EU ETS for airlines

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

• Anonymous

Swissdiver
    Participant

On Monday, the benchmark values will be announced (http://ec.europa.eu/clima/news/articles/news_2011092301_en.htm). Which airlines will be in and which one will be out is probably a question of fleet’s age… Any thought? And bet?

RichHI1
    Participant

Only thing I am sure of is the EU will once again generate massive lawsuits and the legal fraternity will secure their pensions.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Well, Rich, they are still far behind their US colleagues…

RichHI1
    Participant

If only it could stay like that. And the Chinese are going to court as well. Unilateralism is seldom a good thing no matter who does it.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Beyond the fact lawyers could become richer, and back to the initial question, which airlines will be in and which one will be out is probably a question of fleet’s age… Any thought?

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Looks like all foreign carriers will have to pay for their carbon pollution in the EU, an adviser to the bloc’s top court has found, in a setback to a legal challenge from US airlines.

http://www.aircargoworld.com/Air-Cargo-News/2011/10/eu-court-backs-ets-amid-controversy/062533

RichHI1
    Participant

As will the pigs that fly past. Whethet they will be US or Chinese pigs we do not know at this point. EU needs to understand that jobs and security for families come before political posturing. It will be interesting to see the politics of this one. If Chinese and US carriers are told to cancel Airbus orders or both governments impose penalties on UK and european carriers. It is too stupid for words in the middle of the greatest economic downturn for years for these clowns in Brussels to start a trade war. This is not about carbon emissions it is about some Eurocrats on fat expenses with no need to tighten their purse strings trying to show how important they are, and hot news they aren’t.

RichHI1
    Participant

I see from today’s news the Europeans are pressig ahead with this unfair tax. As an independent businessman I find it incredible that the EU wishes to act now to increase travel costs and hinder international trade and growth. As with the banking taxes what makea sense if implemented in a global uniform way by the appropriate global forum is destructive when implementwd unilaterally in attempt to sabre rattle.
    My question is how can those of us who oppose this (and I know some support it) best lobby against it? As a lawyer by training I do not believe in any form or illegal activity or attempts to create a breach of the peace. To date i am posting my view that the EU should refer the matter to the ICAO or relevant body and boycotting all non Uk made products marked made in EU. It seems odd looking for made in China labels though some of the Israeli and latin American fruit ans veg is much better.
    Keen to know any other ideas posters have.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Another reason to get out of the EU ASAFP.

If airlines must suffer this, then we must at least stop APD.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

What is so absurd is that it doesn’t stop pollution. It just means you can pollute if you pay, or if you can find a clever way to offset it, which is what many companies do.

Otherwise you pass the costs on to the public who will turn to US or Chinese products as they are cheaper not being burdened by ETS schemes and despite the energy they use to transport goods across oceans. It’s all quite ludicrous.

RichHI1
    Participant

It does appear that the EU is obsessed with political ideals rather than looking after the needs of its nations’ populations. The bigger any organization, the more detached it becomes from reality. If one looks at large countries like US and Brazil they devolve power to states. As China develops there is a move to localize. Yet EU goes the other way.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Yes, that’s the plan. More and more centralised power. The EU is the enemy of its member states.

http://worldreports.org/edwardharle/the_european_union_collective

“Its purpose is to strip European countries of their residual political independence and sovereignty, and to usurp and absorb them within itself. It is indeed, as the Author demonstrates, ‘the enemy of its Member States'”

Essential reading!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

You’ll love this Rich. The French agreed to the siting of the EU Parliament in Brussels on the condition the EU Parliament sat in Strasbourg for 13 weeks a year. Fair enough you may say. 9 months Belgium and 3 in France.

Except what this translates into is 3 weeks Brussels and 1 week in Strasbourg. So, every 3rd Friday every MP, assistant and officials, put their papers and belongings into a large trunk, and a large fleet of trucks then leaves Brussels for Strasbourg with their effects. This is then repeated for the return a week later.

Think of the carbon emissions emitted for that run 12 times a year?

Bucksnet
    Participant

With the ever increasing crime rate in Brussels, and Belgium as a whole, then maybe a permanent move to Strasbourg is sensible.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls