First Dreamliner at LHR

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

• Anonymous

LeTigre
    Participant

Dear All,

With the advent of the most over-hyped aircraft delivery in the world, a plane so revolutionary that it has tinted windows (WOW), and LED lights (pinch me), I cannot seem to contain my excitement as I ask: WHEN?

Any ideas on when I can first on the marvellous metal itself, from LHR of course, other than the BA first deliveries in 2013, and Virgin Atlantic in 2014? I know a 787 doesn’t make sense long-haul due to slot constraints but surely it could make a good mid-haul alternative…Cairo, Tel Aviv, Moscow, Jeddah, Rekjavik, etc.

Many thanks,

Hengli

Bucksnet
    Participant

The 787 is a major leap in aircraft design, and would be perfect for many long haul routes from LHR.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I don’t quite know why but I have no inclination to fly on the 787 until it is well proven in commercial service. Perhaps it is all the problems there have been in the run up to operations but it will be a long time before I choose to fly on it.

I’m usually very different and was on the first A380 from SIN-SYD but the 787 just leaves me cold so I rather hope it doesn’t appear on too many LHR routes any time soon.

RichHI1
    Participant

LPPSKrisflyer, interesting comments as they are mirror opposite to my own. I guess there is a logical and an emotional part to how we make these choices. I am hoping the improvements in cabin ventillation prove to be borne out. I understand the A380 has already made some strides in this area.

LeTigre
    Participant

RichHI1, that is precisely why I struggle to find the 787 so revolutionary, the A380 already has most of the core upgrades with regards to basic comfort while the ‘Sky’ interior has been in service for years with the 737-800.

While this is the case, I still recognise it as a significant improvement over its predecessor- the 767, so I still look forward to flying on it. Any ideas whether Continental/United will operate 787s to Heathrow, considering the current dominance of 767s?

RichHI1
    Participant

Sorry I dumped UAL for AA about 10 years ago, so I know AA have 787’s on order and I think they will probably replace the 763 transtalantics from ORD etc but no clue on UAL ops. I know Continental use narrowbody 757 on soem flights into LHR now.

Bucksnet
    Participant

The 737 has only recently got the Sky Interior actually.

Charles-P
    Participant

I understand from friends in the US that the aircraft is very quiet inside and very smooth when crusing. I happen to think it looks very elegant as well but I’m funny like that.

RichHI1
    Participant

I agree, I find the design of certain planes more elegant or iconic. The 747, the concorde for two examples. I think the 787 is appealing in that way whereas I do not find the B777 series or the A380 particularly elegant.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

we are all such Princes/Princesses and “spoilt kids”, that irrespective of whether the 787 is the most advanced aircraft flying or not, there is more importance and relevance as to whats inside the craft in terms of creature comforts, than on the outside. I bet these pages will be filled with comments once the interior designs of the ultra long haul’s are published, especially the ones bound for BA.

What still matters to me are the seat prices, the flight timings and the cabin product. 787, 380, 330 – NAH – give me the upper deck, 60J on a BA 747-400, winner every time!

Scandinavian
    Participant

Who will be the first B787 operator at LHR! Good question…

Some of the earliest operators are ANA, JAL, Air India and Ethiopian. United get their first mid 2012. My money is therefore on Ethiopian or JAL…

Ethiopian because it is similar to 757/767 capacity they use today and it could be good to test the aircraft to LHR before sending it transatlantic. JAL because I seem to recall them leasing out a daily slot two or three years ago. If that slot is to come back anytime soon then maybe the B787 would offer the right capacity for a new frequency from TYO or a reinstated KIX…

I think the B787 itself will offer a quieter journey than today’s aircraft and isn’t it meant to be somewhat faster too – so it could offer shorter trips.

Lighter aircraft, shorter trips, less fuel consumption = good for the environment and airline operating costs!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

One to look out for is AA when it takes delivery of its first B787 in 2014.

Although the long range version of the B787 was intended to operate on non-trunk routes, AA says it might deploy this aircraft on the JFK-LHR run.

I imagine the rationale is frequency of schedule in conjunction with BA. Also use of the B787 will allow AA to show off its best product (by then AA should have better J seating) to corporate customers.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10846013/1/american-787s-may-fly-new-york-london.html?puc=outbrain&puc=outbrain&cm_ven=outbrain&obref=obnetwork

LeTigre
    Participant

I see why Ethiopian could be the likely first operator, especially considering that several of their 787s are already built/in production. United and Continental also seem likely due to reasons stated earlier of 757/767 capacity. However, the JAL LHR flights do not seem likely if a larger plane is being displaced and even less likely if a leased slot is to be relinquished owing to the financial troubles at the airline.

One particular concern of mine is the toilet window, how on Earth would one go about protecting dignity with a passing A380?

Scandinavian
    Participant

@ Hengli

The secret will be to keep the toilet window shutter down if peeing at a major airport.

JAL have already announced B787 between BOS and NRT from S12. Probably getting too late for them to announce a “new” B787 service from LHR should slots be returned!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls