Frequent Flyer Cards & Tags, Now Electronic only?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

• AndrewinHK
    Participant

Cwoodward, I only referenced peacocking as most that I notice in and around Central HK are gold or diamond tags dangling from a casual bag, just a bit showy for my taste, akin to a designer brand being emblazoned on one’s chest, but again harmless, and more a question of personal preference than anything that affronts.

cwoodward
    Participant

Executives then – they are good identification and its a faf to take them off and on if you travel a lot. Our youngest has one of mine (I have many) on his carry-on small backpack and I put it there has he travels a lot by air on his own back and forth to school and next year university and could likely well leave it in a lounge or aircraft. Not their intention but useful.

1 user thanked author for this post.

FDOS
    Participant

AndrewinHK

You say “it gives off a very pompous ‘don’t you know who I am’ type vibe” – that is your perspective and is no indicator of why people ACTUALLY attach these bag tags. You are projecting your worldview on to others.

I don’t bother with those tags personally, but live and let live is a principle I’ve found useful – the tags break very quickly, when used for checked in baggage,so the only real use is displaying them on hand luggage, in which case they can be quite useful when ground agents come a looking for hand luggage to check in. As I travel with a checked in suitcase and one small computer bag, I have no need for this game.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

FDOS, I would suggest the very definition of a forum is to voice ones viewpoint and perspective, I am unsure why in this thread and many others, my observations and viewpoints seem to bother you so much. I shall repeat I don’t find the display of tags anything more than amusing in the wrong setting, just something that isn’t necessary anymore. To spin it another way, I would also suggest in many instances not really sensible, displaying ones status on luggage may in less safe cities make such persons vulnerable to crime etc, from a young age I always would remove luggage tags on hand baggage to not stand out as a tourist or foreigner when travelling, as often such persons are targeted.

FDOS
    Participant

AndrewinHK

Your views do not bother me – I wish to present my opinion, which, by your definition, equally I am at liberty to do.

Your posts read to me like the curate’s egg, a mixture of good content, e.g.

displaying ones status on luggage may in less safe cities make such persons vulnerable to crime (an astute observation IMO)

and bias

“it gives off a very pompous ‘don’t you know who I am’ type vibe”

If you are saying that you don’t appreciate certain vibes, then fair enough, however such comments can read as virtue signalling, at the cost of stereotyping behaviour you have no credible way of analysing for motive/drivers.

Speaking as someone certified competent in occupational (psychological) testing, which does give insights into observed behaviours.

stevescoots
    Participant

I have the tags on my 2 cabin luggage items for exactly the reasons stated, so if i leave it in a lounge, or on a big bird its easily Id’d. considering o only have one other bag for the gym i use then you will see me walking round HK “tagged” up, not brag tagged tho. i also have them on my hold luggage as well and they have helped before when the airline tag came off

GBAIR72
    Participant

I don’t care about frequent flier status. I’d rather buy the cheapest business class ticket and spend then savings on upgrading my hotel room which I spend longer in.
    The benefits of frequent flier these days are not worth it when you shop around for a cheaper business class ticket and still get lounge access etc.
    I thinks it crass when people display their frequent flyer tag especially when they are old ones.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Well I hope that I am neither crass nor pompous, but I will continue to use the baggage tags for reasons previously given by others. They are a good identifier – particularly if you are separated from your carry-on bag at the airport – but give nothing away to any passing opportunist (even the name is in very small print).

Fortunately I have not (so far) misplaced a bag but anything which can help me be reunited with it, is surely useful. And the card itself can certainly be helpful at the airport, where it provides the check=in (or pre-check-in) staff with a quick and clear message in terms of how to act.

2 users thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

cards are still usefull i agree, Sunday i went to you the CX F lounge in HKG to find check in at SGN had not added my FF number to my next flight on AY, card out and strait in

cwoodward
    Participant

Particularly the Cathay card as it comes with a stout aluminium holder and a strong length of platted metal securing wire conveniently threaded at both ends. The membership card can be replaced in the holder as needed.
    Cathay have been issuing these for over 11 years now and as we are a family that travels a lot often together they have proved both useful and very durable.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Nothing sturdier, quicker or safer than your phone, the CX card is easily accessible via Apple wallet or the CX app, as are most if not all major carriers these days. Personally, in my day to day life I don’t even carry physical credit cards anymore.

cwoodward
    Participant

Not a risk that I would take as one would need to carry more than one phone on a trip – but each to their own.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

@cwoodward
    Interesting that you mentioned the Cathay Pacific metal baggage tag as I was looking at it only the other day. I noticed that the only information is has on it is my name and the words “Marco Polo Club”. I suppose if my cabin bag were to get lost Cathay Pacific could identify me from just my name, but I was surprised it didn’t have my Club membership number on it. I wonder why?

MarcusGB
    Participant

As i originally stated, for hotel groups like Accor, many hotels or enture Brands (Swissotel, Raffles, Fairmont etc…) are franchised, not always linked directly into the Accor or FFP System. I find in Asia and Oceania they ask for yr physical card. It also gives you discounts for shopping, tourism or services outside the hotel and airport.

With Airline cards, often you need them to get into a premium check in area or before you get a boarding pass, better than taking out all yr booking details, papers or phone, they can just see yr FF Card on yr carry on bag.

I have left my main travel bag on board, which was quickly identified by the Plastic FF Card,so i was notified and a staff member brought it from the aircraft through security and to me in the Transit lounge. Another time i had a luggage tag card on the inside of my phone wallet, so this was identified and brought to me, through areas i could not backtrack myself. The Loyalty card meant a special level of service which was vital.

I use my Platinum or Gold cards (for two different alliances) Only for my main cabin bag with all the valuables and cards, documents etc. A Business Rucksack.

Often, the staff of the Airline, or airport – Security to Immigration shops, or at Busy Hotel check ins, approach me as a result of the card, to offer some special assistance or welcome, or speed me through, with some valued recognition.
    Also at the gate,If airlines go around wanting to reduce cabin baggage and they see your FF tag, they never ask you to put cabin bags in the hold. So it has a visual effect for others involved in yr trip simply. KLM do this often but do not ask Flying Blue members, identified vy the FF Tags.

It simply represents a mutual loyalty, and works in many ways when recognised, that often surprises me, always helpful and useful, and secures me to my bag if left.

I can tuck it in hidden when not needed.
    So they are just Worldwide V useful, handy, subtle, and an easy mutually identifiable membership, not reliant on a battery, noticed by those who need when travelling.

Beaton
    Participant

Two weeks ago I was asked for my Frequent Flyer Card. I was travelling from JFK to LHR on AA in F travelling on to Basel CH on BA July 26th. When I went to check in at the Concore Room at LHR, with my JFK to LHR F boarding pass and LHR to BSL BA J boarding pass, the receptionist asked for my AA Emerald Card. When I mentioned that AA no longer gives out cards, I did show her my Executive Platinum (Emerald) bag tag and that seemed to do the trick. I was quite confused since my JFK to LHR F Boarding pass should have been sufficient since I was travelling onward the same day on BA.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls