Disabled travel – are you affected?

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

on the LH 340’s you have to climb down stairs to the toilets..

Annieweb
    Participant

On another toilet issue on aircraft. I can just about get the on board wheelchair into the toilet and transfer, but for someone who cannot stand at all trying to reach the high wash basin to wash my hands is near impossible. They haven’t thought this through. My husband has to wash and soap his hands and wipe mine like you do a child – ridiculous. I am sure human rights must come into this somewhere!

BigDog.
    Participant

Interesting development by the superb designers Priestmangoode.

Their “Air Access” seat is on the short-list for the design of the year 2013 prestigious award.

Their sales pitch… Air Access is a concept that facilitates air travel for PRMs (Passengers with Reduced Mobility) by enabling an easier transition from gate to aircraft. The ingenious design aims to reduce the indignity and discrimination that PRMs face when travelling by air.

The pictures explain it all (part way down under their what’s new tab)

http://www.priestmangoode.com/

IMO, a few of these seats should be compulsory on new, large aircraft.

Priestmangoode had a large input into the design of T5.
    Also take a look at the “Aviation” tab for some of their existing and forthcoming designs.

Annieweb
    Participant

Thanks for posting this BigDog. But you still can’t be independent as you still need to be pushed and have they tested it in the toilet? The footrests stick out a long way making it quite difficult to transfer on to it, unless they can be moved out the way. I also fly business or first class and it looks like it is based on economy seating. Also you still have to transfer from your own wheelchair to this one. In BA business class my own wheelchair actually goes right up to my seat for an easy transfer, but then I do have to transfer to the on board wheelchair every time I need the loo.

I watched the video link in the link you included and the athlete said it all in a nut shell. It’s only when I fly that I feel disabled. So very true and this new chair to be honest isn’t going to make much difference to some disabled people. I would love to speak to the designers though.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Annie, I have learnt something new from you… I had noticed that the new CX B777s have a disabled toilet (in the business class section, as it happens) which is – by aeroplane standards – huge. But it still has a normal height sink…

BigDog.
    Participant

Judging from the PriestmanGoode website Annie, they are positively seeking to engage with people who can provide constructive input to help improve design. So go for it Annie and keep us posted as to what transpires.

BigDog.
    Participant

If true, this is a most unwelcome development…

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2302780/Plane-toilets-set-shrink-airlines-look-save-space.html

… the articles comments take a similar view.

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls