Emirates Seeks Etihad Takeover to Create World’s Largest Airline

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Johnnyg
    Participant

Announced today on Bloomberg,

Be interesting to see how much truth in this.

Persian Gulf airline Emirates is looking at taking over unprofitable neighbour Etihad, people familiar with the matter said, in a move that would create the world’s biggest carrier by passenger traffic.

The talks, which are at a preliminary stage, would see Dubai-based Emirates acquire the main airline business of Abu Dhabi’s Etihad, which would keep its maintenance arm, according to the people, who asked not to be named because the matter is confidential. The negotiations could yet fall through, they said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-20/emirates-said-to-be-exploring-etihad-deal-to-forge-no-1-airline?srnd=premium-europe

_glbetrkkr_
    Participant

Not surprising considering EY seems to be on a downward trajectory. From a geography perspective, it didn’t really make sense for the UAE to have two national carriers.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

travelsforfun
    Participant

I’ve been waiting for sense to prevail, though the fierce competition between the emirates, not to mention their respective pride has – and could still be – the stumbling block to a deal.

Dubai’s newer Al Maktoum airport is almost perfectly located between Dubai and Abu Dhabi to serve as the gateway to both, so having a single mega carrier flying from the single mega hub serving both cities would be smart for both.

SimonS1
    Participant

This story seems to have come out quite regularly over the last 5 years.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Stuart
    Participant

Emirates was founded to help develop Dubai as a business hub and similarly Etihad to help Abu Dhabi. So both airlines are part of wider economic development plans. Abu Dhabi is also completing its new midfield terminal a multi billion dollar infrastructure investment and Dubai has its plans to transfer operations to Al Maktoum airport. The two sheikhdoms are fiercely competitive so it would be interesting to see if and how these differing objectives can be integrated to develop the logical option of one airline serving both Emirates with one single hub.

capetonianm
    Participant

I hate to think of Emirates as even bigger and having more market dominance. It does not presage well for other airlines or for customers. It’s like a game of Monopoly and they are winning.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Makes sense for both airlines to operate at all (3?) UAE airports and EK to cover bulk pax routes high frequency, etc. whilst EY maintains a slightly higher standard on specific routes to compete at higher level. Ofcourse EK can maintain their high quality on routes they wish, too.
    One financial system and synergies between airlines. More profitable and maintaining individual reputations (and pride)!

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=890858]Makes sense for both airlines to operate at all (3?) UAE airports and EK to cover bulk pax routes high frequency, etc. whilst EY maintains a slightly higher standard on specific routes to compete at higher level. Ofcourse EK can maintain their high quality on routes they wish, too.

One financial system and synergies between airlines. More profitable and maintaining individual reputations (and pride)![/quote]

Very confusing on a number of levels.

There are more than 3 airports in UAE and more airlines too.

You don’t create profitability by splitting your operations across multiple locations whilst remaining independent.

Not to mention where that leaves FlyDubai who are increasingly integrating with EK.

Outside of a full merger nothing will happen.

Jetcruiser
    Participant

The UAE could easily design and build a SuperBullet train that takes you from DXB Airport to AUH Airport in 15 minutes or less so they can maintain a dual hub!

iflypremium
    Participant

Behind the glossy image of both airlines, is a management hellbent on making staff wish they hadn’t been born.
    Bigger doesn’t mean better and I will never fly either of these carriers.
    How many airlines do you know where the Senior Crew member HAS to write 1 negative report on you on every flight ?
    Hardly morale boosting. And then there are the lies that senior staff indulge in to make life unbearable for junior staff.
    I couldn’t care less if they merge or dissappear as neither will ever be on my list of preferred airlines.

2 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.
    I am glad to see that I am not alone in my view of these airlines, EK in particular.

Any particular reason or just because the axe you (whoever you are) wish to grind is different to the one I am grinding?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

For the Arab states, including the UAE, it would be referred to as “the Arabian Gulf”.
    Sorry for being pedantic!

capetonianm
    Participant

That is a very sensitive matter. The Iranians (Persians) become very upset at references to the ‘Arabian’ Gulf, and they hate being referred to as Arabs – because they are not. Nor do they speak Arabic although their language, Farsi, is written in an almost identical alphabet.

alainboy56
    Participant

@Stuart “the two Sheikhdoms are fiercely competitive….” Perhaps up to 10 years ago, this was at least the impression given. However since the banking crisis of, was it 2008?, that is no longer the case. Difficult to write any details here, and furthermore due to local sensitivities, one cannot imply anything, but some of those who live in UAE or work/visit UAE frequently know the the real story here.

Maybe, just joking here, but the new airline, will it be called ETIHAD EMIRATES ????? (ETIHAD means UNITED in arabic)

@captonianm — #890902 — if you really knew the half of it…………….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls