Fear of Flying

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)

• Capt_Tom_Bunn_LCSW
    Participant

Turbulence is the biggest problem. The best way to prove the plane is safe in turbulence is using an app that measures the G forces on the plane. It helps when you see the actual G force is no where near what the plane can handle,

This page has links to g force apps for iPhone and for Android phones: http://www.fearofflying.com/app/

marcfreund636
    Participant

I started flying internationally from the age of 17. The first three or four flights, Usual turbulence aren’t any danger for a modern airplane….

travelworld
    Participant

I sat next to a very nervous passenger once in J class on Virgin from Boston to LHR. The crew made a fuss of him and he was taken to the cockpit before push back. I offered to talk him through the noises and sensations as we taxied but he said he was fully aware of what went on and it brought little solace. He asked instead to talk to me about anything but flying. So I did until well after takeoff; eventually as the flight was a redeye I had to get to sleep as I had work the next day. A couple of hours later I awoke in mild turbulence to see him having a major panic attack- he was hysterical-with three crew members trying to comfort him. Luckily, the cabin was nearly empty and the turbulence soon subsided. After landing he apologised profusely and said that he was very embarrassed about what had happened. I underplayed it and said I hadn’t noticed.

I then asked him what he did for a living. For some reason I hadn’t raised this before. He looked slightly embarrassed.

“I’m a racing driver” he said. And he was- on big motor bikes. He had actually done well at the Isle of Man TT that year. He hated flying as he wasn’t in control….

A_delyn
    Participant

I once read a wonderful book about flying and the fear of flying which helped me a lot. Unfortunately I can’t remember the title!

CarlaDevis
    Participant

I had also a great fear by flying. After my friend suggestion I have joined a course which helped me a lot to overcome my fear of flying. You won’t believe after that I am flying for the 3rd time in my life in September and am not scared; this has helped a lot and this thread give me great help.

AirHollywood
    Participant

Anyone who is in Los Angeles should check out the trial #FearofFlying class on May 31st for $30

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/open-sky-fear-of-flying-preliminary-trial-class-tickets-11702880631

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Being a relatively new contributor I had not seen this discussion before. I love flying apart from turbulence. I know what causes it, that the wings won’t fall off but it’s still a problem. The ex found it amusing that it always happened in the same place (at cruising height over Germany) and mid to late afternoon from May to October. He used to work in aviation, systems not flight deck, so I had more info than most on what every little noise meant. I now have a good idea when turbulence is coming but listening to mp3/reading doesn’t help.

I’ve read an excellent little book, “Flying, No Fear!” by Captain Adrian Akers-Douglas, watched various YouTube films on the subject and know about the courses that Virgin and BA run. I don’t need to do the whole course so seems a waste of £250 as I can quite easily get on an aircraft, it’s what sometimes happens during the flight that causes me a problem. Planning longhaul holiday for next year so that may well be the cure I’m looking for!

Capt_Tom_Bunn
    Participant

As both an airline captain and a licensed therapist, I’ve worked with fearful fliers for over thirty years. The advanced methods I’ve developed are now in book form. “SOAR: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying” is already by far the best-selling book on the subject and the first part of the book can be read at http://goo.gl/MFgZYC

Username soarbook
    Password 54321

BigDog.
    Participant

..British Airways will screen a seven-hour-long train journey on board its flights, as stressed passengers warm to “slow TV” …

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviation/10920116/British-Airways-launches-in-flight-slow-TV-with-seven-hour-film-of-train-journey.html

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I only watch the moving map so this sounds like fun. I’ve always wanted to sit upfront in a train, so this is the next best thing.

And yes, I do have a life 😉

MartynSinclair
    Participant

You film the journey LP and I’ll drive the train……………. oh yes!! 🙂

LuganoPirate
    Participant

You’re on Martyn..

HongKongLady
    Participant

I used to take rescue remedy and now rely on a glass or possibly 2 of champagne before I board, as boarding is my low point. However I have recently had to fly in the morning I.e before it would be polite to request a drink, although as one lovely elderly gentleman told me, it is always 6 o’ clock somewhere 🙂
    A film of a train journey seems an unusual way of de stressing, but hey it may appeal. I have seen a film of the journey from Derby to London, luckily it was speedy up.

MrMichael
    Participant

I do not have a fear of flying, just a fear of Air France.

BigDog.
    Participant

In addition to satisfying MartynS and LPs desire to be Casey Jones, BA are adding a cute cuddly animals channel.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/11025513/British-Airways-launches-cute-animals-TV-channel.html

What subjects would posters recommend next to calm nervous passengers?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls