Crash landing at Warsaw

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Anonymous

azidane
    Participant

Having just seen footage of the B767 landing from Newark without the gear deployed it looks like the pilot did a fantastic job in bringing the plane down and it actually looked a smoother landing than I have experienced on other airlines (with gear deployed) Well done to that pilot

Bucksnet
    Participant

Binman62
    Participant

The flight crew did a fabulous job. Without the aid of any landing gear they kept that aircraft right on the centre line. Text book stuff!

Was the runway lined with foam…very few sparks?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Wow!

Very smooth; impressive!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15543209

I think, technically, that was a controlled landing rather than a crash landing. Just goes to show how safe aircraft are these days.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“I think, technically, that was a controlled landing rather than a crash landing. Just goes to show how safe aircraft are these days.”

To quote VK from another thread “rubbish and more rubbish.”

Landing without gear falls under the spectrum of crash landing, no matter how excellently executed and the aircraft will require inspection and some costly repairs before returning to service. The airfield will have declared a full emergency, just in case.

The aicraft was not the factor that made this safe, but the skill of the handling pilot. Aircraft have been brought back safely to earth without gear for decades.’

@Bucksnet, an interesting point you raise about alternate gear mechanisms. I’ve no idea how they work on a 767, but on one light twin I have logged hours on, there was a gas bottle and also a gravity release switch as alternates to the electro-hydraulics, giving three ways to drop the wheels.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Yes, I always thought there was some sort of manual backup to the push a button/slide a lever in the cockpit automatic system.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Amazing video, well done to the pilot and I’m delighted everyone is safe.

PatJordan
    Participant

Regardless of what you call it, this landing was an amazing feat, a combination of Captain Wrona’s skill and aircraft design. The video is indeed amazing.

LeTigre
    Participant

If you watch the video carefully at the end it looks like the fire-engine is hosing all the passengers down at the back!

Incredible indeed!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

There were plenty of sparks as you can see in this excellent photo –

http://www.airliners.net/photo/LOT—Polish/Boeing-767-35D/ER/2006892/L/

And foam was definitely used –

http://www.airliners.net/photo/LOT—Polish/Boeing-767-35D/ER/2006929/L/

JordanD
    Participant

Regarding the issue of foam – whilst the photo above shows foam a the point the plane came to rest, reading from elsewhere online, foam wasn’t used further down the runway where the plane “landed” – apparently, the wisdom these days is that the positive effect of the foam in supress sparks and fire is heavily outweighed by the decreased friction and higher potential for slippage that the foam brings.

But yes once “wheels stop” the foam is deployed in great volumes. (As someone who has had the opportunity to ‘play’ with the RAF Fire Tenders at a fast-jet air base, they can really deploy water and foam at an amazing rate).

HonestCrew
    Participant

Possible that if there was a way to allow the landing gear to deploy using gravity, some or all of the gear may not have been locked into position. This could have made a very messy landing and who knows where the aircraft would have ended up? Belly landing was probably the safest bet here.

Bucksnet
    Participant

This is the first landing of a 767 where none of the gear could be deployed.

KeaneJohn
    Participant

Absoloutely incredible.

I am told that the pilots conversation regarding the landing with ATC is calm and you wouldnt think that there was a problem.

I bet the first thing he had to do though was change his underpants…

In all seriousness though thats what they are trained for and he earnt his salary on that trip.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls