Credit Card Fraud – Help Needed

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 61 through 63 (of 63 total)

• manxman123
    Participant

Credit and Debit card fraud will always be with us, and it can happen to any of us. Two suggestions of “good practice”
    1. Have your debit card on a separate bank account which has no overdraft facility, and keep a lowish balance in it. You can transfer funds to it from your main account online via internet banking as and when you need to. This limits your potential loss. But make sure you have it in writing from the bank that there is not overdraft facility on the account!
    2. Don’t have a credit card that is issued by your bank. They ultimately have the power to raid your bank account to settle the outstanding debt – see the small print in standard conditions. But a 3rd party card issuer would need a court order to make you pay. Much safer from your point of view.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Somewhere between LCY and FFM I lost my credit card wallet containing all my cards. Sadly the cards I had separated, were left at home!!

I only realised as I was about to leave for dinner in FFM.

6 bank/credit/atm cards involved.

All dealt with very swiftly, but what really amazed me that only 1 company (Barclays Bank) were able to provide a next day replacement service and it had to be in the UK at a local branch, which isn’t a problem.

Amex, no longer are able to provide next day replacement (that’s what they told me).

I do have a centralised point with my insurance, to make 1 call to cancel, but realised, looking at a scanned copy of all my cards, which I keep on my lap top that it was well out of date..

What surprised me though was the number of questions being asked to cancel/block the cards.

Oyster card (London travel card) was simple – online done in seconds and it still had over credit…

Barclays Bank (although redeemed themselves with the next day replacement) was the worst, asking 7 “security” questions, including who and how much was my broadband monthly fee….

I was not able to cancel any card (except the Oyster) either through an app or a full on line system…..

SergeantMajor
    Participant

I lost my Amex on Sunday, reported iton Monday had a courier at home Tuesday with the new card.

Very impressed.

My bank took three days, but I’m happy with that.

MS, I wouldn’t disclose who you bank with on a public forum.

Viewing 3 posts - 61 through 63 (of 63 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls