Future Heathrow: T5D, T5E & Yet More T5A

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

• ScottWilson
    Participant

The one big thing T2 will do is bring Star Alliance airlines together so will provide some welcome relief to T3. I don’t know if the intention is to bring all *A airlines into T2 at once, shift the T3 ones first or the T1 ones first, but I hope it is done in a way to avoid the T5 teething difficulties (the T3 ones first makes some sense as it brings them all closer together).

Still at T3 are:

Air Canada
    Air China
    ANA
    Egyptair
    Ethiopian
    SAS
    Singapore Airlines
    Thai
    Turkish

Between them all it is around 40 flights a day, including A380s from Singapore and soon to be Thai. Of course there is also the UA ex. CO flights at T4 to move too, although that is a handful or so.

With BMI presumably shifting to IAG, the obvious question will be whether there is anything left to transfer and whether there will be a domestic/Irish zone. Aer Lingus is wanting to join an alliance, again, and it is between *A and Oneworld. That is quite a few flights a day. Of course T5 has domestic flights and needs nothing special, just a path for arrivals that bypasses immigration and customs.

On lounges the curious point will be whether there is one big *A lounge or if some airlines (I am thinking SQ) want something better. Similarly, given the arrivals lounges that exist at T1 and T3 now (shared at T1 and AC for T3) I presume one of those will be established too, but not shared by all (as many don’t see the need for the facility).

BeckyBoop
    Participant

But if T2 will just be Star Alliance what will happen to others that still live in T3 that are not part of an alliance like Virign and Emirates. T4 doesnt look to be expanding?

LeTigre
    Participant

What about a huge Star Alliance lounge with separate rooms that each airline customises in its own way, eg. the Singapore Noodle Room, the Thai Spa, the Turkish Baths, the Swiss Chocolate Room, the Austrian Bakery, the Air China Herbal Treatments Room, Air New Zealand Wine Room, Asiana Electronics Room, etc.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Sounds like a brothel.

RichHI1
    Participant

Hengli you can tell that you are not a management accountant, one lounge and different coloured napkins an coasters is more likely. Except for United which will make you use the napkin as a coaster to save 10ยข.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Binman, BA can’t unilaterally withdraw all guest access without rewriting oneworld rules:

Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge.
    UNQUOTE

VintageKrug
    Participant

Is there a report from BT on their visit?

Hi VintageKrug – yes, it went live earlier this morning at:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/first-look-london-heathrow-terminal-2

VintageKrug
    Participant

Nice report, though a shame they are being so secretive about lounges; surely they must have a plan less than six months before opening?

Let’s hope they sort the plumbing issues out for T2.

JordanD
    Participant

VK (02/03/2012 07:42GMT): sorry you’re off the mark. You say “Nice report, though a shame they are being so secretive about lounges; surely they must have a plan less than six months before opening?” (bolding mine).

BT’s report says: “The project is set to be completed in November 2013, with airlines moving in one at a time over a six-month period starting from late spring 2014. A second satellite structure, Terminal 2C, will occupy the area now occupied by T1 and will add a ten million-passenger capacity by 2019”.

I make that over 18 months between now and opening … so no need for a final plan yet, surely?

I’d be more interested in seeing what the testing regime is, having been part of the T5 testing programme.

ScottWilson
    Participant

Becky, I believe Virgin and Emirates are remaining at T3, given Virgin has invested in its checkin/security/Clubhouse there and Emirates has also invested in its lounge. T4 does have spare capacity though, although the theory that all non-aligned airlines would go there does have some gaps (e.g. El Al and Iran Air wont co-locate). I assume El Al may shift to T2, but who knows (it is at T1 now).

Good report from BT, and good to see that airlines will be drip fed into the new T2, especially as there must be pressure from retailers to do a reasonably sized big bang (after all, there isn’t much trade on the first day if all you are serving is say SAS).

Given T3 is more congested and more of a nightmare than T1 (which I find reasonably civilised at most times), I’d strongly prefer if the T3 airlines shifted over first, joined by UA (with its ex.CO flights from T4) after before the remainder move in.

I do hope that if there is a Star lounge it has some character and is a place that is attractive to users. I’d like a Gold lounge, a separate First Class lounge, and a LH group lounge for the Silver holders of their programme entitled to lounge access, in part because it is highly desirable to separate out short haul users of lounge from long haul.

Of course whilst BMI to IAG makes a bit of a difference, so would Aer Lingus joining Star (which is possible) and Virgin Atlantic.

travelworld
    Participant

i’m guessing but I’d have thought it will be the T1 airlines who move into new T2 first- as thye are going to be pullnig down most of T1 for redevelopment once T2 opens….

VintageKrug
    Participant

Ah, yes my miscalculation about the six months lead time.

It would seem strange if each carrier was to have the same Business lounge, but it would be good to have individual branded First lounges.

Of more interest (though no-one seems to have picked up on it) is what BA could do with the additional space at T5.

A FCT could be possible was this used effectively, although it’s fair to say the existing Royal Suite within T5A (south, ground floor, under the F lounge) could also serve a similar purpose.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I do find myself wondering why this thread was worthy of a bump ten days after the last posting. I wonder what needed to be pushed down today.

LeTigre
    Participant

It was the thread about ‘Zero Avios Availability in October to HKG’. The person in question posted on that thread and diverted attention away from the core issue while also providing a link to an irrelevant BA site.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls