Fingerprint scanners at immigration

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• icenspice
    Participant

This was my second time landing at Osaka Kansai. At pre-immigration the scanner could not read my 2 index fingers.

Same again at the immigration desk, but thankfully I was granted permission to enter.

I am rather curious about this. Any explanations? (and please don’t tell me I need my extremities checked out!).

silkenthreads
    Participant

The scanner at KIX could not read my index fingers either (I have entered Japan twice this year). I was told that this can result from dry fingers. Last year I had a plaster on my finger and if I recall was asked to give a thumb print instead.

silkenthreads “from west to east”

1 user thanked author for this post.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

A tip I was given at Changi when the same problem occurred and that was to wipe your fingers across your forehead and the tips of your fingers that access the scanner will pick up any moisture. It worked for me

icenspice
    Participant

I regularly use disinfectant hand gel and thought maybe that was a possible reason.

Hello silkenthreads, I arrived back in Europe almost a week ago and am still suffering from terrible jetlag. I have said it before that east to west does my head in!

capetonianm
    Participant

Interesting, because I have always had difficulty using touchscreens, they don’t respond unless I jab at them really hard. Other people don’t have to do that. I wonder if it is to do with dry skin as my skin generally is drier than most people. I shall try above trick next time I have to use a touchscreen.

stevescoots
    Participant

I have the same problem using HKG scanners, have done for years, fortunatly they have a little damp sponge next to the scanners that does the trick

BPP
    Participant

Noticed this for the first time recently in BKK.
    Tell me what happens to these scans afterwards – data protection etc?
    BPP

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I hate these scanners, you never know if the person before you has clean fingers or what they may leave behind on the scanner. I ask them to wipe them first and if not I keep a few medical swabs in my pocket and do it myself. Often to the bemusement of the oficial.

BPP
    Participant

Hi Lugano Pirate. A very valid point and a good suggestion.
    BPP

Inquisitive
    Participant

I have had this issue regularly at both USA and Singapore immigration counters.

It is mainly due to dry skin after long haul flights.
    Singapore now keep a wet rollers to make one’s finger wet at each counter; that works fine.
    I was given the forehead sweat advice once at USA immigration.

It is Kan issue but ultimately it always worked for me and never faced a situation like OP.

When Heathrow first started IRIS recognition entry long ago (think Y2007), I thought that will be world standard in a few years. Not sure why that didn’t happen.

capetonianm
    Participant

Singapore now keep a wet rollers to make one’s finger wet at each counter; that works fine

Even in Singapore, it must be a breeding ground for all sorts of nasties when you see where some people put their fingers. I use anti-bacterial gel after using any form of public transport or touching those things.

BPP

agsteele
    Participant

Fingerprint scanners need some moisture on the hands. When I was working in the police service we used to keep a bottle of moisturiser alongside the fingerprint machines.

It can also require good pressure – especially with these public units which are rarely wiped clean.

Terry
    Participant

I always think it is because my hands are quite dry after flying long flights with low air humidity. Seems to dry out the oils. I wipe them on my thumbs, but maybe an oily part of skin is better. No Global Entry uses facial recognition so the problem is gone.

MarcusGB
    Participant

These Finger print scans as well as face photographs feature in Thailand , and also in Malaysia at Immigration,
    Amsterdam have them for non European National arrivals also.
    The Privium eye scanning system at Schiphol Airport, still goes strong, on a subscription, one for the base service, the other to include their lounge access, priority parking, more for Dutch Residents. I too wonder why these were removed at LHR after being so quick, reliable and popular.

At each place, i have seen an alcogel bottle which i always use.

However, these days, we should all be using this and carrying one for travel anyhow, especially for train and Air travel where many people will have been previously.
    Think of going through security also, and if your baggage is handled.
    I usually alcolgel suitcase handles and locks area, different style bags i have carried or placed on the floor during the process of flying through airports.
    I often don’t think it does any harm to clean your seat table also on board an aircraft.
    Quite obviously on low cost Airlines, they are not often cleaned between each flight, certainly i have seen Ryanair are not.

In Hospitals we are presented at (The better run ones) to hygiene as you enter in and out with alcogel, so why not more the use at Airports, and with your own travel?
    Washing of hands regularly is always sensible, and this is a supplement to that, i cannot think of travelling between countries without it!
    The wipes are non degradable mostly so the gel is much easier and “Green”.
    You can buy it at your supermarket or chemist for £2 for 250ml, use a simple < 100mls bottle in yr carry on bag & place in yr liquids bag through Security, and at chemists stores at the Airport, but more expensive but in travel sizes.

evelyn
    Participant

I had great in China recently using fingerprint recog at immigration. Even with the wet roller. I was later told that fingerprints become flatter ie less differetiation as you age. Anyone know if this is really true?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls