Flybe pilot’s artificial arm detaches and he loses control of aircraft

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

• Anonymous

KarlMarx
    Participant

Bullfrog
    Participant

I just read this story & am shocked.

It is one thing being an equal opportunity employer. This unfortunate incident reflects poorly on the concern for passenger safety, from both the CAA’s perspective and Flybe.

TominScotland
    Participant

Scary incident….

As a side issue, I love the lazy journalism here, showing an old picture of a BA Dash-8….. errr, why?

MrMichael
    Participant

Not really that bothered. I fly Flybe most weeks, indeed I am later today from SOU to Manchester. Perfectly possible the same one armed pilot will be the skipper on that flight and I have every confidence that the flight will be perfectly safe.

I think like any airline accident or incident, the airline business and regulators learn from it and put things in place to mitigate the issue, Flybe and the pilot seem to have done just that. It would seem the AAIB are happy with that, so I am too.

Edit, I must confess, it does seem rather a 1st April type story. Oh and TominScotland, you answered your own question.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

My only ‘concern’ is that control was not automatically passed to the f/o.

Bullfrog
    Participant

I’m flying FlyBe tomorrow. It does not scare me, but it makes me question the depth of thought & care provided by the CAA & the airlines. It’s a bit late ‘after an event’.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I don’t know the answer and certainly don’t the pilot’s history, but I wonder whether it was his right or left arm. I would imagine that a prosthesis would be more difficult to use with the throttles, needing far more sensitivity…than the yoke…..

canucklad
    Participant

I was a bit dumbfounded, but I’m pragmatic about it all….. I’m presuming he still has to pass all his checks to the same standard as someone with 2 arms.

And if you apply logic, missing vision aids would probably concern me more. My mate now needs to wear glasses to read charts, but his vanity has been massaged due to the introduction of the use of tablets ! : )

SimonS1
    Participant

It was his left arm Martyn.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I have to admit to having a good chuckle over this. I wonder if he’ll now be nicknamed “Captain Hook” ;-). In today’s PC climate probably not.

NTarrant
    Participant

But he was fairly h armless really

openfly
    Participant

The thing that leaves me speechless is the fact that the UK CAA permitted this person to have a full Airline Transport Pilots Licence with this disability.

On the ground a pilot needs two fully-functioning arms and hands to control the aircraft, one for the tiller and the other for the thrust levers.

In the air, while manually handling the aircraft, particularly during cross-wind landings and take-offs, and especially on a turbo-prop, total dexterity is required with hands and arms controlling the thrust levers and control column, and feet controlling the rudder bar and toe braking, for the landing.

This pilot must have coped amazingly to demonstrate to the CAA his ability to fully, and safely, control the aircraft under all situations. Although in this instance things seem to have gone astray somewhat.

I hope that the CAA will be reviewing the situation.

superchris
    Participant

I also nearly choked on my eggs benedict this morning over this. Im all for equal opportunities but this is just utterly bonkers. Surely you have to be in the peak of physical fitness to be a commercial pilot?

It was clearly silly season yesterday as there was an article on BBC about blind people in the US with gun licences which got a similar reaction from me!

nmh1204
    Participant

openfly, provided a person can operate the aircraft safely, disability is irrelevant. Would you say the same about someone who’s deaf, or has one leg?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls