EK A380 to Glasgow

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

BusinessBabble – Re: “Emirates are not currently allowed to fly to the capital, Berlin.”

Just wanted to point out that Emirates is free to serve any four cities in Germany of its choosing.

Emirates can serve Berlin but only if it were to drop one of its existing destinations in Germany (Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Munich and Hamburg) and this is something which, at the present time, it is not prepared to do.

For the same reason, Emirates also wishes to serve Stuttgart but is limited under the terms of the air services agreement.

In the case of Berlin, Emirates has even exhibited one of its A380s at ILA Berlin to press its case …. but all to no avail.

http://www.arabianaerospace.aero/ila-berlin-2012-emirates-a380-on-display.html

BusinessBabble
    Participant

Hello AMcWhirter – Thanks for the info, I wonder if it’s same rule for all Gulf Carriers in Germany, not an issue for Qatar as they only serve 3 destinations but Etihad seems to be at 4, although I think Berlin is a code share with Air Berlin. Either way, it’s a rubbish rule for anyone flying to / from Germany but good for Lufthansa.

The scale of Emirates is pretty amazing, 6 destinations in the UK, great for anyone wanting to fly to / from the regions. Back on topic I hope they bring the A380 to Glasgow!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

BusinessBabble – I don’t know about Etihad but in any case it can expand in Germany by using (as it does already) Air Berlin to fly to Abu Dhabi.

Qatar Airways is allowed to serve five destinations in Germany. It was agreed at an air services agreement signed in 2010.

But Qatar Airways has not been as succesful in the German market as has Emirates.

Note that the Doha-based carrier started flying to Stuttgart in 2011, only to drop the route a year later.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/qatar-airways-to-retreat-from-stuttgart

JohnHarper
    Participant

I think when Qatar tried Stuttgart it was very much an LH stronghold. Whether it still is since the dominant force is Germanwings who knows.

Additionally, do not underestimate the impact of TK in Germany. They have enjoyed free access and as we know from the LH rearguard actions regarding M&M earnings they have been very successful in attracting east bound traffic.

CXDiamond
    Participant

I’m just pleased to see EK doing so well in the regions, there is obviously a big market or they would not be there in the way they are.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Besides doing well from the UK regions, EK is also doing well out of Ireland. It’s just celebrated carrying its 500,000th passenger from Dublin.

http://www.businessandleadership.com/business/item/45235-emirates-reaches-500-000-du

canucklad
    Participant

Today is the day and…….
    My, My the press up here are getting themselves all in in a tizzy !!

The big beast touches down at 12.19 apparently!! And my cousins from Weedgieville & the west are being encouraged to use public transport rather than clog up the M8 !!

The EK management must be relishing in all this free publicity : )

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Yes flight EK27 to GLA departed Dubai earlier today on time at 0750hrs.

Expected to arrive in GLA on time.

The A380 pilot is from Clydebank:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/birthday-pilot-iain-is-flying-high-158900n.23905668

canucklad
    Participant

6 minutes early, surely enough time to allow ATC to authorise a fly over his hometown.
    Surely a low level flypast is planned ?

Not sure if the STB would want visitors from abroads’ first view of Scotland to be Clydebank right enough : )

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

As someone who has been fortunate to fly this plane a few times in first, a couple of legs recently from DXB – SYD / SYD – DXB, I can only enthuse about what a wonderful aircraft it is and how excellent the service has been.

On my GLA – DXB flight last month (777-300) I had a long chat with the nicest purser (Hendrick) I’ve met, very knowledgeable, very interesting and very complimentary about working with EK (He had worked for several other airlines prior to EK) – he was also particularly complimentary with the 21 year old Glenfiddich.

Similarly, on my DXB-GLA flight a lovely Scottish purser and I spent well over an hour chatting in the galley area as I needed a stretch of my legs and large glasses of white(SYD – DXB – GLA), I simply cannot say enough great things about EK’s service, product and prices for 1st class, nothing else I have flown comes close to that level of quality at the price points EK offers.

I can only hope this A380 publicity stunt works well for EK (certainly seems to be) and further than GLA and EK can reach an agreement to have this plane flying from Scottish shores, will possibly take the wind out of the sails of the other airlines vying for slots out of EDI.

Roll on July and the new EK lounge at GLA which I suspect will follow their ethos of being simply excellent.

Slainte!
    AOTG.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Has it landed yet?….Never actually flown with Emi yet (tend to use Eti a lot ) but agree that the A380 is a beauty and have done a number of round trips with Singapore Airways who were the first to fly it…..Big YES for Glasgow and Scotland.

first_class_please
    Participant

Landed 4 minutes late at 12:39

http://www.flightradar24.com

JohnHarper
    Participant

This is a great day for GLA. I see EK are now planning a one off trip for the A380 to VIE.

AOTG is right, EK win because they are innovative and offer great service. EY and QR are also good but I find the ambivalence of QR over first class strange. I’m sure they could sell it! The others do.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The A380 has now departed GLA for Dubai. Here’s a picture which appeared on twitter of the A380’s arrival.

https://twitter.com/shionamc/status/454223819772026880/photo/1

JohnHarper – I agree about QR and if policy for first class. But the product will return for the A380.

I believe any two-class long-haul carrier is taking a gamble because of the enormous comfort gap between business and economy class.

This expecially applies to QR’s B787s which have spacious 2-2 seating in business class but a really tight (as so many readers have commented) 3-3-3 layout in economy.

That is why it the Gulfies should consider (maybe they are behind the scenes ?) a premium economy cabin.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

@GLA_Airport has now tweeted a photo of EK28 taking-off for Dubai ontime at 15.35hrs.

https://twitter.com/GLA_Airport/status/454273025161310208/photo/1

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls