EU ETS for airlines

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

May-be the EU is dreaming to be able to extend their laws enforcement to look a bit like the US (who actually achieve that idea to see some US laws applied worldwide)… More generally, the timing is absurd. And it will cost EU a lot as I do expect to see the Chinese for instance retaliating…

canucklad
    Participant

A subject that truly raises a bee in my bonnet………………

The ruling elite, both in Westminster and Brussels continual propaganda ” Look at how green and caring we are, Imagine them prancing about in Green cloaks and tights looking for an easy target !!

“Oh my” they screech….Just look at those evil evil bad people, killing us all off with their loud noisey planes—filling the skies—-shutting out the sun !! Lets US save the planet for the children……

How they chant…… “Lets tax them, and tax them and want can we do next……Oh lets tax them again.

These pea brained politicians have only one thing on their Agenda…Self satisfying survival… “Profanity of your choice ” , some aren’t even elected

I recently had to do a presentation for my company , promoting the need to save the rainforests!!
    Researching the topic I found the following nugget..

Deforestation is responsible for around a fifth of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions – that’s more than all of the world’s cars, planes, trains and ships put together. Tackling this must play an important part in how we fight global warming.

Drilling down to UK civil aviation would suggest that it has an impact ,but in direct comparison to other polluters minimal, yet its the industry that has been demonised

Mr Camerons lot ,particularly fall foul of my aggitation…. Whats better having planes flying efficiently or sitting in a que possibly as long as 45 minutes at LHR belching out CO2 at ground level

In fact rather than them prancing about in green tights and cloaks they are more suited to wearing a Dick Turpin mask……then again ,he at least distribuited his ill gotten bounty to the poor

Bucksnet
    Participant

A law is going through the US Congress which will make it illegal for airlines to pay the ETS taxes. This could well mean the end of flights between the EU and US!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

This will be interesting. While I think the ETS is nonsense, it raises another question of sovereignty. How can the US legislate against the laws or taxes of another country. I’m looking forward to see how this plays out?

If the UK Government is really against this tax, all they have to do is reduce or eliminate APD to compensate. In reality they’ll just cash in.

Bucksnet
    Participant

The US Congress can pass any law that they want. If they pass a law that prohibits airlines flying to the US from paying taxes to the EU, then that is the law.

The law might state that the airlines pay a fine, which might be so low they carry on flying and treat it as just another business expense. However the fine might be so large that the flights have to be stopped. Other penalties might include imprisonment of the officers of the company or a ban on the airline flying. Anything can be passed into law.

The UK should have abolished APD at the end of this year because of the ETS starting.

Swissdiver
    Participant

I don’t think the USA passed that law prohibiting airlines to pay that tax. But China apparently did (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16901106)…

RichHI1
    Participant

So we hvae the EU in deep financial trouble with a currency that needs rescuing. There is a strong need for growth and increased trade. SO what does the EU do, try to annoy the US and China which are both substnatial trade partners by trying to unilaterally apply unfair trade terms to aviation. No doubt we will see the European Harridan who dreamt up this lunacy telling us she is not scared and the EU will rule the world, the European empire is coming back and who needs jobs . Absolutely incredible. Why cannot these Europeans swallow their pride and do things in a negotiated way?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

You’re so right Rich. The answer is these proposals come from the EU commission which is an unelected body only interested in their own self aggrandisement!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls