Government advice not to travel

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

If going on a summer holiday is accepted as a valid interpretation for “essential travel”, I cant think of any excuse for anyone NOT to travel overseas. Perhaps if Professor Ferguson had arranged his liaison overseas instead of across town, or Dominic Cummings’s parents lived overseas instead of the north of England, then there would have no reason for one to resign and the other to hold a press conference in the PM’s garden.

Of course, the FCO’s ADVICE, remains travel only for essential reasons…

1 user thanked author for this post.
    BPP

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1001160][/postquote]

Martyn, in your post you referred to Dominic Cummings travelling to his parents in Durham. I also asked my MP about this and was told:

“However, on the 24th March, once lock-down had begun, the deputy chief medical officer for England, Dr Jenny Harries, clarified at the televised press conference who could look after a child if both parents or carers were incapacitated. She said: “Clearly if you have adults who are unable to look after a small child, that is an exceptional circumstance. And if the individuals do not have access to care support – formal care support – or to family, they will be able to work through their local authority hubs.” In this instance Cummings did have access to family in Durham. The distance is not the issue.”

My MP did not answer my question about whether Dominic Cummings visit to Durham castle was an easy misunderstanding as to the difference between “Self isolating” and “self eye-testing”

1 user thanked author for this post.

simeoncox
    Participant

Mine is not a definition, but a guideline. It guides those who have difficulty in distinguishing want from need; urgent from indulgent; excuse from reason. If you want to wave the bleeding obvious as examples, go ahead, but for the less obvious – and frankly egregious – examples of self-interest, my rule of thumb offers a guide.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls