Future Heathrow: T5D, T5E & Yet More T5A

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Article in the FT, celebrating the topping out of the new T2 earlier in the month:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7af0a4d8-58cc-11e1-b9c6-00144feabdc0.html

Of most interest is a very revealing diagram setting out what LHR will look like in 2030 (takes a while to load):

http://im.media.ft.com/content/images/ea079178-598b-11e1-8d36-00144feabdc0.img?width=961&height=726&title=&desc=

In it you can see an extension to T5A, T5 D and T5E after 2020 as well as an extended T2, with two piers.

Quite a lot of work to remove the fuel farms currently where T5D would be situated.

And a worry that the generally poorly organised T5 shuttle would seem to be the solution for transiting the terminals, when a circular route would have been far more efficient.

T4 seems to remain.

I’d imagine the T5A extension is dependent on no new airport in the Thames Estuary, and will no doubt be used by BAA as a threat to stop government getting on with the right solution.

fastphil
    Participant

Star In the East, oneworld In the West.

At last a clear and compelling strategy for Heathrow as the key hub for Europe.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Well we know from ATL (busiest airport in the world) this structure works. Would be good to see LHR adopting it fully (beyond T5 I mean).

BeckyBoop
    Participant

VintageKrug
    Participant

That’s the “central area”; where the motorway spur under the runway pops up allowing passengers to be dropped off.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Oh yeah, thanks. That area is the pits when driving through it, but as there will be only 1 terminal now it be a simple in and out and no more multi lanes, and lower chance of being cut up by limo and taxi drivers.. bliss 🙂

JordanD
    Participant

Does that mean T5B & C will be made full length buildings or are they going to keep their spider arms?!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Those spider arms just look cheap; it’s quite obvious they chopped off part of the structure to save money.

I’ve only been in T5C a few times, but it’s quite narrow and cramped. Though there is a space for a lounge upstairs, should it be needed in future. Until then, the freebies from Starbucks will have to suffice.

RichHI1
    Participant

Interesting. I wonder if the tram will run beyind 5 and connect all Terminals? I hope they rename them or explaining to newcomers that there is no T1 or T3 would be confusing.
    I have Heard Heathrow East so I guess we have West and South and as usual we can ignore the North 🙂

HonestCrew
    Participant

Is the general feeling that there is a chance of a bright future for LHR or are various proposals for the future like flogging a dead horse?

RichHI1
    Participant

Maybe the coallition will veto the plannign permission it in an attempt to win some seats in the next election?

Binman62
    Participant

This is very old news. I saw similar designs for LHR a decade ago. It is no doubt being re run – with enhancements – to try and trump Boris Island.

Bottom line- with just 2 runways no matter what you do to LHR it will simply be refurbishment and will not offer any increased capacity.

RichHI1
    Participant

But just think of the shops they can open. Then they lobby to allow non passengers into secure area and thin of the revenue. The planes are after all incidental at LHR.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Well, to be fair to BAA, a lot of the snow disruption is caused by the current shortage of stands due to the construction of T2.

I don’t think all of this will be built, but it’s good to see BAA investing in facilities.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls