Coronavirus: UK brings back 14-day quarantine for Spain

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

• PeterCoultas
    Participant

I must be wrong, of course, but where do you get your info from…? Spain and the UK are much of a muchness…. both useless..as of today the figures I find are both with around 300,000 cases but the UK at 688 deaths per million and spain slightly lagging at 608 per million… hardly a reason for a Boris Panic to restrict return from spain… (unless you are a wimp)

anuhya5
    Participant

Corona changed our lives, our lives became like BC 2020 and AC 2020.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Reeferman
    Participant

The number of cases in Spain per capita is currently running at over double that of UK:
    https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

The measure that each Country uses to ascertain its death rate is also very different – with Spain having changed its reporting methodology at the end of May.

Further, even within Spain the methods used differ with the Central Govt taking the lowest opinion it seems:
    https://www.catalannews.com/society-science/item/why-is-spain-as-a-whole-reporting-fewer-new-covid-19-deaths-than-catalonia

I would treat Spain’s numbers with caution and certainly not draw any comparisons between Spain and UK – certainly as far as deaths assigned to/from/with COVID are concerned

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Closer to home than Asia. Guernsey takes quarantine rules very seriously indeed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-53556429

…naturally, the culprits are English and there is a pub involved…

ontherunhome
    Participant

Well at least they won’t be homeless for 150/300 days. Serves them right.

GeorgeJ
    Participant

Quite correct with regard to rate Reeferman. One factor to watch is that the ecdc table provides figures averaged over 14 days, when the disease is surging out of control this downplays the relative severity of the epedemic versus a country with relatively stable numbers such as the UK.
    If you look at the positive case rate over the last 7 days the UK average is 10 per million and Spain is 42. If you look at the last available day (27 July) the Uk was still at 10 and Spain was 136. Hard to argue against restrictions with that sort of data coming through.

cwoodward
    Participant

The 14 day quarantine for Spain seems to me to be a ‘no brainer’ and the first correct firm and solid piece of coronavirus related travel restriction the UK government has managed to enact.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls