Emirates President Sir Tim Clark to step down

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

Smart decision – slowly sinking ship!

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=984003][/postquote]

May have something to do with his age?

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Surely not he’s only 70.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=984117]Surely not he’s only 70[/quote]

Would have thought he’d have been clever enough to financially plan for his future, so he didn’t need to work beyond the state pension age and retire early with a healthy final salary pension : )

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve noticed EK’s fares have increased substantially, where they are now more expensive than (in my case) Swiss or Lufthansa. I don’t suppose this has anything to do with his retirement but I do wonder if less people are now flying with them?

cwoodward
    Participant

@canucklad
    Many of us are just not suited to retirement.
    I retired once at 59 and hated it although I had planned fairley well with plenty interests and activities I missed the urgency and the cut and thrust of running a challenging business.
    After an 18 month holiday I returned to Hong Kong and bought back a controlling interest in my business and 15 years on work 50 hours + a week and have never been happier.
    The concessions made are that I take 6 weeks holiday rather than 6 days and no longer work on weekends and now go to the gym 3 times a week
    Retirement suits many however some of the happiest and most fulfilled people that I know are still working productively well into their eighties.

With EK profits down 44% last F year lower margins,higher fares, reduced passenger benefits and empty aircraft perhaps Tim Clark had little option but to ‘retire’?

canucklad
    Participant

@cwoodward
    Yep, my comments were made very much tongue in cheek.

Like yourself, I’d miss work, primarily due to me having a low boredom threshold along with not having enough in my pension pot to keep that boredom at bay.

Don’t get me wrong , It would probably be a lot easier to continue working if you’re waking up in a sunshine and naturally warm filled room every day.
    Very much the antipathy of my day so far. Dark to work, dark to home and my central heating is probably giving Greta heart palpitations : )

Slainte for 2020

capetonianm
    Participant

In the past whenever I’ve priced trips to/from ZA, Emirates have fairly consistently been amongst the 3 cheapest in most classes (except PE which they don’t offer) if not the cheapest, down there with Ethiopian, Rwandair and sometimes one of the other ME3. I notice that recently AK, KL, LX and LH are often offering better fares.

It worries me, as people who used to travel the cheapest might now start switching to the above carriers. I’d rather they stayed on EK which along with Ryanair is one of the airlines I will never use, albeit for some different reasons.

As for TC retiring, he’s deserved it and much as I despise the airline and what it stands for, he has presided over massive growth, as has Michael O’Leary with Ryanair, and both deserve recognition.

capetonianm
    Participant

Too late to edit above post but :
    AK, KL, LX and LH
    should have been :
    AF, KL, LX and LH

MarkivJ
    Participant

He’s done a great job and good luck to him in his future endeavours. Reg EK: guess the arrival of Dreamliner, A350, etc (that enable more point to point connectivity) and rise of Chinese carriers are to blame for EKs slip.

cwoodward
    Participant

MarkivJ @
    What will they do with the huge fleet of A380s that no one wants?
    Incur the mother of all massive losses is my guess.

maxgeorge
    Participant

Re: Working on after retirement age:

Let layabouts be reassured, there’s great reward in sybaritic lethargy. I retired at 60, and now travel purely for pleasure at my own pace.

The only stress I face is having to decide where to go next.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Wonder who’ll replace him. Will EK promote from within or appoint from the wider aviation world?

Sir Tim was instrumental in getting the runway extension at BHX and bringing the A380. It’s his local airport when in the UK. Sadly, EK is the only airline to use it, apart from TUI with their Langkawi flights which are probably seasonal.

esselle
    Participant

I’ve been retired for a while, after a very fulfilling career which allowed me to travel widely and enjoy the best that was on offer in terms of both aviation and hospitality.

I am now very active in a range of projects which are of interest to me personally; mentoring HIPO talent in my old industry (Hospitality), investing in small businesses that I think have a great future, learning things I never had time to whilst I was working (piano, Italian) and generally enjoying being in control of my own timetable.

Friends and colleagues I have known over the years have carried on being fully occupied with the world of work, been chairs of plc’s in their late 60’s, and running relentless agendas. Chacun etc.

I am sure Sir Tim will not disappear, but hope he has time to enjoy a bit more balance in his life.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls