Frankfurt hbf – March 2016

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

• Anonymous

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I felt extremely uncomfortable, for the first time in a long time being at Frankfurt hbf yesterday. I lost count of the number of people coming up to me and asking for money. At the automated ticket machines there were lots of people hanging around, hassling people for money.

I am used to hands coming out and will often buy food for people in need, but the sheer numbers would have made this a very expensive exercise.

Noticeable as well, was the total lack police/security staff.

Now in Munich and about the go the hbf…(with caution)…

SimonS1
    Participant

Sorry to hear that Martyn.

I suspect the combination of the grand European ideal of freedom of movement and the number of migrants pitching up each day will only make the problem worse and we will see even more of these situations and the Cologne issues around the new year.

In fact Sunday’s regional election results mean the clock is ticking loudly for Mrs Merkel and her chums to take some action.

thecartoonman
    Participant

I met with a German friend in January who said his country had changed completely. With stores now having security on the doors and in some areas, groups of ‘migrants’ just going into supermarkets gathering up large quantities of food and just walking out and nothing was done to stop them by the police etc.

For a country that prides itself on order, respect and honesty this is a ‘sea change’ for them and it will all end in tears, I visited Munich in May 2015 and it was a delightful city, interesting to see if the ‘English Garden’ is still the lovely place it was then?

He could not believe the contrast in early 2016 between Germany and the UK and was not looking forward to returning home, reckoning his government had absolutely no idea the sense of bad feeling that was growing amongst the German people.

He blamed his country’s obsession with the past for the current situation and could see nothing beneficial to his country by the sheer volume of migrants that had arrived in such a short space of time with values not in tune with normal German society.

MS, please report back from Munich HBF.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I found an easier option at the suggestion of the hotel. Took an S bahn from outside my hotel direct to the airport and missed walking through the hbf.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Frankfurt HbF is also in a pretty sleazy area, with Kaiserstrasse, Elbestrasse, Moselstrasse in the local and various dodgy operations by dodgy operators attracting lots of grifters.

I’m pleased that you were able to find a decent route to the airport, Martyn.

Charles-P
    Participant

Martyn

Regretfully I have heard similar for both Germany and Austria. The entire dynamic of the countries has changed as a result of the recent migration of what may be as many as two million people over the past few months.
    Even here in Belgium we have seen the result despite the fact the country has taken far fewer migrants. In the diamond district of Antwerp which has a large Orthodox Jewish population the synagogues have had to hire private security to protect buildings and worshipers. Brussels central railway station is overrun with people from Syria and Iraq who are openly accosting women and picking pockets of travelers. The police are doing their best but they only have so many people. The Prime Minister here has announced plans for an additional 5,000 Federal police to be recruited which is a big increase on the present 12,000.

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

I’m glad I’m not the only one. I was in Berlin recently, a city that I absolutely adore. Something’s changed; people are no longer as welcoming and seem almost defensive when approached by a foreigner.

JohnHarper
    Participant

I agree about Berlin, something really has changed here.

For quite some time Mrs JH and I have been thinking of buying a house here but at the moment we are wondering if we want to.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Mrs. LP off to Munich tomorrow with our operations manager. I’m quite nervous about two women going alone. They fly in from MXP to MUC.

Any updates on the current situation there. I guess the best way to travel from the airport is by taxi, though Mrs. LP keeps saying the bus or train will be fine!

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

Servus LP!

There’s absolutely nothing to worry about when it comes to Munich. Yesterday we had the football match against Italy and the police presence was higher than usual. It felt rather odd.

The HBF is pretty much was it was 2yrs ago. Meaning, no crazy scenes happening.

Yes the train from MUC (S8 is faster) is reliable but there have been some disruptions due to some maintaince work going on. That means some delays now and then. Apart from that there shouldn’t be a problem. But i’d advise you check online on the Deutsche Bahn/ SBahn München website for the latest info about delays.

And tomorrow we’ll have around 23° all sunny!! So tell Mrs. LP to pack accordingly and i wish her safe travels.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks LetsFlyNow. I’ll pass the info on. Here is cold, raining about 6c and I have to get up at 5am to run them to the airport!

Mrs. LP asks if the Hofbrauhaus is still the place for a good beer? I’m getting more worried now!

BEYbrit
    Participant

Imagine how it could be that begging at a foreign railway station and living on the street is better than staying in your own home, your own country. Imagine then that you were a doctor in your home country, a business owner, an engineer, a teacher, an architect…..and now you are begging from the people who used to be your peers.

Unfortunately, as disagreeable as we may find people begging and as awful as this may make train stations etc in Europe, my view is that accepting (not just accepting, but welcoming and looking after) refugees is an ethical and moral obligation for those in richer countries.

Sure, the standards may drop at the Hbf, but we can all accept a little a little drop in our (fairly luxurious) standards if that means helping those who have nothing. No?

MrMichael
    Participant

BEYbrit, agreed with one important provision, and that is that those coming accept and value the culture they are joining. In my view you cannot be a refugee and then try to change the cultural makeup of the country you have sought refuge in.

BEYbrit
    Participant

MrMichael – agreed and vice versa (within legal and respectful limits).

My deep philosophical thought is this :

It takes all kinds of fruit to make a salad. Mangoes aren’t to everyone’s taste – but we accept them – and then we just keep on eating the strawberries that we love.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls