Expensive Day for Swiss?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m not sure how long this link will last, but it seems due to technical inspections Swiss has cancelled 30 European flights today from Zurich and Geneva. Most are under 1,500 kms but I think Pristina, Madrid and Gothenburg are further.

https://www.swiss.com/ch/EN/various/breaking-news-2

I’m guessing passengers will all be entitled to claim under EU261 and that could be rather expensive? Ouch!!

pheighdough
    Participant

LuganoPirate it raises the simple question ‘what price safety?’. I think this is commendable that they took the decision to ground the fleet after another engine issue, and being so public and up front about it.
    I agree EU261 could be a large amount of money, but this could be offset with the excellent reaction and publicity that a diversion into Paris with a major issue could have, and not being seen to react to it

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Absolutely agree with you Pheighdough, and I did wonder why they did this. This was not meant to be a criticism of Swiss, far from it, as, apart from their abandonment of Lugano, I still love flying with them. I see it involved the A220 and I’d imagine if it was an engine issue then Airbus and / or the engine manufacturer will have to pick up any compensation bill?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

This piece is in German language but refers to Korean Air now inspecting its A220s.

Two other A220 operators, Air Baltic and US airline Delta, have seemingly not faced issues.

Auch Korean Air inspiziert ihre Airbus A220

capetonianm
    Participant

This is one of many reasons why I choose Swiss in preference to nearly any other carrier when possible.

Technically and legally I think that passengers would be entitled to claim EU261 compensation since technical failures have been deemed to be within the control of the operator, and up to a point that makes sense. In a case like this, I would guess that the carrier would then claim costs back from the manufacturer concerned.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AircraftLover
    Participant

I believe, Swiss, in abundance of precaution, decided to ground the A-220 fleet.
    I have plenty of confidence, that for Swiss, safety comes before economics.
    The Airline is working with the engine manufacturer, to find out what is the origin of the problem on the Pratt & Whitney PW1500G powerplant.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

All in all the industry magazine ATW reports that Swiss had to cancel 100 flights owing to the A220 issues.

https://atwonline.com/engines/swiss-cancels-100-flights-a220-engine-inspections-continue

Jenni Reid
    Keymaster

They have said in a statement that passengers will be “rebooked to the best possible alternative at Swiss’s expense. In addition, tickets of passengers who were/are booked on a cancelled flight can be rebooked or refunded free of charge.”

3 users thanked author for this post.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Quite refreshing to hear/read in a time where corporate entities still focus on profit first and people somewhere else on the list of priorities

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

Can someone please explain what the issue was that resulted in this ’emergency’ inspection of the fleet taking place.

Inquisitive
    Participant

I have flown plenty A320, but not A220 – didn’t even know it exist. Could anyone indicate besides Swiss anyone else fly this?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[postquote quote=972881][/postquote]

The A220 is the rebranded Bombardier C series after it was taken over by Airbus. A very comfortable aircraft and one I flew many times both as the C300 and then as the A220.
    My worst ever flight was in one over the Swiss Alps when due to high winds we suffered extreme turbulence. I thought my time was up. People were screaming, the plane was all over the place but we landed safely and I was so impressed by the strength and capability of the aircraft and crew.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[postquote quote=972768][/postquote]

Should have bought Rolls Royce 😉

cwoodward
    Participant

AFlyingDutchman wrote:
    Can someone please explain what the issue was that resulted in this ’emergency’ inspection of the fleet taking place.

The issues are with the engines not the aircraft.

pheighdough
    Participant

cwoodward the reason for the ’emergency’ inspection was three engine failures in three months https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-airbus-swiss/new-swiss-a220-jet-engine-failure-forces-checks-idUKKBN1WU2UT
    A similar situation happened at Qantas following the engine failure of QF32 in Singapore where the failure of the engine resulted in the grounding of the entire Qantas A380 fleet.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls