Extra runways at London airports

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 546 total)

• Edski777
    Participant

So after the input of public consultations and submission of the findings on May14, 2014, reaching a conclusion will only take 12 to 15 months. After which, no doubt, several lawsuits will follow.

Pretty impressive. I don’t expect any real action on the expansion before 2020.

Major hubs on the continent and in Turkey and the Middle East must be having a field day.

canucklad
    Participant

I think this sums up the situation nicely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on2I1U-F3BY

Followed on with this quote about the workings of government
    “ Government are very good at “ACTIVITY ” and not so at “ACHIEVEMENT”

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ canucklad – 28/04/2014 12:40 GMT

This topic is rather like the pundits in “the Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” who make a nice little earner for themselves debating and discussing the answer to the ultimate question of Life, the Universe and Everything. Only then to be dumbfounded when Deep Thought reveals the answer to be 42. Deep Thought explained that the answer was incomprehensible because the beings didn’t know what they were asking. It went on to predict that another computer, more powerful than itself would be made and designed by it to calculate the question for the answer.

I dare say that quite a few of us will either be 6′ under or have entered Hades before the industry that is fudging the issue of runway capacity in London and the South-East finally computes an agreed, acceptable and comprehensible answer.

But that’s the problem of a democracy with property rights: there is always someone to be upset, appeased, bought off. So much simpler in a one-party state with no property rights outside the controlling party.

canucklad
    Participant

Afternoon AD

Here’s the link related to my quote above

http://m.youtube.com/?reload=2&rdm=130ynk46r#/watch?v=epWZ5KW1aLM

SimonS1
    Participant

transtraxman – 28/04/2014 11:19 GMT
    “The Airports Commission is due to report its final findings in summer 2015.”

Handily the election is May 7th enabling two things to happen:

1. No debate during the election campaign as everyone will feel a need to await the final findings thus avoiding difficult doorstep questions in marginal constituencies.

2. The new government can then safely bin the findings and appoint a new commission of enquiry to enquire whether the previous enquirers conducted their enquiries in a suitably diligent way.

If by some miracle the government holds on then the introduction of a 10th new Transport Secretary in 14 years should give the whole thing a good clearance into the long grass.

God Save the Queen.

transtraxman
    Participant

Runway expansion in the South East Of England is a hot potato without doubt. However, somebody at some point must take up the challenge.

Politics being the overiding factor then a politically acceptable solution must be found.

Maybe it is the restriction of use of a third runway due to noise and fumes.
    Maybe it is combining the extension of the runway to the elemination of the level crossings along the Windsor lines from Clapham Junction, together with the announcement of a resurgence of Airtrack.
    Maybe it is a question of leaving the market foces to play their role without help.
    Who knows? We know it is, unfortunately, going to be a “fudge” as tends to be the British solution to problems.

The solution is not going to satisfy everybody. Let us hope it satisfies at least some people and solves, at least, the greatest problems.

I am not optimistic.

Charles-P
    Participant

For those of us who work in Aviation the third runway at Heathrow is a no-brainer. NATS, the government, Heathrow and nearly every adviser feels the same. I was in the tower there recently and saw the arrangements that have been made in anticipation of the new runway.

The village of Sipson is now more or less all owned by Ferrovial so the original arguments about people being turned out of their homes are gone, the current supporting transport infrastructure is in place and unless you moved into your house in 1929 you can’t really complain about there being an airport nearby. The Tories will get the next election out of the way and then immediately announce the plans, the eco-nutters will of course explode with righteous indignation that they are not getting their own way but everybody else will probably see the sense in it and move on.

canucklad
    Participant

Just watched question time and my reaction to the answers about the 3rd runway question. …………………..particularly the politicians answers…….

Ahhhhhhhhhggggggghhhhh.

Charles-P
    Participant

Pretty much my reaction to all politicians these days. We have recently had elections here in Belgium and the argument for one idiot seeking my vote was – ‘It’s my turn’.

The building of a third runway at Heathrow is so obvious that I assume the only reason the major parties are not supporting it is because the swivel eyed loons of the Green Party can cause them voting problems.

Imagine if these people had been able to have a say in the development of China, or Dubai or 18th Century London ?

BigDog.
    Participant

canucklad – 29/05/2014 22:41 GMT

+1

With the exception of the sculpture otherwise very poor.

Why does the BBC seek give a fair amount of airtime to the political musings of thick people just because they are either photogenic or ok at some sport?

Charles-P
    Participant

BigDog- Jeremy Clarkson wrote a column for the Sunday Times a couple of years ago where he talked about the “race to the bottom” in modern broadcasting, how ignorance is assumed and stupidity rewarded. He mentioned for example how the QI show would never today be commissioned because it is viewed as ‘elitist’ and how a BBC staff member urged him to remove a piece that compared racing car to aviation aerodynamics because it would be “difficult for some to understand”.

Edski777
    Participant

We better stop bashing politicians. I you study the root cause of the problems it’s the voters that elected them to govern the country in accordance with their wishes and ideas. This system is called democracy.

Most of these voters, some present on this forum, wake up every in astonishment on “what they want today”.

Apparently what we want is a discussion about a third runway, but not a real life third runway. And that is exactly what we have had and will have for a very long time to come. 😉

BigDog.
    Participant

You are right Charles.

Edski – I was not referring to or bashing politicians but (in this inst) the thick thug footballer – previously imprisoned for common assault and affray also has several other offences – being given airtime just because he is notorious…

As Charles notes, a race to the bottom.

canucklad
    Participant

I’ll happily bash the politicians

Our politicians are failures because they are exceptionally good at being busy achieving actions and totally inept at actioning achievements.

Our economy requires a decision now, unfortunately our politicians are shit scared of losing Joey Barton’s vote and as such will wallow in what looks like action but is in actual fact a delaying tactic right out of Yes minister……akin to this quote from Sir Humprey Appleton …..

“In government, many people have the power to stop things happening but almost nobody has the power to make things happen. The system has the engine of a lawn mower and the brakes of a Rolls Royce.”

So we do indeed live in a parody of our own making, it would be hilarious if it wasn’t so bloody sad and damaging to us all.

Charles-P
    Participant

‘canucklad’ – fully agree. I am sick to the back teeth of this generation of European politicians with their combination of ridiculous political correctness and inability to take a stand on what they believe in. Furthermore I am increasingly of the opinion that it is the business world that is the true protector of the people rather than the politicians. It is business that provides clean water, medical advances, security, education and opportunity.

Imagine a Europe run by Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum ?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 546 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls