Gulf air (First) Vs Etihad (Business)

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Anonymous

alyxbkk
    Participant

Hey everyone
    I wonder whether anyone has experience either (both) of these airlines in their respective classes
    I am booked on both airlines but having difficulties choosing as I hear bad things about one of these airlines but not in the classes I am booked on
    Any advice is welcom (especially about check in and flight) Not that interested in the lounges as I know that both airlines do not offer the best standard
    Thanks

AGilchrist
    Participant

I have travelled on both airlines in both classes, and on Gulf Air its all dependant on whether you get the new First Class which is quite comfortable, the older seats are not as comfortable and you have the person in front reclined into your space. On Etihad business 777-300ER they have that off set effect and are very good and if you get a window seats its quite private, but whilst I found the seats comfortable I found the arm rests on the aisle side quite flimsy. Best of all was food on Gulf Air was extremely good but let down by the entertainments system which is far better on Etihad.

It depends on which flight your going on and the aircraft which you are on.

alyxbkk
    Participant

Thanks a lot for your answer
    We are flying couple so I guess that we’ll get privacy by getting seats together on either airlines
    On Gulf I have reserved the flights where it is said that we will be getting flat beds: one thing is sure we get them on the Abuh dabi Paris’ leg; as for the Bangkok Abu dabi’s leg we also chose the’right’ one (only twice a week; GF 158 and 159 ) but I was told by their staff that sometimes they switch aircrafts….
    I know that there is no more limousine for the airport ‘not bothered) but I am worried about the check in: I have read that there was (sometimes) only one counter for both classes and often delayed flights (well here goes the connecting flight as there is only one hour between the international arrival/departure) meaning that allthe efforts I put into the reservation of the right plane would go down the drain (at least for the way back to Thailand)
    Do I understand that first Gulf in those flight conditions would be your choice?
    Thanks again
    Alyx

alyxbkk
    Participant

By the way we are small built (5’6 and 5’8)

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

We have seat plans for the relevant aircraft for both Gulf Air and Etihad, and some useful information (though this is still being compiled) at
    http://www.seatplans.com/airlines/Etihad/Business-18
    and
    http://www.seatplans.com/airlines/Gulf-Air/First-1-16

I hope this is useful. If not, let us know and we will make sure we will do our best to improve it.

LondonGuy
    Participant

I’ve not flown either cabins but from what I hear, Etihad is excellent in business class where as Gulf can be quite hit and miss regardless of cabin.

Regarding your seat configuration, if you’ve booked it already, you should be able to access what aircraft you are flying on (subject to changes). Jump onto http://www.seatguru.com and have a play around there to see what is good and what isnt.

If you have to fly via the UAE, I’d recommend Qatar over all of them as it is a SkyTrax official 5-star airline has recenlty won the best Middle Easter Airline award. Alternatively, why not go for Paris-SIngapore-Bangkok with Singapore Airlines – best airline in the world as well as best business class. Alternatively, fly Cathay Paris-Hong Kong-Bangkok first class – another 5-star airline and best first class product in the world. Last recommendation would be to fly direct with EVA – they are meant to be a superb airline as well (recently won best Premium Economy carrier).

Let me know if you need more info.

alyxbkk
    Participant

Thals to the site administrator for the link

alyxbkk
    Participant

Thanks London guy for your exhaustive listing and explanations
    Of course if the fare was no objection I would go for Singapore but I get a good deal on Gulf First (same fare as on Etihad on Business)
    I do appreciate your unbiased view
    Thanks

Patrick-Brangan
    Participant

In this past year I have had four flights with Gulf Air in both F & J Classes. In J Class I had the best nights sleep on a J Class lie flat seat and the food and service were good. The flights I had in F Class were outstanding Food and Service by there Sky Chefs was the best that I have had, also ther manager in BKK a Mr Evans went out of his way to help me with aweel chair..Look no futher.

alyxbkk
    Participant

Thanks patrick I think that settles it considering the fare (put aside the risks of delay)
    I have also made sure to book a sleeper flights (which is twice a week departing from Abuh to Bkk: I just hope that I won’t miss the connection as I would have to takea normal first -non flatbed)
    Apart from Eihad which, in any case, seems to bequite efficiently run – I refer to the problems of Bangkok airport as they were the first to react and maybe the only one- I have the choice to fly Lufthansa Business (for an even better price)but looking at the seats I am pretty sure I am going to stick to your sound advice

alyxbkk
    Participant

Hey again Patrick
    one other thing : have you had the opportunity to go to use the first class lounge in Bkk – Abu or/and Paris
    many thanks again
    alyx

AussieM
    Participant

I have flown both also.
    Etihad’s seats (as well as the age & comfort of the aircraft ) are a much better quality & overall service.

I ceased flying GF for EY a few years ago. GF withdrew so many routes & seemed to be in decline, being more of a regional airline. My last flight with them was an awful experience, with luggage being badly damaged & no care for the replacement of it despite me staying out in the dessert & having to return a few days later.
    The aircraft was old, noisy, tired looking, service on the ground awful.

Etihad have new A345/6 & 773 aircraft.
    I have flown the 346 & 345 to/from Australia in Pearl Class, they are really superb, this being an ultra lh of 15 hrs. The 773 to Bangkok only has 2 classes so Pearl is further forwards, quieter, & a good experience.

For the future Etihad seem to be well funded, 100 new aircraft ordered 100 options. They have a very young fleet, of the best aircraft in the sky, & a fresh approach. Consitency is important, so why gamble on an Airline that you really are not sure if there service will be on an old aircraft, or old style seating day by day?

Surely, especially in this economic climate, reliability & value, as well as a future looking & financially stable Airline, is & will be, the most important??

TMan126
    Participant

I have flown both Etihad business and Gulf Business and First. The flght with Etihad was good although Idid find the seat a little narrow. It is very private though. For Gulf I have flown them several times in both business and first class but the planes out of Bangkok are generally the old seats and first class is not great nor is business. I found the crew very good BUT we had major delays and contracted food poisoning which I believe was clearly a result of food served on the flight. It simply could not have been anything else and was severe. The way our complaint was handled and the way the delay was handled for first class passengers was disgraceful. I ended up returning my frequent flyer card and will never fly with Gulf again. It is clearly a case of you get what you pay for and I would choose Etihad business over Gulf irst any day of the week. The new Gulf first class cabins are very nice though.

alyxbkk
    Participant

Thanks to both of you Mark and T Man
    Well I guess that puts me back to square one
    I’ll be flying in June and will have to decide by end January, which gives me time to think
    I am aware of the effectiveness of Etihad (especially during the week long blocade of the Bkk’s airport as they were the first to react not to say the only one)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls