Food ‘hoovering’ in lounge

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

• dutchyankee
    Participant

Hi Martyn,

As a Hotelier, I do not agree with your comment that `Hotels are also guilty of throwing unused food away…` especially when compared to what inthesandpit was describing. Those greedy guests were simply being, for lack of a better term, pigs. Hotels in most countries with strict hygiene laws must throw the unused food away (as I must in my few properties) In the countries where I operate (Netherlands and Belgium) we can not donate food, even if perfectly fine due to hygiene and food safety regulations. It is a difficult task to ensure breakfast buffets have enough food and variety for the guests that have paid for breakfast, without putting too much out that might go to waste. Couple that with the abusers who take everything with them, and it becomes even more of a challenge.

In one of the hotels I used to visit often in Cannes, I was told that they would change their buffet offering depending on the clientele they had in-house. As an example, If they had a large Russian or Israeli group in, they would remove all the individually packed items such as Yoghurts, jams, butter, etc, and only put out large pots as they found the individually packed items would be taken out for later consumption almost ten per person. Bread was also a major problem. Of course this upset their regular guests like myself, as the large self serve pots look dreadful, especially later in the morning, but they said the loss they took was too high. Personally, I believe they could have controlled this better rather than change the quality, but they had their perspective.

Believe me, if anyone can come up with the perfect formula for a Buffet Breakfast that would have zero wastage, every Hotel Chain in the world would be knocking on that persons door for the answer. Waste is Cost, and none of us in the industry like that.

Charles-P
    Participant

‘dutchyankee’ – perhaps the answer is a move away from buffet style breakfast and a return to a proper waitress/waiter service. I appreciate there are labour costs associated with this but it would certainly cure the ‘hoovering’ problem.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Hi Charles-P,

100% with you on that, and in my small properties we do something similar being Hot items are a-la-carte, and we offer a smaller buffet of cold items, breads, cereals etc., and I have the `luxury` of most of my team being multi-tasked, so it keeps the labor costs lower. For big chain hotels this becomes a much bigger issue, and most business guests don’t want to wait. I think the `hoovering` problem can likewise be solved with better control by the host/hostess observing and questioning. While it might embarrass a few guests, they probably wont do it again.

By the way, I love the new SN lounge The Loft, a huge improvement. And also in this case, if the Buffet could be better observed perhaps that guy would not have gotten away with his tupperwear box exercise. He would certainly have gotten a look from me, and maybe even a comment (depending on his size).

Charles-P
    Participant

I have never understood these people who are so important or busy they do not have the time to sit down for a reasonable 30 minute breakfast. They remind me of individuals who have to start making phone calls 10 seconds after the aircraft lands – are they running Berkshire Hathaway or a small country somewhere ? I manage to run a multi-national company and travel extensively while doing it and yet with only the most modest planning manage to have at least a half hour for breakfast and I welcome the morning interaction with hotel staff. A brief conversation, a comment on the weather etc.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Charles-P, a huge +1

inthesandpit
    Participant

Dutchyankee – fully agree.
    It would be good to see staff policing the bringing in of large Mary Poppins style bags to breakfast in the morning, or even a pre printed card on the tables discouraging hoovering or threatening to make a small charge for ‘takeaway’.
    Its a difficult problem to sove, especially out here in the Sandpit as staff are frightened of challenging guests.
    On a different heading – the memsahib and i spent a glorious festive season in a small boutique hotel in Windermere – no sign of a buffet for 4 days and the best breakfast ever.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@dutchyankee – I would far favour people/guests hoovering food that would otherwise be thrown.

I understand why you can not donate food / give it away.. but any food thrown away, is to me a “crime”…….

canucklad
    Participant

Morning Charles-P
    “I have never understood these people who are so important or busy they do not have the time to sit down for a reasonable 30 minute breakfast”

I think you’re forgetting that there are two types of people in the world.
    Some would call them lazy buggers; others, particularly themselves would define them as “not morning people”
    Those poor folk who have strange wake up rituals, that include hitting the snooze button numerous times, as well as trying to fool themselves into having more time by setting their clock 10 minutes ahead of themselves. Some even shower before retiring to bed, thus saving themselves 10 minutes more of bed time in the morning…. Manks : ) .

My routine on the other hand is more regimented, alarm goes off just before the morning news and sports bulletin, after making sure we’ve not blown the planet to kingdom come during the night, it’s then time for the” 3- S’s” .

As for breakfast, I much prefer a buffet, as it allows me to regulate the portions. I’m not a big eater in the morning, and am always amazed at how people can eat so much, so shortly after waking up!
    Plus, only I can make a perfect bacon butty to my exacting standards : )

And I will confess to leaving with a muffin and or an apple for later. But then again I’ve already paid for it. The amount of times I’ve skipped breakfast would financially amount to couple of trips back home!!

As for the airport lounges, I’ll admit to taking 2 small cams of sparkling water, one to drink whilst the plane taxi’s, and the other to add to my wine on the short hop up to EDI or vice versa.

When BD’s management went mad, and so confused the in-flight offering I’d also snaffle a couple of packs of crackers and cheese to go along with my purchased wine.

dutchyankee
    Participant

I don’t disagree Martyn, but what to do with it then. We will put what we can in our team member dining area, but most has to be thrown away unfortunately. There is a hospice I have tried to send breakfast items to on a daily basis but simply am not allowed to do so. It is a sad reality.

Charles-P
    Participant

I strongly agree that the needless disposal of food is a disgrace. One of my children had a summer job at a Marks & Spencer in the UK and reported how they were told to add an uneatable chemical to food when it was thrown out at the end of the day to prevent ‘skip surfing’ and their previous policy of donations to the Salvation Army had to be stopped on legal advice. Bloody madness !

dutchyankee
    Participant

Hi Charles-P,

As we both have homes in Belgium, not sure if you have run upon this great Sushi chain (in Netherlands as well) that allows patrons all they can eat from a menu for 2:30 hours (longer for dinner) for a fixed price. However, should they order too much and not able to finish, they charge the patron 4 euros per item not eaten. Stops over ordering I am sure and cuts wastage.

Charles-P
    Participant

dutch yankee – not heard of that one, what’s the name ?

dutchyankee
    Participant

Back to the Lounge issue, is this not why BA stopped having the packed cookies and biscuits in the lounge and switched to items in big jars unwrapped?

dutchyankee
    Participant

Kaiseki in Belgium and Sumo in Netherlands! Sushi is always fresh, and great hot items such as gyosa, tempura, etc. Nothing chi chi, just great value and fresh!

Charles-P
    Participant

dutchyankee – I’m at home in Belgium this weekend so will take a look. Shall I mention your name at the door 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls