Dubai top 10 attractions

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

• ekond111
    Participant

…Charles P ….you do not need to go there on business…nobody forces you to do that….as per your other suggestions for destinations…I have been to all of those – excellent choices as destinations – Stockholm is in fact my favourite destination (although…from Edinburgh I would stroll on to Sterling as I personally feel it’s a more attractive castle and then through to the A9…for the whisky trail)

Charles-P
    Participant

ekond111 – -you’re right nobody ‘forces’ me however there are practical issues. The industry I work within is now almost completley centred on the Middle East market and Dubai is about 15-20 % of my business. I have 35 employees in Europe all of whom relay on me to keep the orders coming in so I can keep paying them.

The upshot of all this is that I must keep travelling to places like Dubai despise is though I do.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Another amazing place is the Wild Wadi Water Park. I was there a couple of years ago, staying at the Burj al Arab and hope to take the kids there for a long weekend soon.

Becky, don’t worry about going with your b/f, just avoid sex on the beach – unless drunk in the safety of a hotel bar! Do not drink alcohol in public, it’s almost a greater sin than holding hands in public. Otherwise have fun and enjoy the attractions.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

This horrible news 🙁 why should i go to a country that funds terrorism and supports slavery???? Lugano Pirate why do you want to take you children there its clearly unsafe 🙁

Perhaps BT can start a campaign to stop people flying Emirates and doing business there? xx

Come on folks! Let’s face it, Dubai is a man made (skyscraper) city where one can have lots of fun, it’s more or less Disneyland in the desert. You like it or you do not. I think there is a big difference in doing business in DXB or a holiday in Dubai. Have been in Dubai dozens of times and for me there always have been more pros then cons. And what about the political correctness of let’s say USA, Israel, China, Indonesia to name a few…. There is good and bad things to mention about all these countries……

ekond111
    Participant

ICF – you’ve hot the nail on the head….Dubai as a modern society is very much in it’s infancy – Since I was a child I’ve been going there since 1977 and have seen many changes mostly positive- and it will continue to change for the better. There are many cultures there by choice, for example many Indonesians who would rather work there rather then in let’s say in a destination in their own home country (Bali for instance).

Of course it’s horses for courses and for business or pleasure – if you don’t like don’t go there for either – we all have our principles – for some money talks however you disguise it.

I have recommended Dubai as a destination to many folk – no one was overly disappointed.

skywards
    Participant

11. Emirates new first class lounge T3 DXB (Joking)

What about Wadi Wadi water park if you have children?

Wild Wadi is fun with kids as is Aquaventure! I like Aquaventure actually better…..

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I agree with ICF. Dubai is no more worse than many other places, not to mention riots in many European cities. It is a dictatorship of sorts, but so is Cuba and that’s a very popular destination.

It did get carried away with it’s property boom and bust but that has only made it a much cheaper place to visit. Yes, there are rules, and they have to be followed, but there is a lot of leniency for the westerner. It is for example one of the few, if not only, country in the area that allows an English Church. You won’t see alcohol in the supermarkets yet it is freely served (to non Muslims) in the large hotels.

So Becky, I really have no problem in taking my children there. Masses to do and they will love it as will you should you go.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

If you’ve never been and are looking for somewhere a bit different for a few days Dubai is OK as long as you are sensitive to local laws and customs. I laughed at the description of it as Disneyland and it’s quite accurate. A colleague describes Singapore as Disneyland with the death penalty meaning that it’s fairly perfect until you scratch the surface, I suppose the same is very true of Dubai and Dubai is a less mature version of Singapore.

Go and enjoy!

premiumflyer
    Participant

Charles-P, please enlighten me as to why you find the expats in Dubai so ghastly? I am a British expat residing in Abu Dhabi, do you tar me with the same brush?

Charles-P
    Participant

premiumflyer – I have never met you (to the best of my knowledge) so I have no idea as to your personality. My comments are I think fair based on many trips to the region over 15 years. My experience of the typical ex-pat in the region is one of a chancer who failed to make it in their own country so upted sticks and went off to the Gulf, I find the majority patronising to the non Emiratie workers, rude about most Arabs behind their backs and clearly are only there for a quick buck after which they intend to get out as soon as they can.

premiumflyer
    Participant

Charles-P, I agree some expats do relocate to the Gulf to make money, however in my case it was a lifestyle decision. My partner and I both left well paid jobs in the UK to relocate here in order to give our children a more varied life. My partner and I both experienced expat living as children and wanted our children to experience it. They now attend one of the best schools in the Gulf, regularly travel within the region as well as the Far East and Australasia, have a very diverse group of friends and enjoy a carefree childhood in a relatively crime free environment. We tend to mix with like minded people, including Emiratis. We had the opportunity to live in Dubai but opted for Abu Dhabi which in our opinion is a classier, more traditional city, Dubai is definitely a ‘marmite’ city, you either love it or hate it. Our plan is to stay in the region for many years to come. You have been most unfortunate meeting so many awful expats! I shall now retire to the warmth of my patio, a very pleasant 30 degrees today, how’s the UK weather? Central heating on yet?!

Charles-P
    Participant

premiumflyer – Thanks for the considered response. I agree with your view that Abu Dhabi is classier than Dubai but not to the extent I would want to live there. I am sure there are people who have a broader cultural understanding of the region and it seems you may well be one of them judging by your writing.

Having been born and raised in Africa I welcome the changing seasons of Europe as more enjoyable but I have no idea of the weather in the UK, I don’t live there.

Enjoy your 30 degree patio, I am off to buy food for our winter BBQ, nothing like a warm open fire on a chilly evening.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls