Fear of Flying

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

What does “OCD” stand for Rich?

Now you mention it, I always wear my Breitling Navigator (the one with the emergency locator built in) when flying. I feel distinctly uncomfortable when it’s in for servicing and I don’t have it with me. I always think if we do go down at least they’ll find me!

RichHI1
    Participant

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

canucklad
    Participant

Apparently folks, fear of flying is not so much about the actual dynamics or uncertainty of flight! It has more to do with fear of not being in control of your destinity! All the understanding of how they stay up in the air really means nothing because once we have strapped ourselves in we are basically giving up future control of our lives for the duration . Hoping and trusting our pilots aren’t idiots-mentally unstable or Homer Simpson! Take control back people. Will I have red or white with my dinner ?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Rich, Mrs. LP thinks I suffer from that as well!!!

GlobalTravellerTom
    Participant

In 2004 I developed panic attacks and at the time my job would have me fly 8-10 times a year. These were unbearable. However a job change in 2007 meant I was making upto 60 flights a year. Amazingly I just got bored of being scared and this went a huge way to overcoming the attacks.

Now days I still feel uncomfortable with take off and turbulence but have no issues with landings in strong winds or poor weather. On such events I always make a point of thanking the captain/flight team when leaving the plane though. A good way to overcome landings in bad weather is to just take a trip over to Belfast. I think I have become somewhat of a junkie for this route as the landings are always breath taking and everyone is holding on for dear life.

If I may suggest to those who are still not 100% comfortable with flying, try listening to an audio recording called “What Goes Up Must Come Down” By David Gunson. It is a very old after dinner talk but brilliantly done and will put you at ease I am sure.

Anyone else listened to this before?

Capt_Tom_Bunn_LCSW
    Participant

As a licensed therapist and airline captain, I’ve specialized in treating fear of flying for years. We have several systems for regulating arousal. The most basic is the Mobilization System. When anxious, we want to run or fight. Flying blocks that system. We have other regulatory systems, but they – being more sophisticated – require development early in life. One system uses high level thinking to override the Mobilization System’s fight or flight response. Another system, one that regulates anxiety based on relationships, can be used to automatically control anxiety when flying.

Captron
    Participant

As a 40+ year pilot (10 in the US Air Force and 30 as an airline pilot), I can tell you that your fears are typical. Anything that causes anxiety in an airplane during the daylight hours is going to be worse at night.–that’s the way the brain works. Practically speaking, the best insurance that you have about pilots operating safely is that they are on board with you and therefore heavily invested in the safe outcome of your flight.

Weather such as thunderstorms and the risks they present are mitigated the same–day or night–with the use of weather radar, both on board and available to Air Traffic Control. Nobody messes with thunderstorms. What you can’t see (and probably don’t know) is that the radar display shows areas of varying intensity that we use to interpret the risk the weather presents. We NEVER directly penetrate a thunderstorm. However, the nature of the air around thunderstorms is that it is unstable–meaning rife with up and down drafts. Consequently, you may experience turbulence but that does NOT mean that you are in jeopardy. Bottom line is we don’t like turbulence any more than you but it represents more of an ANNOYANCE that a THREAT to us.

If you’d like more information and/or to continue a dialogue about this and other fear of flying issues, go to http://www.fearlessflight.com.

Best of Luck,
    Capt Ron

stevescoots
    Participant

never had a fear of flying, cant see as I will. I enjoy a bit of turbulance, except when I have a drink in hand! it breaks up the boredom. I have had a couple of moments, a raised heartbeat on a BA 747 when the oxymasks all dropped down, and an underwaer changing one on a china eastern flight when we either hit a down draft on decent or we stalled, I think the latter judging from the lack of power up when the flaps came out, we slowed…and the pilot didn not put the power up. either way we dropped horizontally like a brick, I looked out the window after the pilot threw the engines into max and we were probably 15 seconds from hitting the deck. now that made me scared, but only until we landed after a go around

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am not scared of flying but I do feel very uncomfotable if the window blinds are down, especially on landing. To hear the engines cut, followed by the thud of the gear hitting “something”, would far prefer to see it was indeed the runway.

canucklad
    Participant

Worst for me was was heading to Chicago from Toronto on an AC Dc-9 ..Had a few pints with mates prior to departure..Went to the loo just before seat belt sign went on for landing. As i was standing there just about to do the neccassary…I found myself flat on my back pinned to the floor of the lavatory..staring up at my feet!! After about 30 seconds i was able to regain my footing, didnt need a pee anymore and re-joined a very subdued cabin.. On landing the woman at the back of me-still white as a ghost said that we had just missed another aircraft by about 100ft or metres!!

The other occasion was leaving YVR in a CP 747…I had the back row window seat..Noticed that the plane did turned left onto the runway, then did a 180 degree turn. By the time the turn was completed the back end was actually over the grass ! On the take-off run we revved up and up , tarted slowly picked up speed and passed the the terminal building –normally when the aircraft leaves terra firma ! —passed the 3rd taxiway—and then the last taxiway way…Most of the frequent flyers on board were anxious , including me–you could tell by the gasps of relieve as we soared into the air with absolutelty no runway left.. Just the Straights of Georgia !!

Anything out of the ordinary and then I start to think about exits etc !!

RichHI1
    Participant

Just to gibe you a good laugh I share my early flight scares. We go back to the early 1970’s when I was apprehensive. First trip to LAX on Pan Am 747SP. I thought all Airports were like LHR with one take off and ome lamding runway. All went well ( boring one movie with awful
    Tube headset) when suddenly I see an AA 747 racing us for the runway. After 11 hours in isolation it looked about 20 feet away. I thought they are taking our runway, we are going to crash…. Now of course I know about 24L and 25L and of course nothing happened…. Then my first trip to SFO… We came down … Lower … Lower and i realized water was visible
    On both sides. Lower .. Lower … I could see the waves … We are going to crash in the water … Now i know the runway sticks out into the bay and of coursw nothing happened. Last one leaving Bob hope on PSA DC9. Revved up at start of runway , wheels left the ground and we lurched violently and seems to be falling… We’re crashing… Aaaargh… Now i know about the Mountains and the Bob Hope noise abatement rules. As they say nothing to fear but fear itself. I too like mild chop though one flight over pacific from NRT to HNL and another over Greenland on LGW-STL I experienced what I believe was CAT and we dropped like a stone. They were not funny even in retrospect.

There are a lot of people that dread flying for one reason or another. There are certainly a lot that we see in the business community. There are lots of professionals out there that would be delighted to help you with your fears – whatever they may be and however they have arrived. Here is a link to what is intended is a helpful clip http://youtu.be/ayXvS5b9jVE

Take care
    Paul Tizzard

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think these courses are great.

I’ve never suffered a fear of flying (except, perhaps once on a very old United 747, my first crossing of the Pacific en route to Hawaii on which I could hear the airframe clunking around) but I know several people who’ve been on these courses and haven’t had a worry since.

I’ve sat next to a few nervous flyers, and explaining to them what all the bumps, gongs and retraction noises are does seem to help them regain composure.

RichHI1
    Participant

Agree, ignorance breeds fear (though more knowledge can make you realize what could happen). I learned to fly to get rid of my fears.
    I would encourage anyone concerned about flying to take one of these courses.

simonjames
    Participant

Thank you so much for your comforting tips and turbulence clarified. This Forum is truly incredible and has actually assisted me to feel more confident.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls