Food ‘hoovering’ in lounge

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

I’ll add to the madness of food waste ….
    Many a moon ago, working for a well known retailer, on the back of a customer focus group feedback, telling us that our Fresh fruit & Veg wasn’t as fresh as our competitors our head office served up this diktat ……
    You will now notice a number in brackets after the best before date; all food must be removed from sale and disposed off prior to that date using the bracketed number.

For example … Best before 15/3 ( 3) …… Remove and dispose on the 12th.

I found this morally repugnant, primarily due to the fact, that best before and eat by dates already air on the side of safety, by quite some time.

MrDarwin
    Participant

I’m not in the regular habit of taking anything from lounges or hotels as such, I usually have enough hand luggage to deal with. However about a year ago I stayed at a hotel in Amsterdam that had a single charge of 27 EUR for breakfast irrespective of what one ate. I’m all for a full fry as a treat – but Monday to Friday when at home I hardly get up every morning and make eggs benny with sausages, bacon, spinach and hash browns on the side etc. because I’d need to get the front door widened. So when travelling, I simply want to have my usual cereal, banana and coffee. 27 EUR for such a simple breakfast is ridiculous. If I’d wanted to take some muffins or fruit with me, I certainly wouldn’t have felt guilty doing so.

Hermes1964
    Participant

An unusual case of airborne ‘hoovering’.

Many moons ago on a flight to HK, and in the days when roasts were carved from the trolley, I noticed the lady across the aisle lift a couple of dripping slices of beef from her plate and neatly drop them into her handbag.

Now I know that ladies handbags are mysterious places, their contents not to be questioned by mere menfolk, but……

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve often seen, in the more touristy resorts, a notice saying breakfast items may only be consumed in the restaurant and if you wish a lunch pack can be made up for a nominal charge.

In the lounge I’m guilty as charged when it comes to taking those hand wipes and the odd chocolate or ten!!!

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Dutchyankee, I also miss the packets of Crawfords fruit and ginger biscuits. I used to take 3 or 4 packets, but not more.

If I shall be staying in a hotel without a lounge I carry several miniatures of Gordons gin, which I top up before I leave home. Recently a lady at the bag scan in Faro smiled at the gins and said “Medication?”. I nick tonics in the airport lounge as it is generally difficult to otherwise source suitable size tonics so, if you have seen me, I am guilty as charged.

esselle
    Participant

My mother had a large silver bowl in the 60’s, on one of sideboards in the dining room, full of match boxes. Savoy, Claridge’s. Ritz, Quaglino’s, Dorchester, Café Royal, Connaught…………….

Funny thing was neither she nor my father ever smoked.

openfly
    Participant

I wonder if all the squeaky-clean non-nickers remove the newspapers and magazines ( well not magazines at T5 coz they are rubbish) . Bet they never think of that as being bad!! But come 1900 when there are only copies of the Daily Mirror left……
    Yes, I do take a Mail or a Times, I,admit it.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ openfly – 05/03/2015 19:51 GMT

Are you trying to tell me that the FT I take with me is a samizdat copy….! And there I was thinking that I was chancing it with the two apple crumble biscuits wrapped in a paper napkin.

This is all nickels and dime stuff relatively speaking. The prize for chutzpah and sheer effrontery must go to this guy:

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-07-02/this-scam-reveals-why-first-class-tickets-dont-come-with-lounge-access

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Lufthansa-lounge-food-freeloader-fined-by-Munich-court

http://flightclub.jalopnik.com/lufthansa-charges-traveler-who-abused-lounge-acess-for-1599578387

j1ceasar
    Participant

maybe he did not like the meal served on the plane ?

j1ceasar
    Participant

FYI — I usually get down earlier than my wife and bring her up a breakfast . makes my life easier.

FYI will the west coast hotels ( USA ) realize I have been up 3 hours already and can’t wait till their 8 am openings as its 11 am for me.

j1ceasar
    Participant

Exactly = why can’t they have a coffee cart with rolls / bagels for a reasonable sum. ?
    A) because they are greedy and need to add $$$ to their daily take .

I try to walk away to eat at local coffee shops.

openfly
    Participant

AnthonyDunn,

Errr…I don’t know what a “samizdat copy” is!! Hehe.

Only two apple crumble biscuits….wimp! Go for the full six. It’s a bit posh using a paper napkin :-)))

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Samizdat is “illicit”… It dates back to the Iron Curtain and literature that had to be smuggled in/out.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Confession time: i frequently remove newspapers/magazines that are unlikely to be on the flight – other than that only a couple of apples/oranges for my wife’s use .. I’m amazed at comments here as most are in a position to enjoy business class service!

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls