Getting up before the seat belt sign goes out

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)

• NTarrant
    Participant

I’ll second that Martyn, I was always taught that one earns respect. I suspect some of those “a…e licking business men who think someone died n made them god…” probably started off respecting and then that respect died because of attitude.

Charles-P
    Participant

I had a recent experience of the value of waiting until the light goes off. Returning from Tel Aviv on an El Al flight the man in front of me got up, the plane lurched and he fell over hurting both himself and someone else nearby. Amazingly he then started to complain to the crew about the pilot’s control of the aircraft saying he would lodge a complaint. The senior steward silenced him with,
    “That’s why we have tell you not to stand up Sir”

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

So many responses here refer to the obvious danger in getting up BEFORE ENGINE SHUTDOWN when the aircraft can easily lurch forward unexpectedly. Can we please have some comments from flight and cabin crew posters to my original question of the danger, if any, of getting up ONCE ALL ENGINES HAVE CLEARLY BEEN SHUT DOWN, which is audibly obvious unless you are significantly hard of hearing, irrespective of the number or type of engines.

One response refers to a tow-in gate, something I’ve certainly never heard of let alone experienced. I know there were plans to tow aircraft to the runway before engine startup to save on fuel and emissions and presumably the same could apply after landing, but haven’t heard of it being implemented. I know that one engine if a 2-engine aircraft and so on may well be shut down after landing with taxi on one again to save fuel, but shutdown of all engines before arriving at the gate – where does this happen? Clearly that could present a danger of lurching even after engine shutdown, but the law of averages would tend to have delivered that experience to people like ourselves over the years unless it is confined to a certain airport or country etc.

RichHI1
    Participant

AA alays use tow in on 137 into LAX as the gate is too narrow to permit power up to gate with a 777 and Gate 41 has the International access. This also happens on some gates at JFK.

Other airlines do it from time to time where the clearances of wide bodies jets are tight in those gates.

MarcusUK
    Participant

I am half in Amsterdam and London these days, so i fly once a week between LCY -AMS on Cityjet / AF RJ85’s.

It fascinates me how stupid people are to just stand up as mentioned in the posts above, as they then cannot all get their bags out or all stand up, as the plane is pretty small. Rear and front doors are used at LCY, but not at AMS, front only.

No one is going anywhere, or will get any faster or ahead of the passengers in front of them!!!

Those who have top use their mobiles, and cannot leave a laptop for the 40 minute flight, appear addicted to their technology as if it is a status to show off, and these people tend to be the worst.

It is either stupid and un-intelligent, or simply selfish behaviour.

KLM are quite strict and the pursers will chase people over the microphone if they do get up before!

Are their Airlines who are strict on this and others more lapse?

Still, not as bad as an Emirates flight some years ago, which was populated by a lot of Indian origin passengers. As the back wheels hit the runway, they started to get up before the front wheels were down!

RichHI1
    Participant

MarcusUK I agree that RJ’s have restricted room and people have to deplane in order. For this reason infind it incredibly selfish when passengers stand in the aisle repacking or trying to remember which pocket their passport is in. When the aircraft deplanes people should do it in an orderly expeditious way not trying to push ahead and Not holding everyone up. Flying seems to confuse some people, they resenble rabbits in headlights and cannot adjust their carry On Once in the terminal.

craigwatson
    Participant

Bunnahabhain – it may have happened to you without you knowing. (tow in that is), whether power up to gate or tow in to gate, the engines keep running until AT the gate. If you notice the seatbelt sign usually goes off a few seconds after engine shutdown, as its all done by checklist which only takes a few seconds to do.

RichHI1
    Participant

Craig, AA always shut down before tug hitches and they always make the tow in announcement for newbies.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Craig can you refer to my original posting on this thread then and explain why at BHX once it was something like 5 minutes after engine shutdown on the Q400 before the seat belt sign was switched off. I accept that the usual variation is measured in seconds, with a range of something like 5 or even less to around 30. On the old adage of a watched pot never boils, those 30 seconds seem to be too much for many pax to endure.

Scientific level of rigour please.

FirstFleeter35
    Participant

Passengers who stand up before the seatbelt signs go off do themselves no favours, a crew friend of mine had a lady on one of her flights who fell when the aircraft suddenly lurched forward during parking, and she fell and broke her ankle, not the ideal start to your holiday or business trip! The best solution, stay seated until safe to stand. the aircraft might have stopped, doesnt mean it cant suddenly lurch forward, the wheels need to be chocked and power shut down, hence the need to wait just a few more seconds before it is absolutely safe to stand. You wont disembark any quicker!

spudseamus
    Participant

these “I’ve got to first off the plane” people are the same types who jump a green light ect. I just sit and wait — ahhh Karma !

GordyUK
    Participant

“I have seen many passengers get sent flying down an aisle cos they stood up before the aircraft made that final break to a halt onstand.”

Good as far as i’m concerend. I don’t know why, but this infuriates me. I often wish the captain would deliberatley jolt the aircraft forward and knock there idiots over like skittles. Its just another example of how normally sensible people become sheep when they are herded together

GordyUK
    Participant

one thing that is clear is there is no consistency between different carriers and international equivalents of the CSA. I’ve been on American flights where the wheels have barely scorched the tarmac and the FAs are announcing “you can now use your celle phones”, yet with our UK CSA you almost have to be back home before you dare turn then on 🙂

croomes30
    Participant

I’m amazed how people can do this when it jeopardises everyone’s safety – after all, neither can I see the point of it, you all have to queue at immigration and passport control, so what’s the rush.

I’d be interested in whether people have noticed if it’s a ‘country’ thing too – on many flights between the US, Canada and the UK I have experienced it very little, but into SE Europe (I won’t mention the specific country, but it begins with ‘B’), I have witnessed it on every single flight – the worst was only back in May when we were only just off the runway and half the economy cabin were at the door before!

RHMAngel
    Participant

Before this thread heads into accusations of picking on a country… yes I noticed this. Asia and Africa being a case point.

Yes, those living in the west (that includes different races classed as American or UK by citizenship or birth) – are used to following orders and requests.

It was told to me (by an Indian ethnic person) perhaps Asians and Africans don’t follow orders as there’s this instinct to look out for yourself when it comes to transportation at least, and thus to rush off or rush on.

A Chinese friend also commented, he noted his countrymen being really irate to get onto a plane when back seat numbers were called – and would surge regardless (BA asked for orderly queues, a Chinese airline, didn’t bother), as Chinese airlines just give up trying to handle an orderly embarkation.

Remember flying, is still ‘new’ to some people around the world.

But yes, ALL people irrespective of geography or skin, need to learn to obey the requests for their own safety. I also agree, the pilot should go ahead and jolt the plane ! and people might learn.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls