Happy and Healthy Christmas and a successful and HEALTHY 2021

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

• Johnhighlander
    Participant

This is indeed a great idea and set of questions Martyn.

1.At home in the Chilterns.
    2. Goose with Trimmings and Trifle!
    3. A bottle of good red wine
    4.To get back in the air and clients meetings face to face
    5. I also wish and hope the virus will decline greatly and we are all safe in 2021!
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

fatbear
    Participant

1. Oxfordshire
    2. As it is just myself and the wife it will be a small affair. I am happy with just the stuffing, roast potatoes and sprouts, and as we are bored of Turkey we will be having roast chicken with it !
    3. It will be Champagne with the dinner, but we have a tradition of I drink Cointreau, Lime, Lemonade and Blue Curacao in the evening whilst the wife has Campari and Soda whilst cooking ( ho ho ! )
    4. Australia to see the family, and I would also like to go to various obscure parts of Europe to watch even more obscure football !

Merry Christmas to everyone !

KSHaggag
    Participant

Thank you Martyn for this initiative :

Well ,being in a different part of the world ,my input might be different from yours ,Gentlemen :

Here we are :

1-Location : Home in Alexandria ,Egypt

2-Food : Red Snapper

3-Drink : Lemon & Ginger

4-Travel wish : New ,off-the-beaten track destinations for me should the airlines reinstate their flights : Medellin, Hanoi, Victoria Falls .

Wish you ALL a Merry Christmas and a great ,brighter 2021 full of health ,wealth and GREAT flights .

1 user thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m a bit late, buy nice one Martyn and now with some hindsight:

Four questions.

1. Which town/country will you be in for your main Christmas meal: South Africa – Mossel Bay

2. What will you eat for your main course on Christmas day: Lamb, steak and sausages enjoyed in the company of 8 (plus us 4) other homeowners where we “Braai’d” in the bush in a picnic area with the occasional passing elephant!

3. Is there a special drink you will enjoy: Coke Zero, though Mrs. LP and the elder lad polished off 15 bottles of wine and numerous bottles of beer between them and the other homeowners. Luckily it’s a private reserve so no police controls!!!

4. One travel wish for 2021: Vietnam!

Happy new year one and all and may 2021 be a lot better than the last one!

K1ngston
    Participant

I too am late to the party so mine is how it was as opposed to how it will be ( if that makes sense?) And as always great initiative Martyn and Happy New Year to you all!

1. Singapore, we ate at one of the hotels here and I have to say it was very disappointing for the price!
    2. It was supposed to be Xmas based but we had lobster and crab to start and then turkey ( too dry) so we ate the Baramundi and the vegetables
    3. My husband doesnt drink and as there was just the two of us I remained alcohol free and drank a virgin mohito and water
    4. Travel wish is to be able to travel again in short, to see my family in the UK and Israel and West Coast US and get out and about business wise too

Swissdiver
    Participant

Happy New Year to all! I wish you all many great flights!

1. Which town/country will you be in for your main Christmas meal: It was in a chalet in Hérémence!

2. What will you eat for your main course on Christmas day: The usual Beef Wellington (more fun than any form of poultry).

3. Is there a special drink you will enjoy: a great red wine. This year we had Haut-Marbuzet 2001, Giscours 1995 and Langoa Barton 2000.

4. One travel wish for 2021: to travel! :-). I’d be happy to go back to Mauritius to pursue the business I started in March 2020.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I’m a bit late answering, but here is how it went:

1. Which town/country will you be in for your main Christmas meal: At home in HK with my girls! Yay!!!
    2. What will you eat for your main course on Christmas day: Roast guineafowl with all the trimmings. We don’t particularly like turkey (too dry, too big) whereas we can polish off a guineafowl in one sitting and it’s a lovely treat, especially with the Memsahib’s home-made stuffing
    3. Is there a special drink you will enjoy: Perrier-Jouet for all (and lots of it), Louis Latour Montagny 1er Cru for me, Jose L. Ferrer Ecologic for the Memsahib and Junior Offspring, Ki No Bi Kyoto gin for Senior Offspring (and some of my Montagny), followed by port. I can recommend Amarula with the Christmas pud too! The Memsahib struggles with dairy nowadays so was thrilled that I managed to get some dairy-free Baileys for her
    4. One travel wish for 2021: To be able to do some. HK is a claustrophobic place at the best of times and I’m itching to go somewhere, but the prospect of three weeks’ hotel quarantine on the return is just too off-putting.

TupeloKid
    Participant

1. Hong Kong
    2. Turkey and sides (pre-cooked from the FCC)
    3. “Virtuous Vodka” (Swedish brand)
    4. That other people can travel (so I don’t have to)

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

I’m even later but here goes:

1. Which town/country will you be in for your main Christmas meal
    At home in Hong Kong with family,12 of us plus Charlie the our much loved poodle

2. What will you eat for your main course on Christmas day
    Beef Wellington using whole New Zealand fillet excellent pate from the Jockey Club and champignons locally purchased but from France cooked by my not so fair hands. Accompanied by brussels sprout, baby carrots from M and S, local, baby new potato’s roasted and steamed yellow squash, port and beef bone reduction gravy.

3. Is there a special drink you will enjoy.
    Lots of Perrier-Jouet ‘Belle Epoque -2012 and a 2005 Chateau Grand-Puy -Lacoste for the main course. All ridiculously extravagant but no holidays in 2020 as we were stuck in HK since 20th January when we came back from South Africa. There was also a good port contributed by number 1 son but after consuming rather too much of the above I have no recall of its provenance.

4. One travel wish for 2021
    To be able to hop on the Monday morning 7.30 ferry to our China factory in Zhongshan (China) and, if I may, to spend a long weekend at the Bangkok Peninsula as soon as they will let us in.

For us here in Hong Kong of course the festive season is not over as Chinese New Year is rapidly approaching. I do like to cook and recently added to my cookbook collection the revised addition of ‘The Food Of Sichuan’ by Fuchsia Dunlop (Bloomsbury 30 BP) who is to Sichuan cooking what David Thompson is to Thai.
    I’m going to have bash at 3 or 4 of the easier dishes for the CNY dinner-should it all start go a bit pear-shaped my Asian wife who is a great cook is on the bench.
    Still thinking about the booze, any suggestions welcome.

I would like to thank everyone that contributes this forum for fun and information that it gives to me daily and to wish all the very best for both 2021 New Years

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1088216]

cwoodward

Lots of choices, but for a white wine I would always seek out a Riesling, most likely new world; Grosset Clare Valley is a particular favourite, and works well with pretty much everything.

I remember being very surprised when, at a quite formal banquet in Hong Kong, the host chose a Ch.Talbot to accompany the meat dishes. It actually coped very well indeed across most of the spice spectrum.

Happy drinking!

Swissdiver
    Participant

Sichuan cuisine being often spicy, the wine has to be up to it. I’d go more the the South (Chateauneuf du Pape or even an Amarone or a good Primitivo). That said, I’d go for a Talbot for a Pekin duck without hesitation!

RogenSwan
    Participant

The year 2020 was a very dramatic and traumatic year and I hope this year 2021 will be nice to us.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls