Credit Card Fraud – Help Needed

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks SwissExPat, and hope to see you soon. It was not CS and at the time an online facility was not available. It is now but too late for me!

I agree with you Capetonian, I use cash now wherever possible and find shops and restaurants prefer it. Places I frequent regularly even offer me a discount for paying cash so it has it’s benefits.

I am a big fan of my prepaid credit card as every transaction shows up on my online statement in real time, unlike my bank-issued one.

BA4ever
    Participant

Alexpo1, do you use your pre-paid for non-online purchases?
    I’ve never thought of doing that, LOL!

I wish BA’s website accepted pre-paid cards. They say that because their website is secure they don’t accept them but how can one be 100% sure about internet transactions???

Hi BA4ever

I have used my prepaid card on ba.com many times without any problems and, as I said, the transaction appears immediately on my statement. In fact, the only difference between this card and my normal CC is that I don’t receive a scary bill at the end of the month LOL

SwissExPat
    Participant

I have generally stayed away from prepaid credit cards since it seems that it costs the user to “load them up” at rates such as 1 to 2%

Am I missing something?

You are correct SwissExPat. In my case it is €1 each time I top it up, but then there is no annual fee.

BA4ever
    Participant

Blimey! I tried using it a few years ago and it wasn’t accepted. I called BA and they told me that they don’t accept pre-paid cards!

Mine is 1% for transactions under 500 euros. After that, it’s free.

PaulRWoods
    Participant

The CC used most frequently by me is AmEx and then MasterCard
    I have with both an arrangement to receive electronic monthly statements and AmEx informs me immediately by email if anything above US $ 100 is charged to my card.
    Of course – I have to check my mailbox regularly but until now every fraudulent use was refunded fully (AmEx needs less than 48 hours, MasterCard needed six weeks).

maxgeorge
    Participant

Lugano Pirate – Little consolation, I know, but much travelled writer Paul Theroux had his card cloned in Namibia too.

Efficient, orderly Windhoek! Who’da thunk?

I suppose Japan and Finland are the only safe places left, unless you’re having yet another late night of shame in a karaoke bar.

capetonianm
    Participant

Someone else who’s read Theroux latest book, Last Train to Zona Verde. What a great book ,because he doesn’t kowtow to the poltically correct view of how wonderful Africa is now that it’s freed from the ‘tyranny of colonisation’ he depicts Angola as it is, a festering decaying heap of corruption, kleptocracy, and fraud.

I felt completely safe using my CCs in Iceland.

maxgeorge
    Participant

Ja, Kaapmaat, Angola seems to be almost as awful as Nigeria. But, given the visa barrier, I’ve not been able to see for myself since before the wars.
    Luanda was lovely in the sixties, mind. As, of course, was Mocambique.
    But look how Zambia has come right. Very pleasant that side, nowadays.
    “ex africa semper aliquid novi “

Possibly off topic….

On his journey from Cairo to Cape Town, I think one of the few of Theroux’s positive comments was on Maputo’s train station which I have had the good fortune to visit…but then I only see what I want to see as a good friend once told me.

I would dearly love to visit Angola. I will certainly buy PT’s latest. I have always been a big fan since a teenager but his pessimism started to get me down….but that man can certainly write.

CC fraud can happen anywhere, even from the comfort of your living room.

judynagy
    Participant

LP, this is just HORRIBLE. Always been my worst nightmare, and there seems to be little assistance … you’re on your own and waste so much time and energy to get it unscrewed. This has not, thankfully, happened to me, but I do trust American Express and Chase Bank to take care of me … the rest of the issuers not so much. I hope all is well by now..

CarlaDevis
    Participant

Credit card fraud is increasing day by day and one thing while the credit card fraud incident rate jumped, debit card fared better. There are some CNP (card not present) frauds which occur when the physical card is not used at the time of transaction, like online or over the phone purchases. So, avoid these type of purchases will help to keep you safe at from these frauds. With all the reasons unnecessary credit is a bad idea and debit cards is better ..Thanks for sharing your views to get ideas to keep safe from these frauds.

RetiredLawyer
    Participant

I know it is different in the U.S. – U.S. law says the cardholder is only liable for $50 in fraudulent charges prior to reporting, and $zero after reporting to the bank.
    But I make it a practice to call my bank to let them know when I am out of the U.S. and which countries I will be in, just prior to departure (often in the lounge waiting for the flight). This keeps the bank from blocking the card, and keeps the fraudulent charges off my statement.

LP – you could always try to get a U.S. issued card.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls