Getting the most out of BA’s Galleries Lounge in Terminal 5

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Anonymous

1nfrequent
    Participant

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I’ve been checking out the other BA threads on this Forum as I’m booked to fly Business Class in a couple of months on the 09:40 LHR to LAX flight and wanted to know if anyone had tips for getting the most out of it. I’m only a Blue card holder (although this trip will take me to Bronze and due to business trips I’ll be silver by the end of the year).

I’ve seen the thread talking about how it’s difficult to get an appointment for an Elemis treatment. Does it make any difference if you get there really early (e.g. 6am) or is it just booked up no matter when you get there?

Can you get a decent cooked breakfast in the Lounge or is it more pastries and yoghurt?

Is there anything else that people would suggest taking advantage of in the lounge?

Cheers in advance.

1nfrequent

joeash8
    Participant

Firstly factor in the 20 mins to get to the lounge entrance from security. Book Spa treatment straight away. You will have a good chance of getting a slot that early in the morning. Possibly a quick shower before treatment to make the most of facilities? Forget about the cooked breakfast (overcooked eggs and under cooked bacon) and stick to a continental, with a Bucks Fizz ; glass of champagne on request. Would recommend to board early, so grab a takeaway tea and a copy of BT for the trip and enjoy.

JonathanM8
    Participant

If your flight goes from a B Gate, then consider going to the Galleries Lounge on B Concourse, which tends to be quieter. However, if you go to the Galleries South Lounges and the Spa is booked out, ask them to check availability at the B Cooncourse Galleries lounge – I have got a spa treatment several times doing it that way

alexlondon
    Participant

Whilst a spa treatment is, of course, a nice touch, it really is not worth going out of your way to get to LHR especially earlier for. If they have room when you get there, great. If not, you’re really not missing too much.

I would advise you to head to Galleries South, check the spa (but don’t be disappointed if no room) and go and enjoy the lounge. Avoid cooked stuff (will just leave a greasy film in you so you won’t be able to enjoy food/wine on your flight – usually used by those on short haul trips) ask for some Champagne, top up with orange and enjoy an hour reading and resting – or head to the “cinema.” The lounge is a lovely start to a flight but it is just a lounge and not worth missing too much sleep for!

Have a great trip!

VintageKrug
    Participant

If you enter from South Security (near Club check in, and faster) it takes about four minutes at a leisurely walking pace from after security to the Galleries, not 20 as suggested above.

It’s faster to get to the Galleries than most loungs I’ve been to, though perhaps seems longer due to the need to use escalators, because T5 is built “layered” due to the smaller land footprint available between the two LHR runways; another negative of this space-constrained site.

Of course, you might be able to upgrade to F using cash (around £399) either via MMB or at Check In; it’s always worth asking. That would get you into the Concorde Room, and the hallowed “white door” direct access.

There are three Galleries lounges at LHR T5, but you’ll only get to use T5B if your flight is departing from there. DO NOT go there unless you flight is departing T5B as it can be time-consuming to get back.

Id recommend the Galleries South, but if you have time and are happy to lounge surf then have a wonder through the shops to the North Galleries.

The advice to head directly to book a Spa treatment is sound; many people arrive 2-3 hours before they fly, and I think you cannot get an appointment within 45mins of your departure time, so for an 0940 departure time you have a tight window of 0700-0845 appointments (last time I took an early flight the spa didn’t open until 7am, but that might have been seasonal/specific to that day); getting there early is a good plan.

If your flight is from T5B, remember there’s a spa there so ask them about that at the desk as they can book it from T5A (and the T5B therapist is the best one IMHO) BUT you mustn’t go to T5B unless your flight is departing there.

If you can’t get a therapist appointment, then ask for the “chair massage” without a therapist on the automated chairs; very relaxing.

You’ll get plenty of bacon in the lounge, beans and toast, so a solid brekky, but the scrambled eggs are not top notch so avoid those.

Champagne/Buck’s Fizz/Mimosa on request.

Check out the vintage BA adverts on the walls and the other artworks are also worth a look.

There’s a voucher for money of Duty Free if you have a search of the forum.

SwissExPat
    Participant

On a recent F trip to HKG on BA departing 1830 I arrived in the Concorde lounge at 1305 and was only able to get an Elemis spa booking for 1700!

Was given the number for youFirst to call ahead in future.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Here is a CGI of the lounge, which must have cost a fortune to make, but strangely no longer features on the BA site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5iFqxSUAv4&list=UU1rs0igTG0XQD35nCRMgKDA&index=10&feature=plcp

1nfrequent
    Participant

Very many thanks to all for all the advice. Sounds like I can count on a decent continental breakfast but shouldn’t count on a spa treatment unless I’m really early.

VintageKrug – many thanks for pointing out the voucher, which I shall definitely be taking with me.

Gotta say, I’ve picked up an awful lot about airlines, airports and different offerings from lurking here so I’m grateful to all the posters.

1F

VintageKrug
    Participant

No problem.

You may also find a £10 Duty Free voucher from Amex coming through your door imminently, though you’ll already be eligible for Fast Track, so I imagine the Fast Track will now be clogged with a slew of Nannies and Housekeepers to whom the vouchers have been donated.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

Re breakfast – you get nothing except some rolls and croissants, Compared to their full hot buffet offerings after 1200hrs, this is quite poor. I have commented to them on this but doesn’t look likelly to change.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Should be a more substantial offering pre-1200hrs MrBond.

wilson3
    Participant

Excellent bacon rolls plus a very good selection of breakfast goodies plus champagne on request.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Though of course might differ from outstations..

1nfrequent
    Participant

Ooh. Champers at breakfast. I might just have to experience that!

1F

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls