End of 2022 and the traditional round up of travel…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Only 26 sectors this year, which is exactly double from 2021. Main destinations are Malta and BKK. Pre pandemic I was averaging around 90 sectors per year.

1 new airport TLS and first time back on Easy and Thai for about 10 years.

Most startling statistic from me is generally around 75%-80% of my flights each year are on BA. For the last 2 years, BA has accounted for less than 20% of my flights, either they no longer fly to where I need to go (Asia) or they have simply priced themselves out of the market (Malta) and made their schedules unsuitable.

My air travel for 2022 is now complete. Thank you to all who have provided tips, information and general points of view and discussion that makes me enjoy my world of business, work, and travel more and more each day.

I wish all BT Forum readers a very happy and HEALTHY Christmas and a fabulously prosperous 2023.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

!8 Sectors so far this year I think – London (3 trips), Ljubljana, Toulouse, Doha, Monrovia, Freetown, Banjul & Accra. No new airports yet although it is 40 years since I was in Toulouse. But we still have Sao Tome to go, on 30th December (with TAP), and that will be a new one for me. BA dominates by far in terms of cost and miles, but Asky Airlines and Easyjet also feature.

No massive traumas – waiting for bags at Accra and LHR were the biggest gripes I think. Main thing was the reduction in COVID testing and then edging back to BA Gold for 2023. A welcome return to the First Wing & lounge when I come back in February. Rome, DC and Nairobi/Mombasa on the list for next year, as well as the usual suspects.

So let me echo Martyn’s sentiments and wish all members a very merry Christmas and a successful 2023.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Nice to see this thread back again so thank you Martyn. Let me wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Only 7 sectors this year but that included 3 new airports of Monroe (birthplace of Delta Airlines), Olbia and Krakow.

It should have been 12 sectors and that has been the theme of 2022 for me, disruptions and cancellations. Of the 5 return trips planned, 3 were disrupted including –

– a flight to Norway cancelled at the last minute whilst I was in the departures at Heathrow. I wrote a post about this experience.
    – a return from Monroe being cancelled and us being transferred to a flight on the following necessitating extra costs of a hotel.
    – the outward trip to Olbia due to me being unable to fly since my ears were blocked.

That last experience led to the travel highlight of the year. I was desperately hanging on for my ears to clear but eventually we decided it wasn’t going to happen. Instead, at the last minute we decided to travel out by train & ferry with a routing of London-Paris-Milan-Turin-Olbia. That was the first time I had travelled to the mediterranean by rail and it is definitely an option I would repeat. I must thank the Man in Seat 61 site for the invaluable advice that allowed us to do that.

5 users thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

58 sectors in 2022, 2 OW round the world trips with the rest being UK to Vietnam via HKG, DOH and DUB. All but 2 sectors business related
    Carriers CX, AA, QR, EK, VN and VJ
    Retained my CX diamond on earned points. Dropped BA down to bronze.
    1 new airport, Phu Quoc

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

With the restrictions in HK I could not fly until early November but I did manage 8 sectors but will clock up another 4 prior year end.
    Am making up for lost time in early 2023 with already 10 long haul sectors and 6 short booked for the first 3 months.

Best
    C

esselle
    Participant

Only 6 sectors this year! 4 in EK F to Melbourne, and 2 BA to AGP.

8 sectors in EK F this coming January though!

Merry Christmas to all and safe travels in 2023.

Midlands Traveller
    Participant

I’ve never kept track of the amount of travel I do in a year. Best guess around 50 sectors this year.

Mostly to destinations across Europe, one business trip to IST. Quite a bit of train travel within Europe as well which is often the best option to get around, although sometimes I rent a car.

LH, AF, LX, SN mostly. Couple of flights with BA. One with KLM which was a disaster due to the problems at AMS. One with Flybe which was not much better.

I would estimate 95% of my flights have been delayed by at least 15 minutes. Mostly not long delays, less than an hour. The most common reason appearing to be short staffing. Anyway it has got better through the year with a few even being on time so I am optimistic for 2023.

Merry Christmas All!

onajetplane
    Participant

59 sectors (60 if you count the EK flight from AKL to DXB that stopped in KUL which was a bizarre middle of the night stay in your seat but the aircraft cleaning crew came in and cleaned around the pax). 5 new airports: HEL, OTP, PMR, SOU and XNA. Beyond happy and grateful that AUS/NZ borders re-opened, travel finally has started to feel “normal” again and a hope for 2023 is that it will be possible to fly to KBP! Happy holidays and safe travels for 2023 to all!

1 user thanked author for this post.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

6 Sectors for me – (6 more than 2020 or 2021!).

1st trip to MLE (with EK in J and used some about to expire points to fly F MLE-DXB on the 777). Very nice to. EK A380 is hard to beat with the bar.

LGW-LIS return with EZY – though return was SmartLynx I think – fantastic crew dealing with storms over LON and being stuck on tarmac at LIS – but luckily just inside hours so did make it back!

2023 will see a 1st trip to Volos (Greece) on EZY.

And a possible 1st trip to CUN – sadly rubbish BA J product. Semi-tempting to add a night in MIA on way out.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

24 Sectors for me:

GYD, LAX, SFO, HEL, SIN, CEB, HNL, LAS, AUS, MEX, PTY, GIG, GRU, DOH, IST, AUH, AMS plus a few other smaller ones including scoots to / from LON with my worlds least favourite airline.

Airlines: Turkish, Virgin, Finnair, Philippine Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, AA, Aero Mexico, Copa, Qatar, Etihad, KLM, LATAM, GOL, BA & EZY.

Best flight Qatar in Q Suite followed by worst customer service. Worst flight Philippine Airlines shocker of a replacement old bird to Hawaii and random different height beds…mines was like a bunk bed. Very peculiar.

Notable mention to Finnair, booked only because of the review on here from EDI – SIN via HEL and was very impressed, good price point good product and would use again.

Already booked SIN 1st class for 2023 and currently working (today and yesterday!) on South American to North American jaunts back via Middle East and hoping AF have a sale in Jan as I really want to try La Premiere from LAX – DXB.

Happy Christmas All.
    Best,
    AOTG.

COCODA Ltd
    Participant

35 sectors in 2022, up on 2020 and 2021, but lower than pre-pandemic times.

3 US visits, several to Europe and a big RTW schedule I’m just back from. Most European flights with Ryaniar (ex STN) or easyjet (ex LTN). Far fewer VAA flights as doing less to the US than before and HKG now finished and PVG still closed. Dropped from VAA Gold to Silver some years ago. Silver with Star Alliance (via SQ) and basic with One World (via AA). VAA joining Sky Team may help me get back to Gold.

Other points:
    – On recent RTW all flights were packed with all carriers (Gulf Air, Thai, Bangkok Airways, Qantas, REX, Fiji and VAA)
    – HH Diamond secured so will focus on them for all stays
    – Some UK lounges getting too full for PP members to access (most notably Escape lounge at STN)
    – Airline loyalty is getting spread. Status only offers Lounge access it seems, upgrades never happen and if one needs miles to boost a ticket, they can be bought or transfered from other sources
    – Air fares showing no sign of coming back down to 2019 levels
    – Worst sector? SIN – SYD on QF2 3 weeks ago. Awful experience
    – Worst hotel? Jamaica Bay Inn, Marina del Rey. A Hilton Tapestry property in desperate need of modernising (and v expensive)

Hoping to be back in th air much more again in 2023…

Safe travels all!

TominScotland
    Participant

I think about 48 sectors in 2022 for me, swelled by 4 or 5 trips between Glasgow and Dublin (hardly count) and 4 to Norway with domestic connectors as well. Long-haul to KUL, DXB, MCT and BAH. New airports in Bari, Naples and Exeter.

Quite a bit of European train travel in Norway, Sweden and Italy – all superb and so much better value, even in First, than options in the UK. Ferries across the Irish Sea (multiple) and Baltic (Stockholm to Tallinn is recommended).

2023 will be busy with long-haul planned to Japan, Australia, Malaysia (x 2) and 3 Gulf locations, maybe Hong Hong and Vietnam as well.

Wishing all a peaceful Christmas and a good 2023.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Martyn, and wishing you and all at BT and fellow Forum members a wonderful Christmas and lets all hope for a great 2023.

My total this year was a measly 10 sectors. Hopefully will be able to do my RTW using miles. Originally planned for 2021 then postponed to this year and again postponed due to ongoing COVID restrictions which now seem to be lifted. Here’s hoping!

New for me this year was Ethiopian (actually second time, last time was in 1984) and it was great – very different to the 80’s.
    Also Airlink for the first time (again not quite first time as before it was branded SA Express or something like that). Great airline that’s expanding it routes down here.
    First time in a 787 (Ethiopian).
    First time ex CPT with Lufthansa Though I have flown many times with other airlines.
    First time in about 40 years I did not fly a single sector with Swiss.
    First time transiting Rome (Ethiopian)

Quite a few “first times” for so few flights!

A few negatives:
    Downgraded to Silver with EK and ITA (Skyteam) – I’ll live!
    Demise of Kulula (which has reduced flights ex George and pushed up fares as a consequence).

Still thankfully healthy so I really can’t complain..

Best wishes to all.

4 users thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

Zero sectors in 2022 as Mrs. GivingupBA has now (wisely and correctly) banned me from flying anywhere ever because of my health. I completely agree with her as while it’s nothing fatal, flying is now too much for me. She said she will drive me round nice places in the UK.

Zero regrets whatsoever from me. I’m just so happy to have done so much amazing long-distance travel in my life.

Still reading BT, what a great website and forum, thanks to the providers and moderators and posters/members.

Happy, fruitful, and safe travels to all in 2023

6 users thanked author for this post.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

26 sectors this year.
    Majority to the US with some European, as HK / China essentially still off limits.
    Only new airport was DCA.
    Travel with BA, EZY, AY, AA, DL & JetBlue.
    Only one ex-UK flight left on time and that was my sole flight from LCY.
    Even Brittany Ferries were hours late sailing from Portsmouth!
    Enjoyed AY’s new J product, also had one excellent flight (free upgrade!) on BA new J, which is night and day better than old J, which is now so dated.
    One observation, NYC seemed much busier when moving around the city compared to London during 2022.
    One highlight (don’t laugh), LGA – terminals completely transformed and now an excellent passenger experience.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls