easyJet: Stelios Reportedly Establishing Rival FastJet

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

• Anonymous

continentalclub
    Participant

A number of outlets are carrying the story, including Sky News:

http://bit.ly/nsDNT2

In a statement EasyJet announced it was told of the new launch, and that it will act to protect its rights.

“easyJet plc announces that it has received notice from Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou that he intends to set up an airline branded Fastjet and that a website has already been established,” it said.

The budget airline added that it had a number of rights under its agreements with SIr Stelios and his easyGroup holding company and that if any of these are infringed, it “will take necessary action to protect the rights of easyJet and the interests of its shareholders”.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

He owns 37% of Easyjet for goodness sake. Why on earth does he want to set up in competition with himself? Bewildering!

VintageKrug
    Participant

It would be interesting for him to go into the “premium” LCC market, especially over longer distances.

It’s not a market which has been “got right” just yet, but there must be something in it, as Air Asia has proven.

http://www.fastjet.com/

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Horrible shade of red!

Magenta would be far better………..

LeTigre
    Participant

Or even better VK, challenge BA!

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Perhaps he’ll kick start it by buying BD!

stevescoots
    Participant

he basically has little faith in the easy board, and he dosnt get as much of a Divi back from easy as he hoped and was no doubt relying on to finance his other business interests. I doubt it will happen, no doubt easyjet will pump more cash his way to silence him

MartynSinclair
    Participant

97.3, Nick Ferrari is discussing the merits of Easy Jet. More people slating Ryan Air though including NF.

Simon Calder from the travel show gave his thoughts about the new Airline and also EJet. He thought it could have something to do with empty legs og business jets, enabling passenger a semi private jet experience from the smaller airports around London “the aviation capital of the world”!.

NTarrant
    Participant

That is simular to what was in the Independent this morning, although no slating of Ryanair.

drflight
    Participant

Rumour has it he has his eye on Bmibaby which is likely to be sold off by whoever buys Bmi British Midland from Lufthansa. With his track record I am sure Stelios would make it work. If he does I hope he will get away from free seating and have allocated seats at checking time, be it at the airport or online.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

drflight, I think the free seating is what makes EasyJet so good. Makes sure pax get to the gate in time to ensure a decent seat or sitting together.

Far better than the Ryan Air model of cramming everyone one in and ensuring you only sit in your allocated seat, ensuring that empty rows REMAIN empty to help the aircraft cleaners for a faster turn around.

VintageKrug
    Participant

No need for any more speculation. I’ve worked out what it’s all about.

Some of my closest sources tell me this picture, snapped surreptitiously early this morning during a change of hangars, is the real plan behind fastjet, and I have to say it’s a jolly good idea:

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifiedairlinerphotos/photos/big/00001125.jpg

LeTigre
    Participant

I see what you mean VK, pehaps he can build a safety reputation to rival Aeroflot! At least that way he could get all the generous dividends he obviously wants.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

bet he wouldnt get a slot out of LHR though and our American cousins would probably also deny overfly rights.

Could be a new market though for holiday flights. Arrive at your beach side bar before you left!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls