Etihad's "increased value and flexibility based on customer feedback"

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

BT’s report on Etihad’s withdrawal of their free chauffeur drive service for First and Business Class passengers

Etihad removes free chauffeur service at all international destinations

manages to justify the change on the basis of providing “increased value and flexibility based on customer feedback”.
    Sound familiar? Seems that they have been learning from practice so widely condemned by BT posters when used by BA………

esselle
    Participant

Their spokesman is the nephew of the QA CEO. Maybe they are developing a kind of airlines Esperanto that only makes sense to those who speak it, but which leaves everybody who can’t a bit baffled.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I imagine that passengers who could not benefit from the free chauffeur were the ones that drove this change. Why should they pay for a benefit they can not use.

traveldoc1
    Participant

An interesting attempted spin – removing transport as somehow an IMPROVEMENT in services – but it really won’t wash. I’m a long time Emirates user, and one of the most valued perks is getting off a flight and knowing there’s a limo and knowledgable driver to take me to my final destination. Even less chance I will switch to Etihad now.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Seems that they have been learning from practice so widely condemned by BT posters when used by BA………

Except your pet airline never provided a universal chauffeur service, did it? No, their genius was removing the flower from the ‘first class’ loos.

The airline market is undoubtedly suffering at the moment, the amount of offers I’m getting in my inbox is well up, including many for the summer season – which augurs badly for the leaner winter season and I foresee blood on the floor, unfortunately.

Just a reminder to other readers, make sure you pay for airline tickets with a credit (not debit) card, so you are covered under section 75 and can get a refund if your carrier goes under.

canucklad
    Participant

This is another classic example of an industry leader identifying penny pinching at the expense of the customer. Or put it another way —-ALL OF US
    The Etihad management team (amongst others) have probably come to the conclusion that they can strip back without consequence because compared to others they’re ahead of the pack.

We live in a world where consumers are taken for granted and companies, particularly large conglomerates focus on share price and continued profit growth rather than creating unique and valued experiences.
    Sadly and IMO, companies that blackmail us with loyalty programmes rather than investing and creating clear differences between themselves and their competitors are ultimately contributing to the global homogenization of the industry, leaving us ultimately with no true choice .

To summarise and link Tom’s and FDOS’s points together. …Maybe Etihad’s management team ‘s conclusion was………….“Don’t need the cars, because we’ve still got flowers and BA don’t”

How I dream of an airline that wants to build true brand advocacy, an airline I’d happily recommend to family and friends without fear of comeback. Or am I being naively nostalgic?.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

canucklad

I think it is more likely that EY are having a hard time and need to cut costs/raise additional income streams. Just my opinion and no inside info to back it up.

alistairNicoll
    Participant

There is no doubt that Etihad are in a mess but quite how anyone could describe what they are doing is offering “increased value and flexibility based on customer feedback”is beyond belief.

This is pure cost cutting and will severely damage the brand and result in lost business. This will be a downhill spiral and Etihad should learn from companies that took the opposite approach and increased revenue by improving quality

goalie11
    Participant

I think FDOS is probably right. What is now being seen as poor investments in Alitalia and Air Berlin, and the recent cost cutting in Air Serbia, I think this will be part of an ongoing process at Etihad to cut costs given the losses they suffered in recent months. It is but another measure as we have seen a general reduction in service offerings and benefits on board and on the ground at Etihad over a number of months now.

alistairNicoll
    Participant

I agree with Goalie11 it is not just this change they have been cutting back for a while hoping we will not notice and I suspect it will continue.

It will not be long I imagine that we see Etihad having to cut it’s business class fares with more “promotions” to try and fill the empty seats and then as a result have to further cut back

thebigseats
    Participant

It is absolutely the case that EY are in a world of pain. Cutting costs front & back of house! More to come…

alwaysinclub
    Participant

I have used Etihad a number of times and found their service and product incredibly variable. From tired business seats on their 777, lounges without decent reading material and yet an excellent a380 business class. The car service change really irritates me because they already offer cheaper “saver” tickets for their value seeking customers! I am also certain their fares will not change to reflect better value – in fact I know they haven’t because I have been searching for a round trip from London to Jeddah and the quickest cheapest option seems to be BA!
    The chauffeur that I used in May, when I flew with them from Heathrow told me about this change as has company had been served notice on their contract!

capetonianm
    Participant

Silver lining here : friends of mine who are very price conscious have just got quotes for their next 2 trips on EY for substantially less than EK to whom they have been very loyal over the years.

All the ME carriers are hurting, no surprise there, and no tears in my eyes for them. I think they’re on a downward spiral.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Etihad have been making cut backs to everything, from the FFP Guest program, On-board, meals, lounges and Spa facilities, and access to everything. Clearly no longer the “Boutique Airline”, it started as , nor any different from any other.

It’s standards, experience when travelling with them have declined so significantly, it almost matches those who have given up their loyalty to it. Having been a Gold guest member for years, and my recent First class trip down to Australia, it was a poor experience. I actually discussed the very poor lounge facilities in Melbourne with two Etihad Country Managers, who said clearly this was coming from the top, and so many travelers “Feed Back” was very negative! I also made a complaint regarding the FFP that was changed without notice Feb 2017. I received a reply twice, stating that ” we only did that due to a technical error now corrected, when in fact it was policy for 8 years! Simple lies!
    Removing the Chauffeur cars, simply damages more of what made them different, and a cost to add on when you fly with them from now on. On arrival to Sydney in Jan 17, i was asked to pay an extra $20 to the driver even then!
    As they change, so should we, and offer our loyalty elsewhere.
    Mine certainly has, and the miles spent.

alistairNicoll
    Participant

Just booked Emirates for the first time instead of Etihad (same price)in business. Yes I could have still got the chauffeur on this but quite frankly the general decrease in customer service and the lack of any Premium channels for security screening during transfer at the so called (Etihad in flight magazine May 2017) state of the art terminal at Abu Dhabi meant that I could not be bothered. If Emirates any good then I will stay with them or otherwise use Qatar

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls