East Coast performing too well ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

Totally agree Marcus….

And after the trams fiasco in Edinburgh, i would have thought it political suicide to sell off our transport infrastructure to foregn companies……

So a big thumbs up to Maria Eagles….Dogma indeed !

Ab0dache
    Participant

I would rather like that SNCF & RATP (which owns the London United buses company) invest more in improvements in France and in the Parisian region instead of going abroad to flatter the ego of the number one in those organisations like if they were CEO of multinational companies.
    Those bosses have forgotten they are working in the public sector, which is supposed to be in the interest of the people living in France. The way they act those years, I am ready to accept them to be privatised then.

MarcusUK
    Participant

I have seen in my Healthcare Sector, Hospitals, Residential and Nursing Homes, Aged Care, Disability services, Social Care, go with the same policy of “privatisation”.
    In the end, profit comes before the service outcome, ie “Care”!
    Managers first priority, is profit, and look at the recent scandals of standards in the UK?

In 25 years of these sectors, I can tell you services run with greater transparency, higher standards, and CAN be run not for profit.
    there are some services that should remain in Governmental / National control, and certainly as mentioned, controlled from WITHIN our own country.
    We have sold out enough services, from gas, electricity, water, transport, freight trains, Airports, Ports, toll roads, all controlled overseas. The UK is for sale, and so goes the control and spiraling costs we endure here.

Here, we have a Rail Service, making a good profit, offering a high level decent service, for a reasonable cost. When things go wrong (delays etc) they come to you to remind you of what to claim. NO other Train Company in the UK does this.

Can you imagine if we used this money for Social Care, or Supported Charities, or Built Social Housing, how much benefit we would see, Especially if we had this with each privatised rail service?
    It would create such a good sense of Community, i would be proud to support such a Company, and put in place the “Society” we have lost in the UK.

Can we not have just one service, or is it too obviously embarrassing to show that a rail service can run at more than not for profit, and defeats the whole object of Privatising.

The Dutch Rail system could teach us much, low cost travel anytime same price, any train, superb clean modern 92% on time trains, clean and a National asset.

Shame on the Government for even contemplating even touching East Coast…after the last Company ditched it, as they were so incompetent to run it anywhere near as well as it is now! they grab the profit, and discharge all responsibility.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

It’s an interesting thought but if the Keolis-Eurostar bid were to succeed, the UK government would still have a role in East Coast.

Why ? Because the UK government has a 40 per cent stake in Eurostar through its ownership of London Continental Railways.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Things went badly wrong on the ECML (East Coast Main Line) yesterday when the overhead wires came down north of Peterborough.

Dozens of trains were stranded and 30,000 passengers delayed.

One East Coast train running between London and Edinburgh was seven hours late in reaching its destination.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/two-breakdowns-delay-edinburgh-train-for-12-hours-1-3150035

canucklad
    Participant

Maybe they are just getting people used to the arrival of 3rd class travel after it is re-introduced when they are reprivatised ….: )

As a tax payer I would much rather the money on HS2 was spent now on upgrading the existing network…..and to start with ….build ing extra track beside current congestion points…..

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls