Has Anyone Flown Emirates First?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

• Anonymous

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Mrs. LP has discovered some very interesting fares in F ex MXP with Emirates, which are about half those charged by Swiss. On top, they will collect us from Lugano by car and take us to the airport. That alone is worth about CHF 300 each way.

I’d be grateful if any fellow posters have flown F with Emirates could let me know how it is, what the lounges in Dubai are like and how it compares with say Swiss or Lufthansa.

Thanks in advance.

AB123456
    Participant

Yeah it is very impressive, are you on the A380 and most of the 777s now have the private suites, so that should be fantastic, if not will be a very comfy lie flat bed.

The First Lounge in Dubai is superb not too crowded and massive. Compared to Swiss, I wouldn’t worry they are just as go. Where are you heading to?

first_class_please
    Participant

If you like the “private suites” with closing doors, then great seating, usually very good food and an excellent IFE system.

I beleive you have used QR 777 business class previously, from MXP? It’s definitely much better than that.

Would certainly give it a try, especially if its half the price of Swiss.

DontTurnRight
    Participant

Varies a bit depending on plane type. A330-200 to be avoided if possible. A380 superb and the showers a big WOW – especially the zen type reception you get on emerging on some flights with the front bar converted into a fountain. Avoid the window seats in row one as they are noisier and slightly narrower than others. Also Dubai A380 terminal just opened which should be an added enhancement.

Baggageinhall
    Participant

Dear LuganoPirate,

I’m a huge Swiss F fan and have also flown Emirates F. Last year I flew FRA-ZRH-DEL on Swiss and then DEL-DXB-LHR on Emirates in First. A link to my trip report can be found below. I hope it’s of some help in comparing the two.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1401652-india-swiss-first-emirates-first-ba-club-europe-9w-domestic.html

In short, I prefer Swiss in the air and Emirates on the ground. Swiss isn’t however, worth twice the price.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Hi LP

Just did a run to India ex MXP with EK in F

EK are now running 3 departures ex MXP to DXB .

Beware that usually only 1 of these 3 EK flights carry the private suites in F. It is usually the 1405Hrs departure ex MXP. (The 0855 hrs dep ex Dubai) In time, I expect that the other 2 departures will probably convert but you need to be careful. I usually cheCk out the cabin config before purchase.

I have always complained in writing to EK that using a shared general lounge in MXP was poor and guess what happened last week? They opened a new dedicated EK lounge in MXP.

Being Lugano based with the chauffeur connection, I am surprised you don’t use them more often. I would!

Last week as I got off the train in Lugano SBB, the emirates driver was waiting on the platform. New Audi A8 to MXP in 50 mins.

777 ER with F suites to Dubai is really nice. Even If you get a 2 seats side by side in J, it is still a great offering, especially given the price.

Also the EK F lounge in DXB is so large and well kitted out with spa and waiter service restaurant.

On my last trip the metal parked remotely but we in F were transported in the dedicated F bus to the terminal. It felt very luxurious and I enjoyed it, despite loathing bus transfers.

I’ve done Swiss F to BOM and whilst nice, price wize there is no question which I’d choose again, it would be EK.

Lets meet up against soon, my brief 5 mins in Lugano last week did not really facilitate this!

MReedGB
    Participant

I can only share my experience with EK F flying from FRA…

while the complimentary limousine was okay and sufficient, my check in experience was quite slow and typical German staffs from the FRAPORT company and not EK, employee a bit rude and unfriendly.

Check-in manager near the F counter was very busy chatting with an another EK employee…sourly F check-in experience! Went one level up and pass immigration with breeze and in to the EK lounge..the experience here is quite average. The typical EK spreads are okay.

Gate was just opposite the lounge, but you have to pass security checks..and boy..the staffs did a thorough body searching…really pissed me and the EK staff assisting went all red! But this checks were not finish here…the EK staff warned me that the German Customs were conducting a random check for monetary funds which were not declared for exportation properly at the gate and these officers were normally checking premium pax as they have often more than 10.000 Euros or equivalent in foreign cash/cheques…and as said I was stopped at the gate by a female officer asking about the monetary funds I was carrying that evening…she was frankly very sincere and straightforward with her commands..”..show me your wallet….for what reason are you carrying so much funds…where did you stay in FRA…what did you buy in FRA etc…” Believe me I was lucky and relieved to have it behind me and awaited the EK F cabin only a few meters away!…Later was told it is a kind of normal routine in FRA that such Customs checks at the gate are conducted…so my friends be aware and inform yourselves, otherwise be prepared to pay monetary penalties !…scary indeed!..not the F experiece I expected !…

so finally in the famous known F Suite .. relaxing with some champagne and forgetting my German interrogation adventure..LOL! The seat just felt nice and with the door and high wall, I felt secluded and very private…service and food presentation/quality were overall good…actually the quality you have expected in F class…the amount of food as well as the attentive and friendly attitude of our leading female attendant from the Philippines were good as well …every call was answered friendly and swiftly…always around to look what you need without being intrusive…nice pyjama, amenity kit with full stuffs for men..seat/bed was for my taste alright and slept well…arrived well in DXB…no hassle at immigration and on my way to baggage claim and afterwards to my complimentary limousine…

Overall solid product and from time to time, you get information over great sales in J and F classes……

Comparing to LX and LH….regarding lounge experiences….the best for me would be F class terminal in FRA and F class lounge in Hall B in Terminal 1 FRA airport…in both lounges never had any problems with food, service attitude, almost every request was fulfilled…just perfect…

regarding the F class seat..I find both products alright and are equal….regarding service attitude and experience with flight attendants…I would rate LX in a tiny lead to LH..Swiss attendants are more chatty in a friendly way and are not too reserved…regarding food experience and quality…for me hands down’: LH…great caviar service with vodka…you can have all three hors-d’œuvre presented in a étagere…mostly great main course…great desserts…good choices of cheese…in A380 very spacious toilette( I think a lot of space wasted)…so from all three…it would be LH only a small margin behind LX and EK ….

rodders
    Participant

LP
    Have just used the new Emirates A380 terminal in Dubai, looks and feels like their existing lounges, but much quieter, good facilities, and direct boarding from the lounge to the aircraft. The A380 from DXB/JFK was excellent, so I would give it a go, though would add that the new A380 terminal is in its soft opening phase.

tonyb39
    Participant

I wife & I recently flew AKL/BNE/DXB/MAN/DXB/SYD/AKL
    Service at all points was excellent except SYD wherer lounge was abysmall.Also SYD/AKL food was v poor,commented to crew greeted with you should have told me earlirer,but on an a 2.45 flirght !!!!

tonyb39
    Participant

Sorry but we were wree F all th way

northseatiger
    Participant

I have used Emirates First a couple of times. Points to upgrade from Hambrg – Dubai on the A340, and in December I paid for a Nice – Brisbane return in First. The DXB – BNE flight was superb. At 14 1/2 hours on the return leg, I can only imagine a private jet would beat it. The cabin doors closed, superb IFE, exceptionally large and comfortable Bed and a choice of four windows to enjoy the passing sub continent. The lounge in Dubai was very well equiped, but it was very busy with a lot of gulf flights departing. The only slight disappointment to report was the Staff on the flight from BNE, slightly nonchalant, mostly British Emirates girls. They had 14 1/2 hours to catch up on gossip and were not too thrilled to oblige F passengers with infrequent request for water. Cathay and SIA could teach them a thing or two about service. DXB-NCE on the 777 was also excellent both ways. The lounge in NCE is terrible. A380 F sometime this year. The ticket price is reasonable to be honest, I have seen higher business class fares for half the distance.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Rather late to the thread, but yes, I’ve taken about 10 F sectors on EK.

Lugano, I put up my usual caveat with EK…..

If you get good equipment (388, 77W) it will be excellent and if you get a great crew it will be world beating.

On the other hand, if you get the ‘B’ team, A332, A343 or an old 777, the first beds (whilst flat and adequate) will come as a great disappointment, as they are 2-2-2, with little, if any, privacy and are really old fashioned. They would make good business class seats.

If you are unfortunate enough to get a poor cabin crew, then the whole experience will be very disappointing (from an F perspective.)

So, in summary, with Swiss you know what you get and it is consistent, whereas with Emirates, it’s a bit of a gamble, especially as EK does often change equipment at the last moment.

EK offers chauffeur drive, which will save you a lot of money, as you point out and the fare is about 50% of Swiss, so even if you get the ‘B’ team, one can argue it is still good value for money, if you can get your head around it being a J class + (the + bit being excellent F&B.)

Hope this helps.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks everyone, very useful comments and info here. I should have said the route will be MXP – DBX – JNB (or CPT) in April.

Baggage, that was quite a report, very informative and a useful comparison.

SwissExPat, I usually drive and leave the car with Travel Parking. They give me a very good deal and for three months I pay about €120. I’m back end Feb so let me know when next you pass through Lugano.

MReed, spot on about the Swiss Attendants, and LH do serve Caviar but their fares are about 30% more than Swiss and for that I could buy a whole pot of the stuff and still have some change! I also agree about the F terminal in FRA, though I think the JNB flights now go ex Munich?

Rodders, I was wondering about the lounge so thanks for that.

DoS, you summed it up with Swiss consistency, so I’ll have to check carefully the equipment offered if we book and bear in mind your caveat.

Statuswise I’ll make enough flights with Swiss to maintain Gold so can afford a flight or two with EK so I’ll let Mrs. LP read this and give it some serious thought.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Note that EK serve Iranian Caviar in F. I usually have it with the recommended chilled neat vodka!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls