End of the road for Bamboo Airlines Long Haul?

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Rferguson2
    Participant

I was looking at some fares for travel to Vietnam and on to Australia for November and as I had seen some attractive fares on Bamboo Airways ex FRA previously I went down that avenue.

Surprisingly, I discovered that from Nov availability on ANY 787 operated route by the airline has been zero’d out.

I guess this could just be a glitch but after having a google I ran across a Reuters report from 27SEP detailing that 30 foreign pilots (over 10% of the airlines total pilot workforce) had left the airline in a two month period after late payment of wages.

At the same time when asked for comment from Reuters Bamboo said ‘ it has undertaken a drastic restructuring encompassing its route network, fleet and human resources.
    “Bamboo Airways has reduced a number of pilot personnel recently to serve this goal,” the statement said, denying that late payments of salaries were the reason behind the departures.’

I cannot see this ending well for their longhaul aspirations.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

In fact the writing was on the wall some time ago Rferguson2

I started a thread on July 28 re this airline cutting its schedules.

Bamboo Airways expected to adjust schedules from August

cwoodward
    Participant

Yes I predicted back then following your post that I believed the end was close given the corruption charges against the major shareholders.

TominScotland
    Participant

It appears that all long-haul routes have been axed by Bamboo

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/bamboo-airways-sydney-melbourne-australian-flights

Rferguson2
    Participant

Yes. There is a statement on Bamboo’s own website that they will transition into a narrow body only airline focusing on domestic and regional routes around south east asia.

I would have loved to have tried them in Business Class, they seemed quite bold in their aspirations. And I really liked their branding.
    Their livery with the bright green doors on a white fuselage reminds me of when I was a teen and would admire the boldness of UTA French airlines in painting their DC10’s white with bright green doors.

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

The below piece seems to explain the present situation rather well.

Bamboo Airways Struggling To Survive, Can’t Pay Pilots On-Time

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Today Germany’s Airliners.de reports “Bamboo Airways: Accounts frozen due to tax debts amounting to millions.”

State media reports that this airline held accounts at three domestic banks.

Debts over 90 days were said to be 102 billion Wong or 3.9 million Euros.

https://www.airliners.de/bamboo-airways-konten-eingefroren-steuerschulden-millionenhoehe/71456

TominScotland
    Participant

Thanks, Alex, sad but inevitable, I guess

BTW, Vietnam’s currency is the Dong not Wong!!

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Bloomberg reporter Danny Lee reports on Bamboo Airways today.

Strict Bloomberg paywall but this X/tweet is self-explanatory.

Until last month this Vietnamese airline was flying to Europe.

Its other long-haul destinations, namely US and Australia, have also been axed.

Ekond222
    Participant

‘BTW, Vietnam’s currency is the Dong not Wong!!’

…Viet Nam…where Dong is King….

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Yes it’s a silly typo by me Ekond222. My apologies to all of you.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls