For real? Outrage after woman posts photos from cockpit

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

A factor that has not been discussed in this thread is the wishes of the pilots themselves – this is the main inhibitor to a total sterile cockpit. Pilots would not accept working in an environment where for 6-8-10-12 hours they can not leave that tiny enclosure.

Different airlines have different security requirements which are laid down by their own regulatory bodies and overseen by IATA.

Because El Al employ their own in house security staff around the world and give every passenger the total third degree does that mean that every other airline should do the same?

Is flying with El Al likely to be safer than other airlines? Maybe.

Is El Al likely to be more a terrorist target than other airlines? Definitely!

It’s the same for the US carriers – they are obviously an enhanced target for terrorists due to U.S geopolitics and thus their security needs to be tighter.

@ therealbabushka – as hard as it would be for any pilot to see bodies piling up in the galleys I think they would have an understanding that the ONLY reason someone would be so demanding to access the flight deck would be to take control of the aircraft. It would be an unfortunate trade off between five bodies in a galley and hundreds/thousands into the side of a building.

ExecPlatAA
    Participant

+1 rferguson (as always, a well thought, insightful update from rferguson – if you had a blog site, I would be a perpetual subscriber).

jjlasne
    Participant

Well, she is quite cute so she can come in my cockpit anytime… Wink, wink.

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

rferguson,
    I quite agree. Let’s hope tech crews have the mental and emotional fortitude to soldier on, for all our sakes.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

RF – AA pilots tend to come out of their tiny work enclosure and use the platform of the forward galley to strut their stuff.. The “trolley block” always reminds me of the Airplane movies……… its comedy!

The bigger fear for me is the TSA and equivalent European and Worldwide Goons that man the airport security check points. Only last week in T5, I was told by someone undertaking a secondary security search of my hand luggage that the person covering the x-ray machine, was clueless….. his words, not mine…..

If the security in the airport was tight enough, there would not be an issue in the air… and whether the flight deck was open or closed would be immaterial.

The American attitude of “strap the passengers down” when the flight deck door is open achieves nothing. If they were that serious they would follow El Al and have an airlock between the flight deck and passenger cabin, i.e. sterile area, between the flight deck on the cabin.

Reality is, they would prefer the dance rather than securing the flight deck as the El Al way does involve losing a row or 2 of seats…..

With regards to flight deck visits……… I still see no problem, in a controlled environment………….. and most pilots wouldn’t have a problem, IF they had a secure flight deck… not just a million dollar door!

Flightlevel
    Participant

I had the opportunity to sit in the cockpit jump seat into the old HKG (Kai Tak) in a Tristar. and it was a memorable experience. The flight crew were in a sterile environment during the landing procedure then as now since I was reluctant to say anything in awe of their actions and flying, I was really surprised by the landing, it was handled like I would a light aircraft though of course its a ‘heavy’! On that flight the lady was staff and allowed there & I doubt the photos were taken on approach so it remained a sterile environment when it had to be.

handbag
    Participant

Rferguson

as hard as it would be for any pilot to see bodies piling up in the galleys I think they would have an understanding that the ONLY reason someone would be so demanding to access the flight deck would be to take control of the aircraft. It would be an unfortunate trade off between five bodies in a galley and hundreds/thousands into the side of a building.

I totally agree.

I am sure most passengers are not aware, that as part of our training, this is the procedure we would have to expect to be followed.

From a personal point of view, even though I am Cabin Crew, I think that this is an enhancement to our safety. I am sure anyone who could be thinking of hijacking a plane, would be more than well aware of the stringent procedure that BA has on the actions to be take in this situation. They will not be let on the Flight Deck regardless of their actions.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ handbag – 13/03/2015 14:03 GMT

Thanks for a very clear explanation of what would happen should such a set of circumstances arise.

jsn55
    Participant

I have no concern about the propriety, security, whatever of hosting someone on the flight deck … but it’s dumb, just dumb. And if you’re hosting someone who is so stupid that she posts the photos …

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls