GLOBAL AIRLINES

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Mark
    Participant

Global airlines.
    Just looking at their website.
    Any other news beside a “spring introduction” ?

Love the branding on the A380.

Anyone seen the aircraft painted up anywhere!

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Sorry to sound so incredibly negative but this airline is a nonsense.

If they ever launch scheduled services it will be a miracle (they are now talking about starting up on a charter basis); if they do, and last a year, that will be an even bigger miracle.

I’ve been to fish markets that smelt better.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Mark
    Participant

Yours is a valued opinion.
    The livery is awesome. Would have loved to seen it live.

cwoodward
    Participant

Well the do own an aircraft a 12 y.o, ex China Southern A350 that has is to be operated by Hi-Fly Malta and is being re registered by them.
    The airline is (or was) a wholly owned subsidiary of Holiday Swap and headquartered in London, United Kingdom.
    Seemingly it is owned (?) by CEO James Asquith and “backed by aviation experts and investors around the world”.

The management team seem to be a moving feast – Johannesburg based Quentin Quentin Tomaselli is now listed as the CEO and Richard Stephenson, former communications director of the UK Civil Aviation Authority for 6 years, was appointed as CCO. In June 2023, Global Airlines announced Texas-based Matthew Brown[8] of Matthew Brown Companies had assumed the role of Shareholder and Advisor at Global Airlines, to focus on formulating the company’s future investment strategy
    Global is listed as having a further three A380s ‘on order’ and the refurbishment of the current aircraft is seemingly at present being refurbished.
    The Guardian did a piece on the owner Holiday Swap a while ago
    https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2022/oct/15/home-swap-holidays-stay-for-free-save-cost-of-living-crisisggt

Will they ever operate its previously announced routes from London to New York City and Los Angeles in spring 2024 ? I suspect not. Will it operate at all-I believe about a 50/50 chance.

norbert2008
    Participant

I do hope they do get off the ground as it would really shake up the industry. But its a huge undertaking to make a profit from it. I also have a friend working for them and feel he wouldn’t have joined unless he felt it would work. Wonder where they will find the cabin crew and will they be ‘very British’ or mixed from main global nations?

Rferguson2
    Participant

The CAA confirmed that they do not yet have an application for a UK AOC from Global. Considering that the CAA website itself states that these take a minimum of 6 months (up to 18 months) to process, I am dubious. If 6mth is the minimum and 18mth the maximum for a brand new airline I would say it will be at least 12mths (airlines already operating that wish to fly to the UK also have to apply to the CAA for a UK AOC).

WHY would they not have yet applied for an AOC if they want to launch flights in 2024? An AOC is the most vital thing they need to launch.

In a new airline start up many things outside the airlines control can delay launch – delays to aircraft and new seats from manufacturers for example. But applying for the right to actually operate flights is like New Airline 101. And they haven’t even submitted an application.

Something is amiss with this airline. Like, why does Global as a brand have more instagram followers than Virgin Atlantic?

5 users thanked author for this post.

CheerUp
    Participant

‘Like, why does Global as a brand have more instagram followers than Virgin Atlantic?’

Have you seen James’ Instagram presence? He has a wide following and a honest approach to the airlines that many appreciate.

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

I’d really want to see them start but i doubt they will.

1. Last year they announced that they had acquired their 1st A380. This was an aircraft that flew for Singapore Airlines then HiFly. That plane needed new business class seats as those installed were only certified to fly till 2021. The reason is a scandal from 2011 where it emerged that seatmaker Koito had falsified data to get a fast certification. A certain John Walton from RunwayGirl network had the full story last year. What happened to that plane?

2. Global today then announced that they had acquired their First A380 (again). That’s the Ex China Southern one and it would keep the seats but the interiors would be revamped.
    3. Global might own the plane but it’ll be operated by HiFly. As Rferguson2 posted, why haven’t they applied for a AOC till now? A EU AOC would be apparently easier to get than a UK one post brexit.

Now the talk of charters makes me think that they’re actually planning to operate some Hajj flights. And i remember reading somewhere that LGW didn’t have anymore slots than those operated by Emirates.

Let’s wait and see.

SimonS1
    Participant

An airline with no AOC and one aircraft (allegedly). Sounds like little to no contingency and a big EC261 bill when it goes tech.

Good luck to all concerned but I think I’ll pass.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Global just took ownership of its first 380 which is registered and undergoing tests in Malta. Aircraft registration is 9H-GLOBL. I wish them well, I’m a glass half full type, I encourage any entrepreneurial venture, good on them, operationally perhaps some challenges but they seem to have a good bench of experienced people and clearly some money behind them. Fly high!

cwoodward
    Participant

The aircraft is ultimately going to have a Hi-fly Malta registration I read – it has actually been leased from Global according to the same article. Hajj flights seem very likely.
    Some unlikely start-up do get off of the ground – there is a British registered UK based freighter 747 that flys into Hong Kong every week. Operated I understand by small UK freight company. I recall reading about this start-up when they purchased the aircraft and thinking “thats never going to happen………

AndrewinHK
    Participant

The AOC lists Hi Fly as the temporary registrant. Whatever form it ends up taking, charter, Haj flights etc, getting an aircraft operating and in the air is a success in my book. Haj flights normally are Y dense aircraft Global always outlined a premium configuration.

SimonS1
    Participant

Seems that another aircraft has been acquired. This all has a certain comedy value.

Global Airlines Acquires China Southern Airbus A380

Nick Pike
    Participant

It really does go to show how a lot of people can fall for delusional PR. Anyone with knowledge of the airline industry will know that virtually everything they have claimed about their future airline operation is nonsensical- although, as the previous poster has said, it does have a certain comedy value.

2 users thanked author for this post.

trident3
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls