Daily Newspaper: what are you reading?

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

• AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Daily: FT online
    Weekly: Economist
    Monthly: Prospect
    Periodically: (LBS) Business Strategy Review and Chatham House’s (RIIA) periodical and the Mongol Messenger online.

I dispensed with the services of the Grauniad and Observer post-2010 and have never allowed a copy of the DailyGetsmuchworse (the Daily Mail) to darken my door – ever.

MarkCymru
    Participant

I pay for the Independent and the Western Mail in print (but like others, I’m a big fan of the i too). Online, I pay for the NY Times (there is still an online international version, BTW — they had a long story about Llanelli rugby last week!), the Christian Science Monitor (still the best foreign coverage from a US newspaper) and both the UK and US editions of The Week.

I read The Guardian a lot, The Hindu (which still has the luxury of journalists who can take weeks to write an in-depth science or international relations story), Le Monde and Pùblico (oddly, one of the world’s most innovative online papers comes from Portugal but it’s only in Portuguese). From time to time, Politico (for US politics), Dawn (for the best coverage of Pakistan and Afghanistan), the Washington Post (already showing signs of all that Amazon money), News 24 (for Africa) and Ha’aretz (for a strong independent voice on the Middle East)

Like others, I’m a big fan of Al Jazeera for broadcast coverage. Russia Today (rt.com) is worth checking occasionally to get the other side of the story (and its English service is very slick). France 24 is excellent in French and not bad in English (especially for coverage of Africa)

Swissdiver
    Participant

I think as well it is very interesting to see other perspectives! I find RT however sometimes far fetch and have the impression to see USSR type of info… On the other hand, the big BBC fan I am is a bit disappointed these days as they focus on 3 or 4 news and that’s pretty it. And I love Al Jazeera!

Back to the newspapers, many of you read the Daily Telegraph. I used to love it. But I have to say that these days, I prefer by far the Guardian (bear in mind I am only mildly interested in the domestic British news) to the extent I am considering a subscription (I know most of the content can be accessed on their website but do consider the press can only survive if readers pay).

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Personally, The Times (because I think overall, it’s still the best) and the Daiy Mail (because I like a laugh as much as anyone).

Also get The Spectator, which I rate very highly.

The Guardian and the Independent are both good, but inconsistently so.

TV news: the Beeb, especially overseas, and Al-Jazeera which I think is truly excellent.

stevescoots
    Participant

I also confess to scanning through the DM…call it the daily sport for grown ups!

for serious news its the BBC online or independant. on the other side its the SCMT or China Daily.

have not parted with cash for a newspaper in probably 15 years.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

When arriving at Heathrow on a Sunday morning I always find that the Sunday Times is about right for my tube run to Oakwood North London ( Piccadilly Line) @ 1hour 45 minutes on a good day.

During a weekday its usually (again) The Times or Evening Standard…or both…plus anything left lying about..

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ll also fess up to reading the DM online. I love Steve’s comment. The Daily Sport for grown ups 😉

Otherwise it’s my 10 free articles a month of The Telegraph.

I have fully paid subs to the FT and the Economist both of which I read on my iPad. For those who subscribe, you can read the FT on portable devices as if you have the paper in hand. It’s great. FT.com/epaper

Bullfrog
    Participant

Used to love reading the Guardian in paper, and occasionally the Daily Telegraph.

Now, I read The Times on the iPad as it is a great platform. I only wish the DT would up it’s game for tablets. I also read the FT and Economist on the iPad.

MarcusUK
    Participant

When i travel, for a European flight on board, i always buy the paper copy of The Times. It fills in total the time for a short (say AMS-LHR) flight.I also feel it is well balanced and accurate, very worldly informative, and a good finance and Business section.

I do buy it when in the UK, but again mostly when i travel by train and have time to sit back and occupy myself for the trip. Otherwise, I access on the tablet headlines, or Channel 4 for the best world news if near the TV in the eve.

I did try and subscribe to the electronic version, but it was not reliable, problems with downloads, and other newspapers offer their version on line free (Guardian The Telegraph).

Funny though, I often see businessmen sitting next to me very uncomfortable not being able to access the electronics, and fumbling with something to do, very out of their comfort zone. The old paper copy does not affect this, and The Times Euros 4 in the EU or £1 is well worth it.
    I really do not want to be in a position looking at the seat ahead or round the cabin, or messing with the inflights magazine, completely jumpy, as I have seen so many times.

Much more relevant for shorter European flights, than Med/ Long haul when you have some IFE options, though i also do like to update on long haul if you can get paper copy not days old from some embarkation point.

There are some weekly British newspapers in paper form in Oz and around Asia, sometimes if desperate i will buy, but invariably it is old news. Depends how far away you are, as in Australia, you here little of the UK, so a weekly copy can be interesting and link you in with home.

CNN and BBC drive me mad with the cyclical news in hotels rooms!

Thanks MarkCymru

I have just installed the Público app. Fortunately, my comprehension of the language remains excellent. I just wish I could say the same thing about my oral skills…these days when I attempt to speak Portuguese, I end up speaking Spanish with a Brazilian accent!

MarkCymru
    Participant

@alexpo – you know the old joke about the Argentinian who’s lived in Brazil for years and asks a Brazilian friend tentatively “diga-me, eu ainda falo português com um sotaque espanhol?” (tell me, do I still speak Portuguese with a Spanish accent?) “Na verdade, não” replies her friend. The Argentinian is relieved until the friend adds, “você fala espanhol com um sotaque português” (you speak Spanish with a Portuguese accent).

And Público is, of course, European Portuguese which is sometimes enough to fry a foreigner’s mind (assuming that, like me, you learned in Brazil)

Try http://www.ionline.pt as well. The Portuguese have got quite a knack when it comes to visually-stunning online newspapers

Wonderful Mark!

I ‘studied’ Portuguese in London, did an intensive course in Lisbon at the end of my 1st year and spent my year abroad in Rio. Within weeks I was talking like a Carioca and, if I ever need to do a runner to Brazil!, I will be one of the locals again in a matter of days.

Cheers!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls