Frankfurt hbf – March 2016

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• cosmoB2012
    Participant

thecartoonman – you seem to have strange “friends”. Not a single case of foreigners leaving supermarkets with merchandise and not paying has been reported in Germany. All supermarkets have declared that this is a myth.It is propaganda from some right wing groups and the dumb and dumber do believe it. In Germany basically nothing has changed with the refugees. Frankfurt Airport has always been a sleazy place with heaps of beggars, drug dealers, homeless and other less fortunate persons.

cosmoB2012
    Participant

@TheRealBabushka – Where in Berlin have you been to ?? I live in the city for 16 years, do travel about 120 days a year worldwide and have not realized any change at all. None of my foreign friends would agree with your statement, as I entertain guests from around the world on a frequent basis and none has had any negative comment. We have received more than 80.000 refugees in Berlin in 2015 but they are not really present anywhere yet. I do teach German twice a week as a volunteer at a refugee camp and have met heaps of Iraqis, Syrians and Eritreans of which the great majority fled a war or dictatorship and is more than thankful that they found a new home. That a supposedly cosmopolitan and open-minded travel platform is awash with xenophobic and cold-hearted egoists is shocking to read.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

BEYBrit – there is a difference to welcoming genuinely persecuted people (irrespective of whether they are professionally qualified or labourers) and economic migrants seeking a better life.

I agree with Mr Michael with the added added proviso that Governments should know exactly who they are letting in.

A Government should have created the infrastructure to accommodate the refugees they have welcomed.I still do not think it is acceptable for the authorities to allow migrants to roam the hbf begging and hassling passengers. Help should be given in other ways…

BEYbrit
    Participant

@martynsinclair for sure the government should be better prepared if they are going to accept refugees, and this would be better for the refugees and the population of the country concerned – with this i can’t but agree.

As for refugee or economic migrant – well Britain (and much of Europe) has a history of helping one and needing the other.

It’s a safe bet that, in the western world, the cleaning of the business class seat you sit in, the preparation of the food on board and the cleaning of the airport lounge you drank your champagne in were all jobs most probably done by a migrant worker. And that’s just the stereotype – we also have economic migrants flying the planes, running air traffic control and managing the airlines (surely BA is run by someone who came to the UK for a better job?).

So we can’t say we don;t want these people – we need them. But we need a better way to police their arrival – and to make sure they arrive legally and in an organised way.

thecartoonman
    Participant

cosmoB2012 – 31/03/2016 21:45 BST

My good friend is perfectly normal thank you, displays absolutely no far right leanings and seems on the face of it, far from dumb, though we have never been partners in a pub quiz.

On the basis, the German media went to some lengths not to report the events surrounding the new year celebrations, I am not sure how much we can rely on them for accurate reporting of this ‘sensitive’ issue.

Only time will tell whether my friends take on the current state of his country, or your rather different version, is the correct one, perhaps it is somewhere in the middle.

In any event, this is a travel forum and as we have moved away from HBF, I shall leave it there.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

LP
    Hofbrauhaus is still good, but my personal favourite, especially for pork knuckle, is Haxnbauer http://www.kuffler.de/en/haxnbauer.php#_=_
    It is about 150 metres from Hofbrauhaus.

I shall be in Frankfurt next week and will be interested to see how it has changed in the last year.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Faro. Mrs. LP is now on her way back but I’ll let her know for next time.

She did visit the Hofbrauhaus and said it’s still excellent.

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

@LP

Sorry that i couldn’t reply earlier. Been extremely busy.

I hope Mrs. LP had a good time here in Munich and all went well.

HofbrÀuhaus is nice with a very international flair but for the next time you or the Mrs/both are here, i’d suggest the Augustiner Keller which is also very central or the Biergarten at the chinese tower in the English garden.

My fav watering hole though is the Hirschgarten. A brilliant expanse, family friendly and you drink your booze while watching deers in the ‘nature reserve’ next to it. I like doing my paper work there on Sunday afternoons in summer.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls