Daily Newspaper: what are you reading?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

• Anonymous

Swissdiver
    Participant

I am wondering what you are reading in terms of daily newspaper(s), excluding local ones. And are you reading it on paper or on a tablet (or computer)?

I feel a bit like an orphan after the disappearance of the International Herald Tribune. Of course there is that thing called International New York Times, but it only exist on paper (the iPad app was merged with the NY Times). So I cancelled my subscription and now look at various options…

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Daily Telegraph or Guardian (depending on my mood) and Observer on a Sunday. Having said that I’ve barely purchased a newspaper in the last few weeks (I used to get one everyday).

And for quality world news on TV/ Internet, Al Jazeera or Channel 4 News I find much better than the rubbish on BBC/ITV (at least in the UK).

capetonianm
    Participant

I didn’t know the IHT had gone. No great loss, I only ever used to read it when there was nothing else available on long business class flights.

I usually read the Telegraph online to find out what the right wing anti-EU opinion (because that concurs with my views) is about what’s going on in the world, the Mail and Guardian to find out what’s going in SA, and the Daily Mail to see which ‘celebrity’ scum has the biggest tits or the worst facelift.

When I buy a newspaper, it’s usually the Telegraph.

Other newspapers I find give good global coverage are the Sydney Morning Herald, although I’m not interested in the local content, and the Independent.

Overall, the Economist, which is officially a newspaper, is probably one of the most relevant and focused and I tend to look at the website daily.

We got a 2 year paper subscription to Time for slightly more than it’s worth, about nothing, other than for lighting the fire. Fortunately it ends soon and despite their ongoing invitations to me to subscribe at ever decreasing rates, I won’t be.

I don’t have a tablet although I am thinking of giving in and getting one, was actually offered a Nexus free the other day but it was too small and fiddly and I can’t use touchscreens for some reason. The idea of being able to download a whole newspaper and read it without being online does appeal.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

The Economist is my fave, with the Independent (both the UK and the Maltese titles) and the DT.

Swissdiver
    Participant

@capetonianm: I liked the IHT because I could go through in minutes to get the essential world info (when too busy for more) or read it more in depth.
    Regarding tablets, offline is useful, as well as in the bed…

Bath_VIP
    Participant

The Economist is the only paper/magazine that I actually buy. Funnily enough I don’t bother with the website yet I rely on the web for all my regular news using a mixture of the BBC/ Daily Telegraph/Huffington Post. I tend not to use the TV for news nowadays but if I do it tends to be BBC/Sky/CNN.

Alasdair
    Participant

The Times and Independent. If not, the Guardian, but always FT and Observer on the weekend. Quite like Monocle magazine but its Japanese obsession is a little irrelevant to me.

BigDog.
    Participant

I no longer take a daily newspaper in print form.

The DT and FT are my main source of daily online decent reading though shamefully also look at the DM.

Also have subscriptions to :

The Week – a printed and online mag containing a synopsis of the headlining events and global comment gleaned from a plethora of local and international sources. Read the print version but also available on tablet.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/

The HBR for business thinking – Tablet and Print

http://hbr.org/

and The Economist. Tablet and Print.

To keep appraised of innovations I thoroughly enjoy Ted.com – online only.

Am in agreement with TimF wrt C4 and Al J as I find the BBC is somewhat jaundiced on a range of political and economic subjects.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi BigDog

That is shameful about the DM but at least you are open and honest about it!! 😉 The best way to solve these kind of issues is to get them out in the open.

My friend has an app (for want of a better word) that when he somehow finds that he has gone to the URL of a DM page – redirects to a website with lots of pictures of cute kittens. Genius.

canucklad
    Participant

Unlike quite a few of you, I’ve tried to read newspapers and magazines using “ooh la la fancy dancy devices” and realised I’m in love with paper.

So total kudos to all of you who have embraced this new fangled technology.

Having said that Sky News and Sports is my favourite app
    Channel 4 news is superb too.

Anyway Holiday Inn supply me with the Daily Express, easy to read and like capetonianm it keeps me up to date with a certain view of the world. Unlike capetonianm it’s so I can understand what my enemy is thinking : )

If I’m buying a paper it would be the 20p “ I “ , concise with a bit of commentary if the subject matter appeals to me.
    Sunday on Scotland is my weekend indulgence.
    The Province/Vancouver Sun /South China Post & occasionally the Daily Nation also make it onto my radar.

Oh and almost forgot, for in-depth analysis and major scoops I truly miss the Daily/Sunday Sport

BigDog, recommend you watch BBC’s excellent “The revolution will be televised”

There is a reporter called Dale Maily , along with the 2 MP’s called James Twottington-Burbage the Tory and sidekick liberal Barnaby Plankton
    Brilliantly funny !!

toonfan62
    Participant

USA Today – phone and tablet, and Mirror, Mail Football (not “Throwball”) on iPhone or updates ex Twitter

BigDog.
    Participant

Have been thinking about admitting to it for a while Tim, glad it is now out in the open 😉
    Thanks for the tip Canucklad, looks just the type of prog I would thoroughly enjoy, pity it wasn’t promoted as I had never heard of it. It appears the 2nd series just ended so will try to get it on iplayer.

El País, paper version only. It’s also available online in English:

http://elpais.com/elpais/inenglish.html

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Sky News – CNN – BBC websites are my daily news read..

If I am on the tube, Standard or Metro…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls