Dining at T5?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Anonymous

Ricardo
    Participant

In a few weeks time I shall be flying LHR – HKG in BA (New?)F. Normally I fly to US at more sociable hours and eat on plane to save time at airport. However my HKG flight departs 21:55 and so suspect food on plane will be fairly limited. I would be interested in travellers comments whether to have pre-flight dinner at:
    a) Concorde Room, or
    b) Restaurant in T5, or
    c) Restaurant in Sofitel?

I know food in Concorde Room is free but I would rather pay to have something decent (and BA’s reputation, from reading other forums, is not THAT good!).

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Ciao, R.

rcfyelee98
    Participant

Restaurant every time. Concorde room is better than airplane food and fast food. But it isn’t better than food from a good restaurant. That said, I have never tried Gordon ramsey’s restaurant at t5

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Lite snack in Concorde room and then a fress on the aircraft. If you are concerned about the food on board, select a special meal in advance.

You could even be inquestive and go into the First Lounge as the food offerings at the buffet is (very) good.

SpeedDog
    Participant

I have been impressed by La Belle Epoque restaurant at Sofitel T5. It serves classic French food – the food and wine are good and the room is very nice.

You could follow that with a nightcap in the Concorde Room.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I wouldn’t bother with the Sofitel Restaurant; I’ve only sampled breakfast there, but it wasn’t very good (and it’s hard to mess up breakfast) and the prices were stratospheric.

Plane Food by Gordon Ramsay, airside, is as good a place as any, and has excellent views:

http://www.gordonramsay.com/planefood/

Having said that, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed by the food in the Concorde Room. I’d recommend you potter into the Concorde Room, take a look at the menu and order something which takes your fancy; if it turns up and isn’t to your liking it’s but a short one minute walk through the white door to Plane Food.

You might also take a look at the buffet offerings in the First lounge, though I doubt they’d tickle your fancy.

A Plane Food Picnic can be fun as well, but it’s entirely unnecessary in F, as you can dine whenever you please, and there will be a full menu available, despite the time of the flight (though you might not want a big meal at that time of night, the soup is always delicious and easy to have served up quickly before bedding down for the night).

KrishnanNarayanan
    Participant

I’d definitely go for the Concorde Room; make sure you check out the “all-day menu” (available on the tables) as well as the dinner menu (which you only get if you go to the dinner area). If you don’t like the latter, you can mix and match with the former (the charcuterie plate and burger are excellent).

The food in F is, if you ask me, is highly variable – there have been some especially icky meals on board over the last 3 years and little curry (which was always top-notch) – but the food in the Concorde Room is consistently delicious. I’d agree with some above that the First lounge buffet isn’t too bad either – the opportunity to help yourself (to as much as you want) is an advantage.

One final point. Though the flight is at 21.55, the food won’t be limited – if for some reason you miss out on your meal on the ground. There’s a full meal service and, naturally, you can eat when you want.

Happy flying. New F (if you’re lucky) to HKG is always a treat.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I guess it depends a bit on the dining experience you want. At the end of the day, the CCR is an airport lounge and nothing more, it’s what it looks like and feels like, a bit better than some and not as good as others. The food is OK. Given the choice, I generally prefer the buffet in the F lounge as then I choose what I want.

I don’t rate Plane Food on any front and it can be very busy and noisy.

My preference if I had time would be the Sofitel, I had a great meal there about three weeks ago in a party of ten an no one had a word of criticism for the food, wine or service at the end. That was consistent with my previous experience of it. It’s not free of course but then again, you get what you pay for.

Tim2soza
    Participant

Concorde room food is good quality Bistro food and quite adequate. Service is in need of a training upgrade.

esselle
    Participant

For fun, could we expand this thread a little and comment on good places to eat and drink in airport terminals around the world?

I would happily recommend Cafe Deco at HKG, Altitude at GVA, and L’Atelier des Deux Rives at LYS.

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

Oriel at T3 is very good at LHR.

YO! Sushi is very good at T3 but always to busy to get in.

“rhubarb” at T3 looks new any one been in there or is not new and I am getting blind in my old age.

Carluccio’s is good but its before Before Security at T5 LHR.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Atlanta Jackson Airport can be a horrible place, especially the international immigration palaver having the double pick-up of baggage and double security due to being co-mingled with domestic departures after passing through international.

I have been caught several times as have forgotten to transfer my recently purchased duty free liquids from my hand luggage to main luggage resulting in being confiscated at domestic departure security which is before the second international bags claim

(This frustrating situation is hopefully being fixed shortly)

However, they have a Smoothie King Franchise both in the terminal D, and a better cafe on Virginia Ave, a perimeter road, with very comfy seats and huge range of fresh, refreshing, revitalising pick-me-ups.
    I pick up the car head for the Smoothie King then am well set up to drive.

Alternatively One-Flew-South in Terminal E – International. Exceptional for Airport food.

Danwolf
    Participant

Has anyone tried the dining at the Cathay Pacific F Lounge? I passed through a couple times last week, but wasn’t sufficiently hungry enough to eat at that time (didn’t want to eat for the sake of it :-).

RichHI1
    Participant

I commuted through HKG in 2006 and used to eat there once every two weeks before catching late flight to UK. I thought it was very good quality (better than Concorde Room), though back then I remember there was a mixed service and buffet element to it.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Forgot to mention the Chilli Crab or Creamy Butter Crab at Changi.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls