Fun Friday topic – Airline iFinances

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

On another topic , about something or another that resulted in us bickering at each other Martyn suggested the revival of our Friday fun thread ……….

So, here we go…….a challenge inspired by a Scotsman article I read recently………

Can you list the top 10 ten profitable routes by operator and sector ……

For example :
    1) LHR-EDI with BA
    2) YYZ- YMLJ with AC
    3) JFK-ORD with AA
    4) AMS – LHR with KL
    5) DXB-DOH with QR

I’ll score how many you got right, but won’t necessarily tell you exactly which answer correct ..
    Through duplication ,repetition and common sense we should quite quickly get the definite list.

ONE RULE FOLKS — NO GOOGLING –it’s supposed to be fun ……… TRUST : )

I’ll post the definitive list on Monday!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Has to be LHR to JFK with BA!

Although a colleague just flew from EDI to LSI with Loganair and since he hasn’t stopped talking about how expensive it was…

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

No googling… or searching on this site, as we reported the full list a few weeks ago 😉

conshaldow
    Participant

I’m not putting them in any particular order as couldn’t begin to try and rank these but will have a stab. I’ll be happy to have gotten one right.

1. LHR-JFK (BA)
    2. DXB-SYD (EK)
    3. PUS-CJU (KE) (A strange one I know but I remember reading about the large number of flights on this route due to popular theme park on the Island).
    4. MAD-GIG (IB)
    5. SYD-IAH (UA)
    6. LHR-ORD (AA)
    7. LHR-LAX (UA)
    8. DXB-NRT (EK)
    9. BRU-ACC (SN)
    10. LHR-HKG (BA)

canucklad
    Participant

So far ……

Tom 1 out of 1 and OK, I’ll let the cat of the bag…….the most profitable route by a long way is at no 1, BA’s JFK- LHR service generates US$ 1, 037, 724, 367 in revenue.

Conshaldow scores 1/10, although I should really give you 1/2 a mark for correct routing, just the wrong airline.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I had always thought the London New York route was the most profitable..

London – LA must also be up there as the entertainment and tech industry will pay anything.

London – HKG on the basis that every time I fly this route, nearly all seats in all classes are booked.

The rest for me would be guess work…

Perhaps

Sydney – Melbourne, based on the sheer number of flights per day

I would imagine there would be a Ryan sector somewhere on the list, after all they claim to be the most profitable airline…

Also a Chinese and Indian sector purely based on the number of people travelling.. must make a route profitable…

London to Paris

and my final submission would be a LAX – SFO

..as to the actual airline flying the route….

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=881375]So far …… Tom 1 out of 1 and OK, I’ll let the cat of the bag…….the most profitable route by a long way is at no 1, BA’s JFK- LHR service generates US$ 1, 037, 724, 367 in revenue. Conshaldow scores 1/10, although I should really give you 1/2 a mark for correct routing, just the wrong airline.[/quote]

I’ll have a go although I’m hopeless,
    2. HKG-TPE, CHINA AIRLINES
    3. TOKYO-OSAKA, JAPAN AIRLINES
    4. HKG-TOKYO, CATHAY PACIFIC
    5. SYD-MEL, QANTAS
    6. SIN-LHR, SINGAPORE AIRLINES
    7. DUBAI-LONDON, EMIRATES
    8. DUBAI-BANGKOK, EMIRATES
    Then I give up.
    What do I win??

canucklad
    Participant

Another meeting over and a review of what we’ve got so far…..

Martyn- You’d think some of yours would make it for the reasons stated…..Only 2 make it and you only get 1/10 as you never guessed the airline involved : )

GivingupBA: 3/8 not bad , including a couple of the less obvious routes !
    What do you win, the immense respect of the rest of us : )

esselle
    Participant

Highest revenue generator or most profitable?

If the former, I might expect to see:

DOH-LHR QR
    DXB-LHR EK
    HKG-LHR CX
    SIN-KUL SQ
    DEL-BOM AI
    SYD-MEL QF
    LHR-JFK BA
    JFK-ORD ?
    JKF/LGA-BOS ?

capetonianm
    Participant

An interesting topic, but as an ex-airline revenue management person, I might be looking at it in too much detail, but I am not sure how you define profitable routes in isolation since the viability of a route can be determined by many factors and not just what it generates as a stand-alone, but rather as a feeder to and from other routes.

However :

I would suggest :
    LON-LOS BA and VS as profitable, being places nobody goes to unless they are forced to.
    LIS – LAD TP ditto
    LIS -SAO TP
    CPT JNB BA (as SAA couldn’t make a profit on anything even if they had sole rights)

I can think of a few others but am being summonsed to go out ………

canucklad
    Participant

Quick update, before I head off for an hour or so……..

Firstly esselle…..it’s revenue , and you’ve scored 5/9 repeating 3 already mentioned
    Capetonianm ….nope, none you mentioned

Interestingly you’ve touched on a point though, with your Boston reference. Although VS competes head on with BA on the JFK route, VS don’t make the list at all.
    Gets me wondering about the mechanics of the agreement BA has with AA?

paulkaz
    Participant

Ill add Syd-Lax QF Syd-Per QF. Rio- Sao Paulo (2 airports at each city) Latam

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I would have said BA LHR-JFK but I see from the above that is correct, but I’ll add a couple more possibilites:
    Swiss: ZRH-JNB (always full despite the astronomical fares),
    SIA: SIN-SYD
    LH: FRA – JFK

canucklad
    Participant

Good reasoning Paulkaz alas no cigar, especially surprising is no Brazilian connection.
    LP — you’ve managed to get 1/3

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=881435]LP — you’ve managed to get 1/3[/quote]

I wonder which one? Guess I’ll have to wait till Monday to find out.
    Enjoy the weekend in the meantime,
    Your fellow forum member waiting with baited breath 😉
    LP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls