Have you ever travelled domestically via an international transfer?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• Anonymous

Bath_VIP
    Participant

This story made me smile. It is about a guy travelling from Essex to Sheffield via Berlin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35424393

I have considered this option before, mainly Bristol to Scotland via Dublin. I also recall once last year seeing a reasonable fare from Bristol to Newcastle via Amsterdam.

Has anyone else ever done this?

Travelmate
    Participant

I have travelled from Stavanger to Aalesund via Amsterdam and from Oslo (Rygge) to Bergen via Gdansk and saved money and had nice trips with a day in two nice cities. Why not if I have the time?

conshaldow
    Participant

I can confirm that the via Amsterdam routing can be cheaper where the likes of Eastern Airways/BMI Regional are the only airline operating directly on the route and charge quite a high fare.

A few people in the office raised an eyebrow when they saw the routing but the saving outweighs the extra journey time.

Personally I find it quite interesting when these sort of options come up and would happily do it myself if the opportunity arose.

Olneyflyer
    Participant

Many years back I had the need to go to France for a meeting and took a Luton- Dublin-Beauvais routing with Ryanair. Good connections and had the added advantage of a proper Guinness at Dublin Airport waiting for my next connection. It did help that my meeting was only 15 miles from Beauvais.

superchris
    Participant

I travelled Norwich to Glasgow via Amsterdam once. Cheaper and significantly quicker than the train!

canucklad
    Participant

I’ve considered EDI to Cardiff via AMS or DUB before……
    Bit the bullet and finally paid for the convenience of flying direct.

Also EDI to Liverpool via DUB, but we ended up in Poland

Any rail executives should be seriously embarrassed that the good people of these islands even consider flying to the continent to get about GB cheaper and quicker than the railways!!!

Schaible
    Participant

Years ago I booked MUC to HAM. The Lufthansa flight was cancelled and I was going with Austrian via Vienna.

sandtrekker
    Participant

I live in Kent and last year Manston Airport was operating scheduled KLM flights. I needed to go to Aberdeen for the day and I was able to fly Manston-Amsterdam-Aberdeen and return on the same day. It was cheaper and more convenient than Heathrow or Gatwick. Alas, Manston is no more.

727jesmond
    Participant

I once flew Norwich to Liverpool via Amsterdam on KLM (both flights)..the through fare was cheaper than Norwich to Manchester, and took me to Liverpool where I really wanted to be, plus much faster than the train.I may do it again if Flybe’s service from Amsterdam to Liverpool becomes a codeshare with KL flight numbers too.

Oh and once went London City to Liverpool via Dublin when the trains were up the creek !

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Sandtrekker: also regret the loss of Manston to greedy property developers

Made a Bristol-Ams-Lba mixed into an Ams-Lcy-Ams that worked out very well if a bit bizarre! It maintained my substantial FlyBlue that other wise would have disappeared and fitted in with other trips.

SSTBeliever
    Participant

I fly SOU to INV via DUB on BE whenever the airlines schedule makes it possible – its cheaper, quicker and DUB far more pleasurable than MAN. The DUB to INV sector is on a Loganair Saab 2000 which I think is a much nicer airframe than the Dash and with Loganair hospitality! Although its two tickets rather than a through ticket as on the official routing I have never had a problem yet (if that route doesnt work I go via BHD although thats not quite international!).

dodger10
    Participant

Amusing story, but I think it goes to show the rail prices in the UK are as crazy as ever.

canucklad
    Participant

A while back I was placed into the grumpy old man category by a fellow forum member, can’t remember why but I had a wee smile to myself and carried on calmly.

Last night, whilst watching Question Time I found myself involuntarily cursing an inanimate object, otherwise known as my telly. Or to be more specific, a certain Patrick Mcloughlin, our esteemed transport secretary, as he replied to a question related to our intrepid international flyer.

His comments made his predecessor “Justine Greening” sound almost sage like in her ability to defend the indefensible.
    I struggle to understand why we end up with people in power who have the intellectual properties of a drunken newt !

Grumpy old man rant over !!!

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Interesting to hear people’s experiences here.

I may be doing this soon if the Aer Lingus Carlisle services are starting soon allowing me to do BRS-DUB-CAR. According to this other article on BT, they have been given funding by the Dept of Transport.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/flybe-confirms-exeter-norwich-launch-details?comment_confirm=1#add_comment

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls