Extra runways at London airports

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 546 total)

• AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ TimFitzgeraldTC – 14/05/2015 09:52 BST

Nice idea but I thought that the received wisdom was that giving LHR another strip would mean that LGW could not justify the substantial investment costs in their own expansion plans. Interestingly, in the London Tory Standard rag the other night, there was comment along the lines that the costs of LHR’s extension/expansion had been woefully under-costed and the potential hit the public purse will take is substantial.

Watch this space for the cancellation of the HS2 project. After all, with a wafer thin majority, you cannot afford to p*ss off not one but two separate blocs of Tory backwoodsmen can you? Always good to see how crucial infrastructure projects are entirely subordinate to the machinations of the Tory party.

SimonS1
    Participant

I understand the Davies Commission is due to report on Wednesday.

What will be the outcome? Now the government has freed itself of the constraints of the coalition will there be room for further prevarication?

Sounds like things are not well at the DFT – hot on the heels of the great West Coast balls up a big chunk of the railway upgrade spend has been canned. Will there be some new found backbone or will sitting on the fence be the order of the day?

MrMichael
    Participant

I would have thought LGW would be the winner in this, if nothing else on Safety grounds. One runway operation must have some risk. A couple of years ago on a BA 737 was on of the slips waiting for a slot, we were a light load so did not need the whole runway. I could see another jet about to land from my window seat, suddenly full thrust, turning on to the runway and we were off like a rocket on speed. I kid you not, I crossed more than my fingers that we did not have another aircraft up our backside and the landing jet did not go around. About a minute later I relaxed again.

BigDog.
    Participant

MrMichael – 30/06/2015 07:42 BST – It will be a close call with more prevarication winning methinks. From most perspectives LGW should take it but IMO LHR will at least get a runway extension.

The electric/battery powered aircraft at the Paris Air Show add an interesting counter to the air quality and noise lobbies. Seeing the great steps the “Zero” class in motorcycles have taken in a few years at the TT, Airbus Industries should be able to attain their goal of a 100 seater short haul electric aircraft within 15 years.

For those in the LGW area there is a video timeline for its construction

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3140506/Could-new-Gatwick-Airport-Images-striking-plans-expansion-bids-chosen-site-new-runway-lays-contaminated-Heathrow.html

Interesting article on the “Checkered History of UK Airport Expansion” from London Airport (precursor to LHR) onward.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33285659

Westlake501
    Participant

I hate to be pessimistic but I strongly expect that in five years’ time we’ll be no closer to having a new runway built at either Heathrow or Gatwick.

Although a third runway at Heathrow in many respects would be the best option I can’t see it being deliverable. It would be bogged down in inquires, legal challenges, etc. for years and years and eventually get cancelled. The Gatwick option, although I’m sure it would be bedevilled with issues, is more deliverable and there is a fighting chance the runway would actually be built.

Charles-P
    Participant

I am unable to understand why it is a case of one or the other. To my mind if London wants to go on being a major hub then BOTH Gatwick and Heathrow need an extra runway.

BigDog.
    Participant

Given most political parties have spoken of bridging the North/South divide, having LGW as a final contender for a Hub has always been a tad bemusing as a 2-3 hour catchment area merely aids London and south east.

A hub based at LTN (or even STN) could have well served the midlands, mid north east and east Anglia as well as London within 2-3 hours – a substantially larger catchment area.

transtraxman
    Participant

I think what Charles P says is the way forward.

Big Dog mentions LTN (or even STN).In my view STN is out in the boondocks as would be any Estuary airport. The infrastructure to STN is deficient and any bettering of it would not better anybody else outside East Anglia.

The objections against Luton is the lay of the terrain. However, I have never understood how one can propose constructing an airport on marshland or quicksands to destroy the environment and the multiple wildlife habitats that exist there. On the other hand setting loose some bulldozers to level the terrain between Luton and Harpenden where four independent runways could be built between the MML and the ECML is a much more logical and feasible solution.

Since that option is not on the cards then the solution has to be expanding both Heathrow and Gatwick.By the time both are up and running they could be straining at the seams which means that Luton should be looked at again.

BigDog.
    Participant

Airports Commission report ‘to back Heathrow runway’

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33327904

…But while backing Heathrow, it may also leave the door open for alternative expansion at Gatwick….

….Sources in the aviation industry and across Whitehall believe Sir Howard will back a third runway at Heathrow, saying it will bring significant economic benefits to the UK.

He will not, though, rule out a second runway at Gatwick as a credible option – meaning that the Government will be left to make the final decision….

The BBC reports

edit – continued 1- July

….A third option for extending the present runways at Heathrow was rejected….

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33340565

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/11709288/Heathrow-third-runway-wins-over-Gatwick-live.html

Will Wingate keep to his threat of not developing LGW if LHR gets a runway?

Will Cameron keep his 2009 promise: “The third runway at Heathrow is not going ahead, no ifs, no buts.” ? Pundits think he will.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/11709300/David-Cameron-will-not-break-promise-on-opposing-new-Heathrow-runway-sources-claim.html

Now where is that long grass??

GrahamSmith

The Airports Commission has recommended a third runway at Heathrow:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/101817/airports-commission-backs-third-heathrow-runway

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

Ah, the perfect ‘Yes Minister’ outcome – cue many more years of fudge and prevarication. Don’t expect a ‘final’ decision any time soon……

SimonS1
    Participant

Interesting. Let’s see if the government has the balls to take it forward of whether the UK economy will be constrained by more years of fudge and muddle.

openfly
    Participant

1st April 2050…..,, King William to open the new runway at London Heathrow today !!!

Westlake501
    Participant

King William! I think King George is more likely to open any new runway at Heathrow!

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Carajillo2Sugar , I got a copy of the minutes from the meeting already ,

It’s clear that the Committee has agreed that your new policy is really an excellent plan. But in view of some of the doubts being expressed, may I propose that I recall that after careful consideration, the considered view of the Committee was that, while they considered that the proposal met with broad approval in principle, that some of the principles were sufficiently fundamental in principle, and some of the considerations so complex and finely balanced in practice that in principle it was proposed that the sensible and prudent practice would be to submit the proposal for more detailed consideration, laying stress on the essential continuity of the new proposal with existing principles, the principle of the principal arguments which the proposal proposes and propounds for their approval. In principle.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 546 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls