Furious Boris Puts Thames Back on Tube Maps

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Seems the TfL design team got a step ahead of themselves while the boss was away.

Thankfully, he was not happy with the idea and has vetoed it! Good thing, too. I was looking at the map this evening, and without the Thames it is much less easy to get your bearings.

Good Man, Boris!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090917/tuk-furious-boris-puts-thames-back-on-th-45dbed5.html

SimonRowberry
    Participant

VK – for God’s sake will you please put a bloody sock in it as far as British party politics are concerned!!! You know, for a lowly female check-in clerk at EDI (or Michael O’Leary in disguise), your influence in this Forum is becoming inversely proportional to your (once extensive) knowledge and contribution. Stop sucking up to BA, stop posting offensive political comments, stop making snide and uncalled-for (indeed, bluntly nasty) comments at the (cheap) expense of other contributors and, for Heaven’s sake, just grow up. Your Boris comment would’ve been much more credible without the semi-covert political spin.

I think I speak for a very large (and, it seems, increasing) number of contributors to this Forum, who have just about had enough of your pretentious and (increasingly) offensive drivel. Either grow up or shut up, before you wreck this Forum for the rest of us who are trying to be positive and use it for what it was intended for, which is to help others through sharing experience. You were recently described as a tw*t in this Forum. I found that offensive too, but I understand why that was said.You seem to have an opinion on every subject, even when it’s darned obvious you’re utterly clueless on the topic. Then you resort to abuse and invective against the postee when your lack of knowledge or logic is exposed (or even, it seems, just for the hell of it on your behalf). It is unacceptable, VK. Totally unacceptable.

This is not a platform for the Conservative Party, the Labour Party, the LibDems or even Plaid bleedin’ Cymru or the SNP! It’s an ADVICE forum and I’d advise you, again, to grow up.

In recent months you’ve made totally unprovoked snide comments about my age (as you perceive it) and my social class (again, as you perceive it). I am far from alone in having to take this type of abuse. At least some of us have the b*lls to use our real names on this Forum, and then risk abuse from people like you (no, sorry, only you) who hide behind pseudonyms. You haven’t got any b*lls, VK, obviously. Indeed, that may well be why I have suggested you may actually be a he OR a she. Please, start complying with the social rules that underlie (at least implicitly) this Forum.

Tim2soza
    Participant

Simon,

May I politely disagree with you. I value the comments of VintageKrug, and personally think that Boris has got it right on this matter, irrespective of his or my or your political leanings.

starflyer
    Participant

It all depends on how comments are written here. VK’s continuing political commentary has no place here. If I wanted to read this relentless dribble I’d buy the Daily Telegraph or Daily Mail. This is about business travel and yes TfL’s maps are relevant but VK’s implied commentary is not.

viking01
    Participant

Wow, you lot are wound extremely tight, aren’t you?

I’ve no idea what VK has done to get you so riled, but it can’t be this innocuous inocuous in.. harmless thread.

He’s given me some good advice in this forum in the past few month. Live and let live, I think.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

The advantage that you guys have is that you’ve not suffered unwaranted personal comments from VK yourself. A number of us have. That’s the difference.

I agree that VK has made many valuable contributions to this Forum and, indeed, I’ve personally found many of them helpful. However, his/her value would be enhanced if he/she limited him/herself to constructive contributions and left out the politics and offensive personal remarks. Such remarks are very easy to make when you can hide behind a mask of anonymity.

Sara Turner

But, Simon Rowberry, that’s exactly what you’ve just done!

viking01
    Participant

He has a point.

VK questioned your age and class (apparently), and in return, you said he should grow up, stop talking drivel, and didn’t have any b*lls, which is either true, because he’s a woman, but is still pejorative, or is not true, because he’s a man, and is insulting.

Anyway anyway.

Why don’t we all put this behind us and get on?

It’s a good forum – not too plane spotter, and yet with some very clever and knowledgeable people here. Plus there’s the news to read and the flight checks, whcih have nuggets in them sometimes.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Not at all. I’ve merely requested that VK limits comments to areas of relevance and cuts out the politics and the personal abuse. Recently VK has told some postees to ‘get a life’, suggested that they ‘shop at Aldi’ (as a class-based insult), taken one postee’s user name and turned it into something offensive, made comments about people’s social class (when VK percieved it to be lower than his/her), commented about my age and suggested I’m ‘feeling old,’ etc etc.

Do we really need or deserve these kinds of behaviour from someone who is hiding behind a pseudonym and therefore has the benefit of anonymity? Indeed, is that kind of behaviour appropriate at all from a contributor to this Forum, anonymous or not?

I’m asking in my initial post (and not for the first time, I might add) VK to leave this utterly unnecessary personal abuse out and also to stop making party political points. I know that I am not alone in feeling that VK often makes inappropriate posts, usually when people do not agree with him/her (I make the point ‘him/her’ not to be perjorative, but because VK could be either sex). Indeed, there are others who seem to feel even more strongly about this than I do.

When VK stays away from abuse, personal comments and politics, he/she makes a very positive contribution to the Forum.

Senator
    Participant

“Manners maketh man” says the Gordie in his hymn about life of an abused man in NYC. “Takes a man to suffer ignorance, yet smile.”

I believe this forum is strictly for posting relevant travel related news, information, questions without prejudice to age, gender, ethnicity, or political affiliation. I agree with the honourable Simon…

beany1972
    Participant

I may be missing the point – but what did VK included in his message to warrent such an attack?

flyingbunny
    Participant

To get back to the point – I too am glad the Thames is staying on the map. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. The thing that clutters up the tube map most is little notes by some of the stations saying “This line will be undergoing extensive works until further notice” etc. Whenever I have been late or found it difficult to get somewhere it is because of the service rather than the way the map is drawn.

Airpocket
    Participant

I would have to agree with SimonR: when VK is good (i.e. when he comes up with useful information), he’s very good but when he decides to put other posters down, acts as a ‘Goebbles’ (i.e.propaganidst) for BA, VS, and other entities then he really does suck the big one, in a manner of speaking :o)

MarcusUK
    Participant

I am down in Oz n several colleagues were commenting on VK.
    My Australian colleague today…-

” VK obviously takes it up the A.r..e for BA, but certainly seems to get off on his link with them. Tell him to Get a room for them both, n stop being their inane mouthpiece”!

Very Australian!!

I agree that for those of us that take the time to share information of our travels, it makes a great resource n BT facilitate a good up to date news source for us all. It should be a forum to help us all keep ahead the travel industry, without constant references or blurb which are basically advertising for BA!

No one else does it for any one Airline on here, we are all pretty well balanced by comparsion!
    Hope VK does not ever work in Australia, they would not tolerate his constant rhetoric in business circles!

Stated today

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls