what is happening is deliberate.

Disagree on 447 if you like, but others, including members of the intelligence community, agree on the shoot down.

canucklad
    Participant

Bucksnet…
    I would possibly agree that the decisions that have been made and the decisions that are going to be made are deliberate!

I would suspect that some of these decisions were made with the delusional belief that the impact would be minimal or even more delusional would make things more efficient.

I can also see that this government will also make decisions with the primary objective of creating mischief…as is the case with the all too predicable union response……the phrase falling right into the trap has never been so apt!

You need to convince me of the deliberate harm to UK PLC argument though!

Binman62
    Participant

Strike called off after government backdown.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-18982453

My last post on this thread predicted that she would back down.

She now has zero credibility and her departure is now long overdue.

JohnHarper
    Participant

May’s resignation is so long overdue. If she had resigned when she should have done, she’d probably be at the end of her second round of ministerial posts by now, again dismissed for incompetance.

Why Cameron keeps her and Osborne is a mystery, a bit like why BT continue to allow VintageKrug to post on this board.

SimonS1
    Participant

Damian Green always looks/sounds like some 1960s bank manager.

capetonianm
    Participant

“Damian Green always looks/sounds like some 1960s bank manager.”

Is that such a bad thing? In those days a bank manager was a respected member of community, whereas now the ‘bank manager’ is just a line of code in a call centre in Rawalpindi, or some wet-behind-the-ears pimply teenager with gelled hair and a cheap polyester suit and a garish tie.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

errr…My brother is an area Bank Manager and not a bad guy.He is certainly not based in the old empire nor is he a teen…actually now hitting 60.

Years ago he used to tell me fairy stories about one of his old collegues/mates “Fred “..a real go getter. ..wonder what ever happened to him.

Agree however re: the demeanors of Damian Green,Terri May and expecially that ner do well “Murdocks Runner”…the minister for sports,culture and media/jokes… what a bunch?

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 400 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls