Crash landing at Warsaw

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

• Travelon
    Participant

An impressive landing. Rumour has it that the pilot knew there was an issue shortly after take-off. I can see the logic of carrying on to Warsaw – company cost of the recovery in a foreign airport (or river); no need to dump fuel; local airport knowledge. But I wonder what would have been the actual decision criteria? Any ideas?

canucklad
    Participant

I recall many years ago that a CP Air Jumbo departed Narita and it’s landing gear was damaged on take-off due to protesters at the end of the runway

The Captain followed protocol by first checking that all Flight control functionality and back up systems were still 100% operational— then contacted the maintenance base at YVR for further advice before starting their trans pacific crossing

The Captain chose not to alert the passengers until they reached YVR and then went through the Emergency Landing procedures– including a low flypast of the control tower to check the extent of the damage—He performed a perfect landing even with the stricken wheel bogeys

As you mentioned the decision was made to fly onto YVR tio burn off the fuel rather than dumping it and also to land at the aircrafts home base where expert advice would be available..

I think the crew got commendations…

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls