Flying Blue Redemption Changes 1st June 2013

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Anonymous

MarcusUK
    Participant

As mentioned on another thread, AF/KLM Flying Blue introduced changes to Intercontinental redemptions from 1st June, with a 20% increase in miles needed.

They counter this by claiming that Airline charges will be less?

Looking yesterday, I found only Le Premiere on the Flight promotions area, at over 200,000 miles each way to various Asia gateways!
    Lets hope this is a start up glitch!
    Offers to featured cities could be Business at 40,000 miles one way, under the previous system…

I suggest all FB members look at the changes from within their accounts and see what they find on offer.

If it does not match up to what has been promised, then feedback or complaints would be certainly heard from KLM, not so sure about the french run FB program.

What do other BT Forum / FB members find?

http://www.flyingblue.com/long-haul-award.html

HarryMonk
    Participant

Let’s hope KLM’s fellow Skyteam member Delta follows suit and also reduces or, in the interest of equalityto their European based Skymile members, eliminate their extortionate “International Surcharge” which Delta only charge on Skymile redemption itineraries which originate in Europe.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Strange how less often KLM / AF show Delta flights when you look for redemption offers also?

flydrive
    Participant

Personally I think the changes are passenger unfriendly, but it is still early days and in checking availability I have seen odd figures which don’t correspond to either the new or old, classic or flex figures. One hopes they sort this out, but from what I can tell, the changes do not bode well.

First, the redemption amounts for PE, Bus and First have all gone up significantly, especially PE and First. First has gone stratospheric.

Second, the corresponding decrease in their surcharges are neglible, as in business they are still EUR 180 each way, PLUS all of the real taxes and charges. This will still amount to more than EUR 500 return in charges. So passengers are still paying for their “free” tickets.

Third, availability is still patchy. It is practically non-existent with first tier ST partners (Delta), and variable on KL and AF themselves. I’m finding most availability with second (or third) tier ST members.

Fourth, while the’ve increased the upgrade possible fares, the amounts of miles can be huge for even a moderately discounted fare. Eco to PE is especially a bad deal. Deep discounted fares are still not eligible. The one bright spot seems to me to be the PE to bus upgrade amounts are more in line with BA and could be a good deal.

I don’t think the increases are in line with competitors, but I don’t think passengers would be so upset if they just had decent availability. But come on, little availability for KL flights in early 2014 (non-holiday period) is not an improvement.

The only “good” news is that you can still use the old amounts on bookings before year end if you call FB – but we all know how nice the French call centre can be. Good luck with that one.

I’ve been an elite member for well over a decade on FB (or Flying Dutchman back in the day), but have slowly been favouring other alliances, and for me this does nothing to bring me back into the fold, alas.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Have to agree.
    You would think the launch would have been sorted out and a good immediate show of what has changed be visible, and many options.
    Instead it is a dribble of some destinations and fares, and all were AF Le Premiere when i first checked 1st June under “Promotions” (for flights).

Today it remains the same.

But that will not change or be registered unless members complain and voice their observations will it?

MarcusUK
    Participant

Currently under the flight promotions are just Le Premiere offers on AF, which have been emailed a few days ago to members.They list Asia from 130,000 miles one way.

I have just tried Mile bookings, and from AMS to KUL for eg, the total charges on KLM are MORE than before, at over € 240! The system before was around €150.
    A flight from LHR would cost you over €480!
    This is a huge increase, and NO reduction at all in the fees or charges.

Not the 50% discount on KLM to Asia for a one way Business seat, that were on offer before! These were 40,000 miles approx € 140 total charges.

However, you can book under the old system until the end of the year, but by calling FB Centre in Paris.
    Does not seem to include any discounted promotions.
    An Asia one way Business was 80,000 as a classic award redemption,

Again, badly launched from FB, but run by Air France, so always a let down!

tejostr
    Participant

In general it’s not really easy to get a good deal whilst booking a flight on points, unfortunately. Sometimes promo-awards can be of help however. But the current (June) promo-awards for all outside Europe flights are only 1-rst class and only on AF flights. There is not a lot of loyal KLM / AF customers that can spend 260.000 points on a promo-ticket to Beijing, I think. In this time of the year this is a rather customer unfriendly approach as plenty of loyal KLM / AF customers are trying to book a summer holiday and trying to make the most out of their points. I have strongly objected both on the KLM facebook page and subesequent 1 to 1 E-mails and phone calls. The endresult was as expected. Plenty of not-to-the-point responses of so called ‘service agents’ that don’t have a clue what service is all about. Loyalty with KLM is just one-way-traffic unfortunately.

Biztraveller74
    Participant

A trend seems to be profiled here. Emirates increase of fuel surcharge, 4 months after introducing them
    BA increase reward saver in europe
    FBlue now
    Flying Club increased miles as well…
    Agreement taking place?

janrotterdam
    Participant

FBlue has never been generous with their program. It continous to be difficult to get reward flight from and to Amsterdam on a direct flight. And since the latest change in the program the required number of miles has increased significantly, whereas the surcharges have not dropped as far I can see.(despite this being promised).
    Just tried to book a free business class return flight from Amsterdam to Singapore. It will cost 480.000 miles plus 458 Euro charges!!! Star Allinace offers the same trip on the same dates for 135.000 miles and 359 Euro. Guess what I booked!!
    Although being a FBlue Platinum for Life I have booked most of my recent flights (last 2 years, close a 100 sectors) with Star Alliance and Emirates. And although Amsterdam Airport is closest to my home, I have learned to appreciate the advantages of Brussels and Dusseldorf airports. And I am a happy user of the twice daily flights from Rotterdam to Munich!!.

tejostr
    Participant

Most annoying is just the arrogant attitude. They pretend that they are all devoted to customer satisfaction but real life is just totally opposite. They are just doing their 9-5 job and they just don’t give a shXX.
    Is there any Taksim square to join forces here?

Vertrek
    Participant

Tejostr,

I have to disagree with you regarding the customer service as they (AF/KLM) never disappoint me. From twitter to telephone service, they always deliver! And if something goes wrong, KLM has always at least call and apologize.

JanRotterdam,

Hmm…. I just booked CGK-HKG in “J” with 25k and €14 with CI.
    I looked up AMS-SIN in “J” one way is 80k €200 to €350.
    And I am a silver FB.

Pierre
    Participant

I am a very frequent flyer on AF/LH/SK/Virgin and am surprised with negative comments on Flying Blue.
    The service provided by FBlue is as good as LH one, much better than SK. I never had an issue which remained unsolved.
    I do not know if I am lucky but always managed to get my rewards tickets as per my plans/wishes.
    It is also advised to book reward tickets far ahead.
    For instance, december holidays were booked last may, and april 2014 will be booked coming week.
    Redemption changes ? Not specific to FB!! The others will do the same.The amount of redemption miles presents huge amounts of money for airlines, with a true financial risk!

Vertrek
    Participant

Hi Pierre,

I agree with you. Flying Blue, in term of redemptions availability is actually one of the best in the world, and the website ability to handle redemptions on other SkyTeam partner flights, just makes my life much easier. Although a minimum of 100% accrual on all KLM and AF flight would be nice! =)

Biztraveller74
    Participant

PierreAntoine,
    Actually availability on FB is good, but surcharges are very exaggerate.
    I stand to my point that FB is a reap off, some others are worst, I tend to agree however.
    I used to be FB platinum, then decided to move to Fly BA rather than air France( seats on Biz on AF are poor) and now I am loyal to SQ ( accrue points on Aeroplan FFP) and EK, occassionally QR.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls