Government advice not to travel

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

• handbag
    Participant

Anyone else confused. The government says

“The Foreign & Commonwealth Office currently advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. This advice is being kept under constant review.”

Spain has said that they are opening its borders as there are so many with 2nd homes (as I have).

If the government here is saying only essential travel, then even if Spain is allowing from the UK, then we shouldn’t go.

When I listen to the news reports , the UK ruling is not mentioned.

Am I missing something.

SimonS1
    Participant

Well pretty much every Government around the world has their own view/interpretation. Inevitably there will be some conflict.

GivingupBA
    Participant

“The Foreign & Commonwealth Office currently advises British nationals against all but essential international travel.”

Yes, I’m confused too, because the FCO do not define “essential” in “essential international travel” – so it’s up to you / us / me to define it.

1 user thanked author for this post.

handbag
    Participant

[postquote quote=1000931][/postquote]

Totally understand that there will be conflict/difference of opinion. What I am not understanding is why our government is not saying “even if Spain accepts you , we are saying You can only go for essential travel “.
    Unless people are trawling websites for latest info, would they be aware.

Or have I go it wrong and I can travel???

cwoodward
    Participant

The totally confused advising the absolutely confused !
    Probably just applying a little informed common sense and taking your own path is the best way forward.

handbag
    Participant

I totally agree about using common sense. What I don’t think is good , is relying on people to use common sense and sending mixed messages. I have been trying to be so careful, as have many with common sense. Unfortunately there are a lot that are not.

Also, would travel insurance even be valid if travelling and government recommendations are saying not to. Again if this is the case it should be made clear. It would be interesting to see what someone like Simon Calder or Martin Lewis have to say. [postquote quote=1000937][/postquote]

GivingupBA
    Participant

handbag said, “Also, would travel insurance even be valid if travelling and government recommendations are saying not to. Again if this is the case it should be made clear. It would be interesting to see what someone like Simon Calder or Martin Lewis have to say.”

Travel insurance is an important point there for me. It would indeed be good to hear what Simon Calder / Martin Lewis say, but for me and maybe anyone the medical cover is vital and if I was flying e.g. to the USA this week, I personally would ask my insurer about it before going (it’s only a phone call maybe).

PatJordan
    Participant

Travel Insurance is certainly a valid point in these circumstances.

I have an annual multi-trip policy and contacted my provider asking if any consideration had been given to extending the period of insurance in view of the (effective) travel ban due to the lockdown.

I would have thought this was a perfectly reasonable request. Particularly as the travel ban means that travel insurance providers are enjoying a claim free period.

However, my provider was quite clear in saying “no” to this suggestion.

Have other posters any views or experiences on this, or is it possible that I am wrong in my approach?

Stay safe everybody.

Pat

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1000935][/postquote]

If you think it is essential to travel, then indeed you can.

The Government is not saying “even if Spain accepts you we are saying you can only go for essential travel“. It is just a recognition that with hundreds of countries changing border restrictions on a frequent basis it is not always possible to spoon feed individual travellers.

If you know the Spain borders are open, you have a flight, and it is important to travel, then clearly you have the facts available to take responsibility for your own decision.

Clearly discussions about a reciprocal agreement with Spain are ongoing, in the meantime there is indeed an element of common sense here.

handbag
    Participant

SimonS1

I have a flight, but won’t travel if the recommendation from UK is not to travel.

I have a house an old house that is in the process of being renovated and would very much love to see the progress.

The point is,for the average person that does not read articles or do any research, the news is giving the impression that Spain is open for going on holiday. No mention of government advice about essential travel. How can they use common sense if they don’t have the facts.

SimonS1
    Participant

I’m not sure how you can help people who don’t read or do any research in the current environment.

It takes about 10 seconds to google “travel advice Spain” which gives a link to FCO website.

Good that you now have the facts and can make an informed decision.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Handbag, this was a recent lively discussion on the same theme:

Wizz to restart services from Luton from May 1st

The key word for international travel appears to be “The Foreign & Commonwealth Office currently advises British nationals” – it is not a rule as defined for travel, within the UK hence, why a certain somebody needed a press conference in the PM’s garden to justify his UK travel actions.

Whilst I understand border control have the authority to establish whether a passenger is travelling for essential purposes, I have not read of any outbound/inbound passenger being challenged about the essential nature of their travel.

Over the last few months it has been perfectly acceptable for a person to travel from any point on mainland UK to Heathrow to catch a flight deemed as ‘essential’ by that person. However, until recently, a road trip for a day out was not considered essential.

As others have suggested, i would certainly check whether your travel insurance remains in force with the current FCO travel ‘advisory’

2 users thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Knowing the way insurers think, if the Gumment says don’t travel (or even “advises”,) I imagine that there is now way in hell they will pay a claim under the current circumstances. Especially for the US for instance.

GivingupBA
    Participant

PatJordan said, “Travel Insurance is certainly a valid point in these circumstances… I have an annual multi-trip policy and contacted my provider asking if any consideration had been given to extending the period of insurance in view of the (effective) travel ban due to the lockdown… I would have thought this was a perfectly reasonable request… However, my provider was quite clear in saying “no” to this suggestion… Have other posters any views or experiences on this…

I have an experience, I flew to South Korea from London at the beginning of March (PS before the FCO advice was in place). I have an annual multi-trip policy, maximum 90 days for any one trip. I have a return ticket but have been stranded here (not a bad place to be) till now in a flat because my airline cancelled all their May and June flights to London. I passed the 90-day limit, and contacted my travel insurance company (which I shall refrain from naming, I don’t like name & shame) and asked them to please kindly extend the 90 days and my cover, saying I would gladly pay of course.

They refused, saying the limit was the limit. I understand, of course, but found that quite inflexible.

capetonianm
    Participant

[quote quote=1000940]I have an annual multi-trip policy and contacted my provider asking if any consideration had been given to extending the period of insurance in view of the (effective) travel ban due to the lockdown.[/quote]
    My insurer (Staysure) have offered a three month extension as below.

Existing AMT policy holders can have credit for their remaining premium if they chose to cancel and rebook a new AMT policy. The new policy will offer 15 months cover for the price of 12 and cover start date can be delayed by up to 30 days giving customers more flexibility with their cover in light of the current situation.

As regards whether or not one can travel, I am confused and disappointed at the lack of clarity and coordination between the various entities involved.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls