Greedy Amex

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

• navnov11
    Participant

– You could also get the card –> spend 3K –> earn bonus –> cancel card and get a pro-rata refund on your card…
    – Also, after 6 months, you can repeat the cycle to continue earning bonus points.

slotski
    Participant

I have the BA PP Amex. Last Christmas and this Christmas I have managed to redeem two CW seats to LAS/SFO, it is unfortunate the Avios required has increased from 100k to 150k, but for me, this still represents great value. I happened to call AMEX yesterday and apparently the increase kicks in from September and as my renewal is in August, I will only be charged £150 this year.

peter19
    Participant

rferguson, I think it was stated in the US that it would end the pro rata but not confirmed for the UK yet? Could be wrong though – I read that on HFP at the time I think.

I presume the increase in price although starting in Sept will be on your Annual renew date.

ASK1945
    Participant

I am with you esselle and rferguson.

I believe I was the first person to get a 241 voucher from Amex soon after the turn of the century (but I will stand corrected), and I have used a voucher every year since then – Transatlantic flights to North and Central America, South Africa, Australia and the Far East, all in Business Class.

Whilst the increase is whopping, it still represents a great deal. Indeed, I was dreading a withdrawal altogether, after I read about the EU ruling in relation to credit card charges.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

For those who benefit from the travel benefits, make sure your card has the travel insurance policy and not just insurance benefits…

Filbyemt
    Participant

Not happy about this but what can you do?

qwest01
    Participant

We can thank the EU for this. In their attempts to improve things for customers – there’s a laugh, they have ensured that cards with benefits no longer make economic sense for the card issuers. So my benefits from Tesco have been decimated. It was only a matter of time that Amex followed – even if the did not have to – the fact that they could was enough to make it happen.

esselle
    Participant

I really don’t get the problem.

Spend £10k in a year, and get a 241.

All for £195.

MrMichael
    Participant

Another disgraceful example of a company making a profit from its customers…..I really don’t know what the world is coming to.

openfly
    Participant

The BA Amex Card ….. Greedy Amex and Greedy BA ….. A perfect partnership!!

mkcol74
    Participant

@paulcourt I don’t see what the issue is when the £150 had not changed for ~13 years
    Had the price increase followed inflation rate (per the BoE) then you’d be looking at ~£213

MrMichael
    Participant

Brilliant mckol74

DanielRawson
    Participant

Unless it’s from a monopoly I never have a problem with price increases. Nobody is forced to use the AMEX card so we have a choice if we don’t like the price. I used to have the Centurion Card until they increased the price. I understood their methodigy which was to reduced the amount of clients and still make the same money by charging 3 times as much.

sparkyflier
    Participant

+ 1 to RFerguson – brilliant customer service. Really superb- and others should learn from them. For Customer Service on the phone, Vodafone has to be the worst..

Cwyfan
    Participant

How do we obtain a waving of the fee if we have both cards?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls